News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 04, 2024, 11:52:07 PMOne of the key features of Wuerhosaurus is the extra-long neural spines on the proximal caudals

TIL. For a fragmentary taxon like this one, it would be appropriate for companies (those interested in scientific accuracy) to ensure whatever material is known to be accurately depicted. And it's odd PNSO got the Wuerhosaurus' manus wrong, that's the sort of mistake I wouldn't expect to see from PNSO, more so at this point, also considering they did fine on that regard on their 2021 Stegosaurus and 2020 Dacentrurus.

Now that I think about it, there have been a few good Wuerhosaurus recently, between the PNSO, Haolonggood and Vitae.

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 04, 2024, 11:52:07 PMThe wait between successive iterations of theropod genera is rarely long, but yeah, this one was fast even by that standard.

Now let's see how long does it take for you to replace Schleich's Gallimimus;) I think it will be a good while, I get the impression ornithomimids are invisible for companies. You know a dinosaur is overlooked when it was featured in Jurassic Park (and in arguably one of the most iconic scenes, at that) and then receives this much attention.  :P

Halichoeres

Quote from: Concavenator on September 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 04, 2024, 11:52:07 PMOne of the key features of Wuerhosaurus is the extra-long neural spines on the proximal caudals

TIL. For a fragmentary taxon like this one, it would be appropriate for companies (those interested in scientific accuracy) to ensure whatever material is known to be accurately depicted. And it's odd PNSO got the Wuerhosaurus' manus wrong, that's the sort of mistake I wouldn't expect to see from PNSO, more so at this point, also considering they did fine on that regard on their 2021 Stegosaurus and 2020 Dacentrurus.

Now that I think about it, there have been a few good Wuerhosaurus recently, between the PNSO, Haolonggood and Vitae.

You're talking about the third claw? Yeah, that is a bit odd, and maybe lends support to the idea that these aren't all sculpted by one person, even though the marketing seems to want us to think they are. It's true there are several decent Wuerhosaurus now; this was kind of a tough choice.

Quote from: Concavenator on September 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 04, 2024, 11:52:07 PMThe wait between successive iterations of theropod genera is rarely long, but yeah, this one was fast even by that standard.

Now let's see how long does it take for you to replace Schleich's Gallimimus;) I think it will be a good while, I get the impression ornithomimids are invisible for companies. You know a dinosaur is overlooked when it was featured in Jurassic Park (and in arguably one of the most iconic scenes, at that) and then receives this much attention.  :P

Hey, there have been like a dozen Gallimimus figures in the last five years, so those count as successive iterations, even if most of those are just JP/JW merch. The wait between good versions can certainly be longer, of course. The best for its time is still the Battat, but feathers trump artistry for me in this case. Anyway, I think herbivorous/omnivorous theropods in general are more ignored than others: alvarezsaurs, most therizinosaurs, ornithomimosaurs, oviraptorosaurs, noasaurs...

On another note, the Euoplocephalus and Gastonia photos were embarrassingly out of focus, so I've deleted and replaced them.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Yeah I was referring to that extra claw. PNSO might have experienced a change of factory:

Quote from: Faras on January 13, 2022, 02:20:31 PMRumours say PNSO changed factory before Parasaurolophus release

Don't know if that has anything to do with different sculptors being involved though. Could be a possibility.

It's kind of unusual there are these many good Wuerhosaurus, not even the more famous (and more complete) Kentrosaurus has received this amount of good figures. I can only guess it's because those versions happen to be made by Chinese companies.

About Gallimimus, of course I wasn't taking into account all those JP versions! After all, even the Schleich is a closer match to the real deal than those.  ;D

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.