News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Carnegie Collection Discontinued

Started by Dan, March 10, 2015, 09:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikessauro

I'm actually and oddly satisfied with this. You see, this way Safari can focus their effort on WS line and other possible lines they may come up with, since there will be no more Carnegie interests to interefere. Carnegie has lots of cool models, but they line is stuck in the past, half of the toys were outdated and their price is quite high. WS dinos is going to benefit a lot with it.

Arul

Just...wow !  :o strong decision. Im feeling so lucky i just got my carnegie tylosaurus few days ago, i need one year to find that :') and my next target is actually carnegie amargasaurus...very sad

Pachyrhinosaurus

This is very bad news for the Carnegie Collector. I can see how models are more expensive to make due to museum involvement, not to mention more time-consuming, particularly in the last few years, however this is a surprise to me. I, as many others here, started my collection through my childhood with Carnegie. I am not happy to see them go, particularly if it is from competition from Japanese companies, or other new ones. Carnegie has the name of dinosaur toys. If I said anything about any toy dinosaur, particularly through elementary or middle school, I would compare it to Carnegie, as many people recognized it and then knew what I meant.  It is sad to see them go and I hope to have the velociraptor as soon as I can, which completes my set of those still in production. As Battats are now, I expect Carnegies to become very sought-after, so I am going to stock up on a few of the best models while I can.
In terms of the future, I hope Doug or any future sculptors can make the Wild Safari line as successful and diverse as The Carnegie. There were lots of species done and those which should have been done by Carnegie which would make for some good subjects. Even though The Carnegie Collection is no longer in production, I am still happy to have my models and the fact that I acquired what I did. This also leaves one of the Museum lines still in production; Bullyland's.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

DinoLord

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on March 11, 2015, 01:01:53 AM
As Battats are now, I expect Carnegies to become very sought-after, so I am going to stock up on a few of the best models while I can.

I'm curious about this myself. I suspect the value will go up somewhat, but given that Carnegies have been so widely distributed I don't think it will get extreme.

docronnie

Sad to hear this news. Hope to get some more from this line.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

amargasaurus cazaui

I think a few of the comments here are totally missing the mark and perhaps not seeing the big picture.....Safari and Carnegie chose to part ways for reasons unstated.....and while most feel justified placing the burden of this choice on Carnegie for not updating sculpts and producing better figures, it is also quite possible this is why Carnegie is moving away from Safari as well. I think it takes two to make a disagreement and there are two sides in any discussion.....
Carnegie might very well shock everyone and move to another venue for their replicas. Noone is even asking the obvious questions...perhaps Carnegie was trying to offer more accurate replicas or figures without tripod stances and it was Safari that was the stumbling block. I do know that blaming the sculptor, a tactic used by a few here is not particularly well thought out nor does it contain much accuracy. Forest herself had expressed numerous times her frustration with this problem, and it was Safari who insisted they retain the tripod stance. Note it was Safari, not Carnegie that refused to allow her to sculpt the figures as anything except tripods...now if you are Carnegie..what might your options be?

Regarding future values I will only say this, most know that I collect this line heavily. That is to say I have much of it repainted and based by Martin Garratt, and another set that are shelf displays, and another large part of a set that is tagged as well. The one thing I did tonight was gather up all my tagged versions and place them in a storage box for some rainy day. ....it will come sooner than later and already has for a few of the figures.
  My one consolation in all of this is watching Doug Watson bring the other safari dinosaur line into prominence...his current offerings this year to me are some of the finest sculpts out there availible and will be highly sought in the years to come. I am delighted watching his talents only grow and become all the more as he produces more figures.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

triceratops83

Sad news. When someone says dinosaur toy, I can't help but think 'Carnegie'. What an odd year - we finally get Battat back, but lose Carnegie.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Well this is a bit of a surprise. I have a lot of nostalgia tied up in the Carnegie Collection of course..their Brachiosaurus and Stegosaurus were the best dinosaur replicas I had when my grandmother brought them back from Disney when I was younger.

I guess the sad truth is the line felt like it was just going through the motions recently though.  I guess I wouldn't be too disappointed as long as we still received some 1:40 or so pieces from them.  Don't get me wrong most of the WS pieces fit the bill..but say a 1:40 Allosaurus would be nice. I just want compensation I guess.. ;)

sauroid

this is sad news. i still fondly remember my first Carnegie (the Dimetrodon) at 14.
*hug all my Carnegies*

does this mean that Safari would have an alliance with another institution? and Carnegie would have partnership with another toy brand?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's possible..but I doubt how likely it would be.   It's more possible to me ,if they did another prehistoric line, to bring on other artists and have them sculpt pieces or at least license art from them to base them on.

Concavenator

Oh wow  :( I feel bad for this.It was obvious that Carnegie was suffering a decline,but not to that extreme. :-\
Well,anyways,I hope that means,we'll get more Wild Safaris each year.

Tyto_Theropod

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!  :'( HAO CUD DIS HAPPEN???!!!

*Goes misty-eyes staring at Carnegie Carnotaurus (who just happens to be one of my favourite models EVER)*

I think I've just decided where my pocket money is going...  :P

On the other hand, I'd like to see where Safari go next. It would be awesome if they got together with the British Museum of Natural History - some brilliant research goes on there, and it's current toy dinosaur selection is a disgrace to it (although I did buy a Wild Republic Velociraptor plush last time I was there - he is totally adorable :)).
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Jetoar

They are really bad news but is true that Safari has done better figures than Carnegie so, we musnt worry.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

EmperorDinobot

What a weird year.

What a WEIRD year for dinosaur toys.

suspsy

Eh, it's not as bad as all that. Aside from the nostalgia factor, Carnegie was hardly leading the pack. Papo is doing well, Wild Safari has come into its own and then some, Battat is undergoing resurgence, and CollectA has a whopping 16 figures coming out, including the hugely anticipated Feathered T. Rex, three Spinosauruses, and the colossal Guidraco.

We will all be more than fine.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CityRaptor

Still, it means that we should start buying the Carnegies we want but don't have yet. I guess especially the new Velociraptor will become scarce, since it was the tail end release of the line.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tanystropheus

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on March 11, 2015, 10:31:33 AM
What a weird year.

What a WEIRD year for dinosaur toys.

Weird year, indeed.
Carnegie is gone.
Battat has made a comeback.
Papo 2015 releases are accurate (not movie-inspired)
Rebor came out of nowhere
and CollectA is releasing 16 figures this year, including a ginormous Guidraco, as stated earlier.

CityRaptor

Don't forget the Jurassic World line.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tanystropheus

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 11, 2015, 12:29:04 PM
Still, it means that we should start buying the Carnegies we want but don't have yet. I guess especially the new Velociraptor will become scarce, since it was the tail end release of the line.

Carnegie Diplodocus is averaging $80 on Amazon. I should have bought it for $18 when I had the chance a few years ago... :-\ It would have made for a really good paint custom piece.

DinoLord

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 11, 2015, 12:46:01 PM
Carnegie Diplodocus is averaging $80 on Amazon. I should have bought it for $18 when I had the chance a few years ago... :-\ It would have made for a really good paint custom piece.

That doesn't sound right - that one wasn't retired any earlier than the rest of the line. It should still be available for the ~$35 that it used to list for.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: