News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Toob Dreams (Pipe Dreams?)

Started by Halichoeres, May 06, 2015, 07:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

I was going to reply to this old thread (http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2329.msg62328#msg62328) but the interface advised me to start a new one. If the admins think it is better for them to be merged, I yield to their judgment!

As we all know, Safari's Toobs are an ingenious way to bring us figures that might have a hard time selling as individual figures. I especially like them for their ability to depict smaller species to scale with figures from the standard figure lines. So here are a few wishlist toobs:

Age of Fishes:
Sacabambaspis (Ordovician, not Devonian, but no big deal)
Any ammonite
Moythomasia
Climatius
Coccosteus
Drepanaspis
Promissum (or some other conodont)
Priscomyzon
Psarolepis
Pituriaspis

Prehistoric amphibians:
Diplocaulus: in conversations with paleontologists, I've learned that unpublished specimens of this genus show a membrane connecting the wings of its head to the limbs. No current toys reflect that!
Beelzebufo
Platyhystrix
Crassigyrinus
Metoposaurus
Zatrachys
Prionosuchus (although this might work better as a full-sized figure)
Siderops
Eucritta
Eocaecilia

Conquest of Land:
Greererpeton
Elpistostege
Ichthyostega
Tiktaalik
Panderichthys
Sauripterus
Hylonomus
Rhizodus (maybe another candidate for a full-sized figure)
Gogonasus
Elginerpeton

Feathered Dinos 2:
Avimimus
Mononykus
Yi
Psittacosaurus with sacral quills
Shuvuuia
Anchiornis (with color scheme as reported from melanosomes)
Hesperornis
Ichthyornis
Aurornis
Citipati qua Citipati

Pterosaurs:
Pterodactylus
Rhamphorhynchus
Eudimorphodon
Anurognathus
Sordes
Dorygnathus
Jeholopterus
Muzquizopteryx
Thalassodromeus (also a full-sized figure, please)
Darwinopterus

Unfortunately they already used the name Dawn of the Dinosaurs, so I would like to solicit a name for the following set (some of these predate dinosaurs anyway):
Eoraptor
Saltopus
Lagosuchus
Proganochelys
Cynognathus
Scaphonyx
Estemmenosuchus
Lycaenops
Kannemeyeria
Cotylorhynchus

Additions and revisions welcome!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

sauroid

basal ceratopsians
prosauropods
terror birds
carboniferous/permian reptiles
devonian fishes/amphibians
oviraptorids
proboscids

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

John

Everything suggested in the above two posts would be great to see actually come out.Only I would add that I'd also like to see any of those suggestions in larger scales too. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Pachyrhinosaurus

A pterosaur toob is something I've been predicting for a while. It would just make sense to have small pterosaurs to fly around the dinosaurs. There recognizable and probably well-marketable.  But as far as they go-

Rhamphorhynchus
Pterodactylus
Dimorphodon
Darwinopterus
Anurognathus
Tropeognathus
Sordes
Pterodaustro
Nyctosaurus
Peteinosaurus
Scleromochlus-not a pterosaur but usually there are a few which are not of the advertised clade
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Roselaar

Oh, the dreams we dream...

Prehistoric amphibians is definitely a prime choice, as are Pterosaurs. I would also like a proper marine reptile toob with species not used before, or a prehistoric marine mammal toob.

SBell

Years ago an Ancient Amphibian was discussed as a follow up but it didn't materialize. Not sure what sales of the sharks and crocs were like, which would have had an effect on follow ups.

I do remember that the decision was made to go with crocs and sharks because of their recognizability (even though a number of the crocs aren't truly 'crocodiles' and many of the sharks were incertae sedis and are now likely holocephalans).

If I had to guess, I think the pterosaurs might not work only because the toobs are limited in diameter, and at least a few of the pterosaurs would need to be full-out wingspan (try sticking the WwD Quetzalcoatlus in a current Safari toob--it will get stuck, and likely damaged if you tried to cram 7 or 8 of them in).

Also, I would rather see an orthocone or other mid-palaeozoic nautiloid than an ammonite in the Age of Fishes toob.

Halichoeres

Quote from: sauroid on May 06, 2015, 09:00:46 PM
basal ceratopsians
prosauropods
terror birds
carboniferous/permian reptiles
devonian fishes/amphibians
oviraptorids
proboscids
Good ideas, although oviraptorids might be just a tiiiiny bit specific. When you say proboscids, you mean things like gomphotheres, mammoths, mastodons? That would be cool, have a little herd of them. Carboniferous/Permian reptiles is extremely fertile ground.

Quote from: Roselaar on May 06, 2015, 10:09:36 PM
Oh, the dreams we dream...

Prehistoric amphibians is definitely a prime choice, as are Pterosaurs. I would also like a proper marine reptile toob with species not used before, or a prehistoric marine mammal toob.
Things like Placodus, Pleurosaurus, etc.? I could get behind that.

Quote from: SBell on May 06, 2015, 10:50:39 PM
Years ago an Ancient Amphibian was discussed as a follow up but it didn't materialize. Not sure what sales of the sharks and crocs were like, which would have had an effect on follow ups.

I do remember that the decision was made to go with crocs and sharks because of their recognizability (even though a number of the crocs aren't truly 'crocodiles' and many of the sharks were incertae sedis and are now likely holocephalans).

If I had to guess, I think the pterosaurs might not work only because the toobs are limited in diameter, and at least a few of the pterosaurs would need to be full-out wingspan (try sticking the WwD Quetzalcoatlus in a current Safari toob--it will get stuck, and likely damaged if you tried to cram 7 or 8 of them in).

Also, I would rather see an orthocone or other mid-palaeozoic nautiloid than an ammonite in the Age of Fishes toob.
The croc and shark toobs are still on the market several years later, which I take as an encouraging sign, but who knows. I'm sure molds are expensive. As a side note, some of the weirdest holocephalans have never been rendered as toys, like the iniopterygians.

That's a good point about pterosaurs. They have a lot of things that stick out, not just wings but also tails and crests. They might be murder to extract.

Seconded on the orthocone/nautiloid front--we have some ammonites to choose from already.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Megalosaurus

Trilobite species toob. But alive with legs and antennae, and colored. Some curled ones
There are a lot of species to choose from.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

SBell

Quote from: Megalosaurus on May 07, 2015, 12:27:34 AM
Trilobite species toob. But alive with legs and antennae, and colored. Some curled ones
There are a lot of species to choose from.

I honestly couldn't see a whole toob of trilobites, no matter how diverse. They are still relatively uniform and unfamiliar except in a broad context to the public (peopl emay know trilobites, but probably wouldn't buy a toob of them alone).

As for the sharks and crocs, I know that both went through at least a second run when they changed the toob and insert styles, so that's a good thing. And yes, the sculpt-mold-produce process is very expensive. I will admit, I did try for a pantodont or iniopterygian, but couldn't get it through. Did get the champsosaur though (it helped that they were going to include Metriorhynchus, which was already in the prehistoric marine toob)!

sauroid

it would be great if Doug Watson would create the vertebrate toobs.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on May 06, 2015, 10:50:39 PM

I just thought of something: if there is any single idea in this thread that could justify a mega-toob, it's this one. I think that would make it workable, wouldn't it? And if they wanted to mix it in with dinosaurs or have 2-3 copies of each sculpt, I'd still buy it and I think kids would want it too.

Quote from: sauroid on May 07, 2015, 11:45:09 AM

I have no problem with that!

SBell

Quote from: sauroid on May 07, 2015, 11:45:09 AM

A toob full of back bones would be kind of boring... ;D

Couldn't help it. I regret nothing.

sauroid

CityRaptor

I'm not sure if Safari would make an Oviraptorid toob. In both places that I visited that sold the skulls separately, the Oviraptor one sold the worst. Indeed the Royal Science Museum in Belgium had a whole box full of them and like 2 Diplodocus skulls.

How about some retro toobs? Crystal Palace and either Knight or Zallinger.

Also: Life alongside Dinosaurs, featuring animals like Beelzebufo, Reprenomanus, Hyphalosaurus ( including a two-headed variant ) etc. would be useful for dioramas.

Synapsids
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

Quote from: CityRaptor on May 07, 2015, 07:25:59 PM
I'm not sure if Safari would make an Oviraptorid toob. In both places that I visited that sold the skulls separately, the Oviraptor one sold the worst. Indeed the Royal Science Museum in Belgium had a whole box full of them and like 2 Diplodocus skulls.

How about some retro toobs? Crystal Palace and either Knight or Zallinger.

Also: Life alongside Dinosaurs, featuring animals like Beelzebufo, Reprenomanus, Hyphalosaurus ( including a two-headed variant ) etc. would be useful for dioramas.

Synapsids

That prompted me to look up Hyphalosaurus. I didn't know there had been a polycephalic specimen found! We could call it In the Shadow of the Dinosaurs. I like Repenomamus, Hyphalosaurus, Beelzebufo. Maybe a rhynchocephalian, a semionotid, Santanachelys, Sinamia...many choices.

Tapejara1122

I could possibly see a toob of prehistoric turtles if there isnt already one.

"You know, at times like this one feels, well, perhaps extinct animals should be left extinct". - Ian Malcolm

Halichoeres

Quote from: Tapejara1122 on May 13, 2015, 02:09:32 AM

Y'know, my first instinct is to say that they all look too similar and turtle-y, but I might have had the same reaction to crocodiles, and they did that, didn't they? So what are the obvious suspects? Meiolania, Archelon, Odontochelys, Palaeotrionyx, Stupendemys....

Tapejara1122

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 13, 2015, 05:43:10 AM
Quote from: Tapejara1122 on May 13, 2015, 02:09:32 AM

Y'know, my first instinct is to say that they all look too similar and turtle-y, but I might have had the same reaction to crocodiles, and they did that, didn't they? So what are the obvious suspects? Meiolania, Archelon, Odontochelys, Palaeotrionyx, Stupendemys....

I could also see a Henodus, Proganocheyls, or Protostega. They do have interesting carapaces (or carapacei? I don't know the plural) but they do have interesting shapes.

"You know, at times like this one feels, well, perhaps extinct animals should be left extinct". - Ian Malcolm

CityRaptor

Henodus is not really a turtle, but then again not everyon in the croc tube was a real croc.

The toob should also feature Sinemys, specifically S. gamera (Guardian of the Universe) and Ninjemys (totally rad and fearsome).
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

That and Henodus was already in the marine reptiles toob. Does Safari usually put the same figure in two toobs?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: