News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

I only looked at the models offered by the Jalisco firm, didn't buy. I bought a painting of Scipionyx from Pedro Salas in Spain. But with Covid, it hasn't been framed yet.

ceratopsian

And another coincidence!  My "Prehistoric Times" has just arrived. There on p. 6 is a photo of the 1:18 Spinosaurus on its fishy base with contact details for Daniel Mendoza.

Halichoeres

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 20, 2020, 08:45:16 AM
I only looked at the models offered by the Jalisco firm, didn't buy. I bought a painting of Scipionyx from Pedro Salas in Spain. But with Covid, it hasn't been framed yet.

Oh, I misunderstood, sorry!

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 20, 2020, 11:28:21 AM
And another coincidence!  My "Prehistoric Times" has just arrived. There on p. 6 is a photo of the 1:18 Spinosaurus on its fishy base with contact details for Daniel Mendoza.

Small world indeed! Sure enough:

Forgive the washed-out appearance, it's hard to take a well-lit photo of a glossy page. But I believe this is the exact diorama that prompted my inquiry, albeit from a different angle. On the left you can see the maw of Mawsonia, which doesn't have the pride of place in the original that it does in mine.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 20, 2020, 05:26:08 PM

Forgive the washed-out appearance, it's hard to take a well-lit photo of a glossy page. But I believe this is the exact diorama that prompted my inquiry, albeit from a different angle. On the left you can see the maw of Mawsonia, which doesn't have the pride of place in the original that it does in mine.

Okay, I'll have to ask, how much was it for the fish diorama? Like you, I wouldn't need the dinosaur!

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on July 20, 2020, 07:45:30 PM

Okay, I'll have to ask, how much was it for the fish diorama? Like you, I wouldn't need the dinosaur!

avatar_SBell @SBell  It worked out to about $275 including shipping from Mexico. For the materials, labor, and skill that went into it, I think that's a steal.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 21, 2020, 03:45:03 PM
Quote from: SBell on July 20, 2020, 07:45:30 PM

avatar_SBell @SBell  It worked out to about $275 including shipping from Mexico. For the materials, labor, and skill that went into it, I think that's a steal.

It really is. Still requires some budgeting!

Are the fish removable? Or are they part of the base?

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on July 21, 2020, 03:51:51 PM

avatar_SBell @SBell  The Mawsonia is removable, but the others are permanently fixed as far as I can tell. If you wanted them removable, I think he could probably pull that off. I just think it would cost a bit more.

Duna

Congrats for your fantastic fish diorama. It looks like it has many days of work in it. It's absolutely awesome, very nice price indeed.

Shonisaurus

I really like your thread that I visit every day that Halichoeres is updated, I congratulate you for your great photographic credit in relation to prehistoric fish and your detailed description not only of prehistoric fish but of other fossil vertebrates and invertebrates and your references to brands. Your detailed articles describing the product, brand and species that this figure represents serves so that people like me are informed of what kind of prehistoric animals such as fish and plants that you mention and describe and give a precise idea which is the species that represents as I indicated above.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 22, 2020, 12:21:20 AM
Quote from: SBell on July 21, 2020, 03:51:51 PM

avatar_SBell @SBell  The Mawsonia is removable, but the others are permanently fixed as far as I can tell. If you wanted them removable, I think he could probably pull that off. I just think it would cost a bit more.

Makes me wonder if I could somehow just get the fish without a base...it's not like I have room for such a thing!

Halichoeres

Thank you avatar_Duna @Duna! And thank you too, avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus. I try to be informative if I can be.

avatar_SBell @SBell Yes, just be careful to specify. They definitely default to including a base, but I'm sure they'd be happy to make you loose fish. Depending on the species, they might be fragile resting on their fins, though. Let me know if you want a Spanish-speaking go-between.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 13, 2020, 07:03:23 PM
Thank you avatar_Duna @Duna! And thank you too, avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus. I try to be informative if I can be.

avatar_SBell @SBell Yes, just be careful to specify. They definitely default to including a base, but I'm sure they'd be happy to make you loose fish. Depending on the species, they might be fragile resting on their fins, though. Let me know if you want a Spanish-speaking go-between.

Thanks avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I'm not in a place to deal with that right now, but I'll keep it in mind

Halichoeres

My CollectA parcel was stuck for more than a week in a distribution center during one of the hottest stretches of this year (if you haven't heard, the US government is sabotaging the postal service). The package arrived quite battered, but the contents were all intact. Here are the Jurassic bilaterians from that parcel:

CollectA Saltriovenator
Scale: 1:20
Sculptor: Matthias Geiger
Released: 2020
Lower Jurassic
It's difficult for me to get excited about theropods these days, and this is no exception. Geiger has gotten much better at theropods. This one has believable hips, and the feet and tail look pretty good. The legs could use a little work. And of course we don't really know what Saltriovenator looks like, but the odds that it looked just like Ceratosaurus nasicornis are pretty damned slim. There was a big stir when the taxon was announced because few dinosaurs are known from Italy, but I don't think Italy has to envy anyone, as they have some of the most incredible Triassic faunas in the world: drepanosaurs, nothosaurs, thalattosaurs, and funky coelacanths, for example. I find these scraps of theropod bone a really pointless subject for a figure; I'd rather have had some of Italy's other ancient denizens.

With Monanthesia and Cycadeoidea. Who's going to tell it that it's not blending in? A note on scale: based on both total (extrapolated) length and scapula length, this is 1:20, despite being sold as 1:40 and including the little CollectA scale guy.

CollectA Pleuroceras
Scale: 2:1 to 1:2, depending on species
Sculptor: Matthias Geiger
Released: 2020
Lower Jurassic
This is more like it. I'll always welcome a new ammonite taxon. This is reasonably versatile in dioramas, because the many species varied so much in size. An interesting touch is that the arms are unequal lengths, which is what you'd expect from an animal in mid-strike. The arms are muscular hydrostats (like our tongues), so they can lengthen or shorten (and hence narrow or thicken, respectively) according to need. I believe this figure was made at the request of a German museum, so I'm guessing somebody there is responsible for this very cool feature.

Trying to take on Kaiyodo's Eryon the hard way.

Loon

Congrats on the new CollectAs. I didn't know Saltriovenator was known from such scant material. Still, it's a great improvement over their past theropods. So, even if it didn't look like this, it'll make for a better Ceratosaurus than their actual Ceratosaurus.

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you on your new acquisitions Halichoeres, honestly the saltriovenator is one of my most anticipated figures in my collection, it looks magnificent, although due to the very few remains found I doubt that this theropod was like that in real life.

The pleuroceras looks great honestly it is an improvement over the magnificent Bullyland anmonites.

I'm glad for your new acquisitions, enjoy them.

ceratopsian

I'm relieved to hear the contents were unaffected by the box's trauma. Excellent photos as always.

Concavenator

The Saltriovenator is quickly growing on me. I didn't care for it at first, but the more I see it, the more I like it. It reminds me of Yoshi for some reason.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Still, they look really nice. The Pleuroceras looks especially good! I think o have to open a new branch at home. Cephalopod Figures. Damn.

Quotethe US government is sabotaging the postal service

Wat. I think i just do not want to ask more about that...

Faelrin

Man I feel you on the mail just sitting there and taking forever. Still wondering when my SDCC Nedry will get to me. Over a week now.

Anyways I'm just glad everything you ordered safely arrived. I get you on that Saltriovenator, particularly with how fragmentary it is. Granted on the other hand I guess it is nice to have another ceratosaur that isn't Ceratosaurus (though if I'm recalling right that is still the best known).

Really interesting tidbit on the ammonite as well. I guess that just makes it look even more lifelike taking that into account. I really like the pic of it with the Eryon as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Bokisaurus

Cool ones and that Saltriovenator is much better than I expected, I skipped it when I ordered mostly due to the cost ( I used that $ for shipping instead), but now I really wish I got it. Next time.

Yeah, its really disgusting what they are doing to the Postal service, it's beyond nightmarish!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: