You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pronunciations of dinosaur/prehistoric animal names

Started by Gondwanalandia, April 30, 2015, 07:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondwanalandia

Hi, not sure where exactly to post this, but how exactly does one pronounce Tupuxuara?  I got the new Papo model and I'm kind of unsure what to say when people ask what it is.   

To make this thread a little more relevant, are there any other hard-to-pronounce names of prehistoric animals that could use some clarification on how to say them?

(I do notice that pronunciation varies a lot by country.  When I listen to the tet. zoo. podcast they pronouce dinosaur names very differently than I was taught as an American.  Are there any international pronunciation standards, or is it a free-for-all?)

tyrantqueen

Halichoeres

When I teach courses on Mammalogy, Ichthyology, etc., on the first day I have students pronounce some name (let's say, Rhinichthys), and regardless of whether they say "rye-NICK-theez" or "rye-NICK-thiss" or "rih-NICK-theez," I tell the ones who say it confidently that they are correct. It was hard enough when all the names came from Latin and Greek, given that nobody really knows how Latin was pronounced (we can guess from poetry and from modern Romanian, Italian, and Spanish, but we're still guessing). But now we have names from Aztec (Tlacuatzin), Uzbek (Azhdarcho), Chinese (Guanlong), and Tupi (Tapejara). To scientists, there are few things less worth getting worked up about than whether someone is pronouncing things "correctly." We all alter the names to suit the language we speak natively (Spanish speakers have very different "standard" pronunciations). After all, the plant genus Fuchsia was named after a German botanist named Fuchs and so should be something like "FOOKS-ia," but everyone I know in the English-speaking world says "FYOO-shuh."
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

Tupuxuara is also a Tupi name, and according to this Tupi pronunciation guide I just looked up (http://www.unilang.org/course.php?res=82#ci-l1pronunciation) the x is pronounced like the English "sh" and the r is equivalent to the Spanish single r, so it sounds like the "tt" in American English "butter." This sound does not even exist in British Received Pronunciation. So I guess it would be Too-poo-SHWA-ttah if you wanted to get really pedantic, but I urge everyone in the world to avoid getting really pedantic. I would not flinch if someone said "Too-pooks-WAH-rah" or something similar.

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Gondwanalandia on April 30, 2015, 07:01:21 AM
(I do notice that pronunciation varies a lot by country.  When I listen to the tet. zoo. podcast they pronouce dinosaur names very differently than I was taught as an American. Are there any international pronunciation standards, or is it a free-for-all?)

Generally the rule is, however Americans pronounce it is correct.  :))
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Patrx

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on April 30, 2015, 05:55:24 PM
Generally the rule is, however Americans pronounce it is correct.  :))

Hah! It's not just scientific names, either. Did anyone here catch the whole "sloth rhymes with moth" discussion on the latest TetZoo podcast? Very amusing.

My understanding is, like Halichoeres alluded to, naming standards were developed with scientific writing in mind, so verbal pronunciation is not particularly important overall.

Dobber

My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Takama

Dobber

Hmm, Google pronunciation pronounces it as SEE-LOOR-ROsaur

Either way, I was extremely embarrassed by how off I was when reading it!  :-[  I STILL have to think hard about it when I see it and not want to pronounce it. CO-EL-YOU-ROsaur.  Basically, I'm an idiot.  :-\

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Takama

Quote from: Dobber on May 01, 2015, 12:02:32 AM
Hmm, Google pronunciation pronounces it as SEE-LOOR-ROsaur

Either way, I was extremely embarrassed by how off I was when reading it!  :-[  I STILL have to think hard about it when I see it and not want to pronounce it. CO-EL-YOU-ROsaur.  Basically, I'm an idiot.  :-\

Chris

Hey i had problems pronouncing that one too. But trying to write down a pronunciation is not easy for me

Newt

A classics nerd (I'm a recovering one) would point out that there is no soft C in Latin (or in the case of "coelurosaur", Latinized Greek). So, it would more properly be pronounced "koelurosaur". Then there's them diphthongs - the sounds represented by "oe" and "au" don't really occur in English...and the Great Vowel Shift helped nothing...

So, yeah. Say it how you want. If anyone is confused, write it out.

Also, Rhinichthys are dope. Especially the undescribed (at least, last I looked) Cumberland form. Cyprinids WOOOO!

Gondwanalandia

Well, thanks, I suppose that clears things up (sort of), at least with respect to TOO-poo-HWAR-ah.  I agree that it's not a big issue, but you want to at least be in the ballpark I think (i.e., something like too-pux-you-ar-a would be considered incorrect/less correct, to me at least). 

Arul

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gondwanalandia on May 02, 2015, 06:38:49 AM
Well, thanks, I suppose that clears things up (sort of), at least with respect to TOO-poo-HWAR-ah.  I agree that it's not a big issue, but you want to at least be in the ballpark I think (i.e., something like too-pux-you-ar-a would be considered incorrect/less correct, to me at least). 

Here's a list of general conventions (I would not say "rules") in North American English, which differ considerably from both the pronunciation of the actual source languages, and from conventional pronunciations in other countries. http://capewest.ca/pron.html

Paleona

Sorry to necro a thread a few months old, but lately I've been thinking of how to pronounce one dinosaur name in particular... Diplodocus.  I think I've heard the most variations of this name alone!

DIP-low-dock-iss (this is how I pronounced it as a kid)
dih-PLOD-a-cuss
DIE-plod-o-cuss (this is how I read it in my head nowadays)
die-ploe-DOE-cuss

You all may even pronounce how I've written these differently, haha, depending on where you live.  I suppose it's not very important, but I still find it pretty interesting!

edit: whoops, I see there was a thread completely dedicated to this before!  My bad; just ignore this post.  :-X

Takama

Sometimes the way a Animals Name is pronounced is not how i wished it was

Yi qi is a good Example

Its Pronounced YEE Chee

But i like to say Yee Qwee as i find that to be more fun to say

Halichoeres

Quote from: Takama on September 16, 2015, 06:21:08 AM
Sometimes the way a Animals Name is pronounced is not how i wished it was

Yi qi is a good Example

Its Pronounced YEE Chee

But i like to say Yee Qwee as i find that to be more fun to say

I like to pronounce it "Itchy" like the mouse from the Simpsons.

Ceresiosaurus

as a spaniard whose language comes from latin and that knows classic greek, I always find funny how anglos and other languages' speakers suffer when pronunciating dinosaurs' names  ^-^

Newt

We can't even agree how to pronounce our own language...

Halichoeres

Quote from: Newt on September 20, 2015, 12:31:13 AM
We can't even agree how to pronounce our own language...

Does it drive you up the wall when someone says they have a "neutral" accent?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: