News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Toob Dreams (Pipe Dreams?)

Started by Halichoeres, May 06, 2015, 07:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 19, 2015, 09:27:40 PM
Quote from: SBell on September 19, 2015, 05:18:37 PM
Quote from: sauroid on September 19, 2015, 03:08:18 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on September 19, 2015, 02:12:58 PM
Sounds nice, but I prefer a regular Ceratopsian toob. No fossil remains, just the real (plastic) things. :)
Ditto.

This would probably sell better than a skul toob to the general public--most of the skulls, at toob-size scale, wouldn't differentiate well enough. A Japanese company like Kaiyodo could do it, but those would be a little more costly!

Fully fleshed out ceratopsians would certainly make for a good Toob as well. I have to disagree with your point though, SBell, as the skulls of ceratopsians are precisely the most distinctive parts of their bodies. I'm pretty sure I've even seen Greg Paul say that they're virtually indistinguishable postcranially. I think life models would certainly be more playable for the child target audience, but if distinctiveness is the only consideration, I don't think there's anything to be concerned about.

Triceratops, Chasmosaurus, Styracosaurus, Diabloceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus, Einiosaurus, Kosmoceratops, and Regaliceratops would all look very different from each other (just to pull a few examples at random).

But to the average parent in the toy or craft store? Not so much. The key to my previous post was the phrase 'general public'. For a lot of people, a ceratopsian would look like a bunch of three-horns (regardless of the number of horns) with minor changes. That's why the existing skull toobs work so well--wide number of distinct-to-everyone skulls.

Shonisaurus

Incidentally waiting for news from 2016 Safari is killing me.

Last year revealed on September 17 and we are almost 20. Regardless of how fabulous you are and I say generally, I do not know why they take so long to unveil the new figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals not only Safari but other companies dinosaurs.

Not that it was a state secret.

Ceresiosaurus

Greg Paul isn't to be trusted on ceratopsians. There his lumping is even more common

Halichoeres

Probably true that a set of skulls from a single clade is really more of a Kaiyodo move. But then we would only get a maximum of six.

Which isn't to say it wouldn't be cool from Safari, it certainly would be.

Also, more Safariology sets like the Evolution of Man, but with more interesting subjects than "Man." Evolution of Turtles. Evolution of Birds. Evolution of Mammals. Evolution of Horses. Evolution of Whales. Evolution of Amniotes. But ESPECIALLY Evolution of Turtles.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 19, 2015, 10:11:54 PM
Probably true that a set of skulls from a single clade is really more of a Kaiyodo move. But then we would only get a maximum of six.

Also, more Safariology sets like the Evolution of Man, but with more interesting subjects than "Man." Evolution of Turtles. Evolution of Birds. Evolution of Mammals. Evolution of Horses. Evolution of Whales. Evolution of Amniotes. But ESPECIALLY Evolution of Turtles.

But that last one would need to be changed almsot as soon as it was produced!

But a tetrapod-evolution could, nay should be done!

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on September 20, 2015, 12:32:08 AM

I think that applies with equal force to Evolution of Man!

And I'm not sure how I missed tetrapods. I definitely meant to include it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 20, 2015, 04:10:15 PM
Quote from: SBell on September 20, 2015, 12:32:08 AM

I think that applies with equal force to Evolution of Man!

And I'm not sure how I missed tetrapods. I definitely meant to include it.

I don't know, I think Safari was conservative enough in their choices for Evolution of Man that the phylogenetic position of the species represented isn't likely to change all that much. I of course support any of the evolutionary sequences mentioned above!

profnik

Safariology of science Evolution of Horses. Evolution of Whales. Evolution of Amniotes, Evolution of Turtles. Evolution of Birds & Evolution of Mammals.Great idea.I like your thinking ;)

I think safariology of science evolution of horse should work for 2016 for safari ltd.
there are 5 small figure ancient horses for the packet including:

Eohippus also know as (Hyracotherium)

Mesohippus

Merychippus

Pilohippus

Modern Horse

I remember I got safariology of science evolution of man last year ago.

??? ??? so what about Safariology Evolution of Elephants so you know is there 5 of them is including:

Moeritherium

Gomphotherium

Deinotherium

Woolly Mammoth

Modern Elephant

Doug doesn't have anything to do with the Toobs, right? Would he know anything about the decision making process, there?

profnik

Right. So im still waiting for Prehistoric mammals toobs,Pterosaur toobs & Extinct super toobs or Extinct species toobs for 2016 :D an safariology of science evolution of horses too.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 25, 2015, 06:51:16 PM
Doug doesn't have anything to do with the Toobs, right? Would he know anything about the decision making process, there?

I can't speak to the decision making process, but I'm pretty sure that he has done some of the sculpts.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 26, 2015, 03:05:11 PM

I can't speak to the decision making process, but I'm pretty sure that he has done some of the sculpts.

I have been part of the decidion-making process before--it takes sevearl years from start to finish. And even if someone knew what was coming, they couldn't say a thing until Safari gave the go-ahead (or did it themselves).

DC

Maybe toobs themed by period.
For a Triassic toob
Placerias
Coelophysis
an anteosaur
a cynodont
a rauschian
a prosauropod anything but Plateosaurus
Heerasaurid

Early crtaceous North America
Iguanodon or tenontosaurus
Acrocanthosaurus, Utahraptor,  Dienonychus
Sauroposidon or Astrodon
sauropelta, hypsilodont

Middle Cretacous South America
Argentineosaurus
Mapusaurus
with friends

You can never have too many dinosaurs

Quote from: SBell on September 26, 2015, 11:06:23 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 26, 2015, 03:05:11 PM

I have been part of the decidion-making process before--it takes sevearl years from start to finish. And even if someone knew what was coming, they couldn't say a thing until Safari gave the go-ahead (or did it themselves).

Oh! I didn't know you were officially involved with them. I wasn't searching for hints or anything, I guess I was just wondering how, err... specialized Safari might get with these. We tend to let our fanboy imaginations runaway with us, but then again, they did release Prehistoric Crocodiles, Prehistoric Sea Life, etc.

Kovu

I think it would be pretty cool to have a toob of smaller dinosaur species in 1:40 scale. Like, maybe Kulindadromeus, Hypsilophodon, Psittacosaurus, Velociraptor, Mei long, Compsognathus or other similarly sized ones? Could be nice for people who are more committed to scale. Also, I feel like it would be a cool way to show just how big the size discrepancies between species could be. Especially when compared to the "standard" sized figures.

Just a thought...

Quote from: Kovu on September 28, 2015, 05:28:41 AM
I think it would be pretty cool to have a toob of smaller dinosaur species in 1:40 scale. Like, maybe Kulindadromeus, Hypsilophodon, Psittacosaurus, Velociraptor, Mei long, Compsognathus or other similarly sized ones? Could be nice for people who are more committed to scale. Also, I feel like it would be a cool way to show just how big the size discrepancies between species could be. Especially when compared to the "standard" sized figures.

Just a thought...

This is exactly why I buy Toobs!  :D
A lot of them aren't exactly 1:40, but I display them anyway with my other models just to give people the general idea.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 28, 2015, 06:01:26 AM
Quote from: Kovu on September 28, 2015, 05:28:41 AM

Just a thought...

This is exactly why I buy Toobs!  :D
A lot of them aren't exactly 1:40, but I display them anyway with my other models just to give people the general idea.

Yeah, same here! I don't have much use for the miniature tyrannosaurs or elasmosaurs, but a tiny Dilong? A tiny Nothosaurus? Sign me up! A lot of them still end up being more like 1:10 or 1:20, though. I think something like Compsognathus in 1:40 would be closer to the size of a Good Luck Mini.

Kovu

I'll preface this by saying I don't actually own any of the Safari toobs (because of the tiny tyrannosaurs and elasmosaurs lol), so my size reference is limited to remembering the ones I had as a kid and lost in the backyard or that I see the in the stores
Either way, a relatively small scaled Deinonychus, Nothosaurus or Dilong I'd go out and buy a toob for.

SBell

Quote from: Kovu on September 29, 2015, 12:26:18 AM
I'll preface this by saying I don't actually own any of the Safari toobs (because of the tiny tyrannosaurs and elasmosaurs lol), so my size reference is limited to remembering the ones I had as a kid and lost in the backyard or that I see the in the stores
Either way, a relatively small scaled Deinonychus, Nothosaurus or Dilong I'd go out and buy a toob for.

There's a Nothosaurus in the Prehistoric Marine Reptiles and a Dilong in the Feathered Dinosaurs toobs. No specific Deinonychus though.

profnik

I just put next year on a list I type

Antediluvian Dinos Toobs:
  Megalosaurus
  Iguanodon
  Hadrosaurus                                                             
  Plesiosaurus                                                                                                                                                                         
  Hylaeosaurus
  Pterodactylus
  Agathaumas
  Labyrinthodont

here is detail to make

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Palace_Dinosaurs
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/history-of-geology/files/2013/05/HAWKINS_1854_Crystal_Palace_Dinosaurs.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-SiWsZDCW-jc/TrAW-VtrvaI/AAAAAAAABfA/4SzPgcIhj98/s400/Hawkins_Hylaeosaurus.jpg
http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Iguanodon.jpg
http://www.antediluvianminiatures.com/100_4566.JPG
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/8449/img1650u.jpg
http://donglutsdinosaurs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Debus-Hawkins-Hadrosaurus2-1000x6911-700x483.jpg
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7026/img1612b.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-63BLuyD30l0/VbFHucbC9xI/AAAAAAAAyBo/c_u7IgAakGM/s1600/11738003_1469161053396931_3341484624443112683_n.jpg
http://s482.photobucket.com/user/LewyTanner/media/aggie.jpg.html

Ice Age Toobs:
Woolly Mammoth from the Extinct Super Toob if they need another species to pad this one out
Short Faced Bear
Smilodon (New sculpted)
Irsih Elk (Megaloceros) from the Extinct Super Toob if they need another species to pad this one out Too
Glyptodon
Teratornis
Dire Wolf
Camelops

Prehistoric Big Cats Toobs:
Cave Lion
Thylacosmilus
Smilodon from the Prehistoric Life Toob if they need another species to pad this one out Too
Homotherium (Scimitar Cat)
Proailurus
Eusmilus
American Cheetah

Prehistoric Austrailan Toob:
Megalania
Diprotodon
Koolasuchus
Meiolania
Marsupial Lion (Thylacoleo)
Leaellynasaurus
Procoptodon (Short Faced Kangaroo)
Australovenator 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: