News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Would you like the dinosaur to come back ?

Started by Arul, April 14, 2015, 01:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arul

Would you like the dinosaur to come back ? Why ?  :D

Paleogene Pals

stargatedalek

Arul

stargatedalek

Arul

Coelacanth still exist until now few years ago found in Indonesian sea  :)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 14, 2015, 02:24:50 AM
Quote from: Paleogene Pals on April 14, 2015, 02:04:27 AM
They never left.
Yup! In fact, my favorite ones are still around!
Exactly, something that never left cannot "come back".

Quote from: ARUL on April 14, 2015, 04:21:22 AM
Coelacanth still exist until now few years ago found in Indonesian sea  :)
One, coelacanths still exist now, two, coelacanths are not dinosaurs.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Halichoeres

Well, the spirit of the question is clear, though. But let's refine it: would you want to see living, breathing non-avian dinosaurs if it were feasible even in principle?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Yutyrannus

Hmm...I would certainly love the chance to see them (any of them) alive, I'm not so sure I'd want them around in the modern day though. There's very little chance that they would be able to survive in the same world that is now dominated by mammals.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Arul

Hehehe yes i know. If dinosaur is still alive, the only predator who hunt them is human that is what make dinosaur cant survive in this era #JPtoxicaddiction

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 14, 2015, 05:21:38 AM
Well, the spirit of the question is clear, though. But let's refine it: would you want to see living, breathing non-avian dinosaurs if it were feasible even in principle?

In a word? Yes.

Though in a Jurassic Park-like setting would be a preference. I would be fine sharing our backyards with many species like sauropods. But if you take one you take them all and it just wouldn't be safe in general to walk about the woods anymore.

Quote from: Yutyrannus on April 14, 2015, 05:33:48 AM
Hmm...I would certainly love the chance to see them (any of them) alive, I'm not so sure I'd want them around in the modern day though. There's very little chance that they would be able to survive in the same world that is now dominated by mammals.

There was an old episode of SLIDERS that had dinosaurs survive to the modern era, they were quarantined on preserves and such.

CityRaptor

There is only one mammal I can see causing serious trouble to Dinosaurs, and that would be the killer ape calling itself Homo sapiens!

I think this was also the reason why those Dinosaurs in Sliders were in the preserve.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Arul

true CityRaptor :D an omnivore mammal called Homo Sapiens

Halichoeres

If we could bring dinosaurs back, I'm picturing a bunch of people angry that their toys are suddenly inaccurate.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tyrantqueen

No.

As Ian Malcolm said: "Dinosaurs had their shot, and nature selected them for extinction."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 14, 2015, 03:12:07 PM
No.

As Ian Malcolm said: "Dinosaurs had their shot, and nature selected them for extinction."

There is a loop hole to that I've often thought of...if we are a product of nature as well, so is our intelligence and so is what we create with it. If we make dinosaurs then it's as if nature is making them all over again..right?

CityRaptor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHGHkGmOmD4

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 14, 2015, 02:03:23 PM
If we could bring dinosaurs back, I'm picturing a bunch of people angry that their toys are suddenly inaccurate.

Most likely feather haters!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Dinomike

On one hand I'd like to see what T.rex actually looked like or Spinosaurus and how wrong or right we got them. On the other hand I like the mystery that veils dinosaurs. That leaves room for artistic and often cool interpretations. Then again I wouldn't like to see them kept in captivity either.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 14, 2015, 06:11:31 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 14, 2015, 03:12:07 PM
No.

There is a loop hole to that I've often thought of...if we are a product of nature as well, so is our intelligence and so is what we create with it. If we make dinosaurs then it's as if nature is making them all over again..right?

The other problem with this outlook is that nature didn't select anything. Nature in not a sentient entity that chooses who lives and who dies. In Malcolm's quote the word nature is basically meant to mean God. Nature has no preferences, no goals, no decisions or thoughts. Nature is simply what is. The combination of the natural features, lifeforms and forces of the planet and how all of that connects together. So no, I don't buy into the whole "dinosaurs were selected" bit. A combination of unfortunate events killed them off that no living organism could possibly prepare for.

With all that said, I still wouldn't want to see dinosaurs resurrected unless it were in a park like setting on a remote island, like "Jurassic Park". The world has enough problems with us around, the current lifeforms here don't need the added stress of what would probably be the worst invasive species imaginable. There are no niches available for the non-avian dinosaurs to exploit. If they managed to survive the modern world, other living things would suffer. As much as I love non-avian dinosaurs, I also love the animals that have evolved here since their extinction.

Takama

One of the things im always wondering is, "How would Non Avian Dinosaurs Live with Humans?" Now Small species I can understand, but Large may cause a problem or two for society.

Think of how much property damage a single herd of Sauropods could cause to a City, and if a Large Theropod were on the loose, would there be sirens warning the residents to stay indoors? I imagine the animal would be scared, just like any other Predator roaming a modern street, but the thing is, Would Animal Control be able to control these things if they were to happen?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: