News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ugly Ugly Dinosaurs

Started by Horridus, May 01, 2012, 09:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on May 13, 2017, 11:45:06 PM

Aside from the obvious shrink-wrapping, this, ehem, "Allosaurus" is weirdly splay-legged and wriggly-tailed. And that headsculpt, yesh!
This is the Carnegie Allosaurus. Boy Carnegie was horrible!

Silvanusaurus

Well, to be fair that is one of their older sculpts, some of the later Carnegies are truly quite beautiful and some of the best mass produced dinosaur figures available, though shrink wrapping was a common issue with them, occasionally leading to an unsettling 'mummified in the writhing screams of an agonising death' look.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on May 14, 2017, 11:58:01 AM
Well, to be fair that is one of their older sculpts, some of the later Carnegies are truly quite beautiful and some of the best mass produced dinosaur figures available, though shrink wrapping was a common issue with them, occasionally leading to an unsettling 'mummified in the writhing screams of an agonising death' look.
Just look at their Spinosaurus'!

Archinto

The old model carnegie spinosaurus is probably one of my favorite carnegies LOL

Carnegies were new and unusual for their time, and were a real game changer for the dinosaur model industry and set a standard for scientifically accurate models for the times. I give propps to old carnegie figures, they are the grandaddies of the awesome highly detailed figures we know and love today.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

BlueKrono

Quote from: Archinto on May 14, 2017, 05:34:31 PM
The old model carnegie spinosaurus is probably one of my favorite carnegies LOL

Carnegies were new and unusual for their time, and were a real game changer for the dinosaur model industry and set a standard for scientifically accurate models for the times. I give propps to old carnegie figures, they are the grandaddies of the awesome highly detailed figures we know and love today.

Mine too! I think it has an undeniable charm.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

terrorchicken

the Carnegie allo was one of my first Carnegies, I eventually sold it as it was kinda melty looking. The old Carnegies do still have some nostalgic retro appeal to me.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Say what you want about the allosaurus, but for such a popular genus, there are only a few better (including it's own predecessor  :o).

I also like the old spinosaurus... save for the new paintjob. That's what makes it look ugly. The original mold was a lot nicer before they reworked it.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 14, 2017, 11:44:03 PM
Say what you want about the allosaurus, but for such a popular genus, there are only a few better (including it's own predecessor  :o).

I also like the old spinosaurus... save for the new paintjob. That's what makes it look ugly. The original mold was a lot nicer before they reworked it.
I'm more into accuracy. I'm not a big fan of retro dinosaur figures. I like the newer Carnegie figures better, especially the new Spinosaurus. And there are plenty of really good Allosaurus' like the desktop model from Favorite Co. Just look at it!

terrorchicken

^yeah thats not really a toy figure though, its true there arent very many good toy allosaurus figures. Its Euro cousin megalosaurus fares no better. I still think the old Invicta one is the best still out there and I really need to get me one to add to my Invicta BNHM collection.

actually now that I think of it, some of the best toy allos were the 2 older Jurassic Park ones, go figure.

Ravonium

Neosodon

Quote from: Ravonium on October 06, 2017, 07:34:10 AM
While this is certainly ugly, there is something else that is possibly worse:

This is apparently supposed to be a Brontosaurus
https://www.stuffedsafari.com/Bruno-the-Taddle-Toes-Stuffed-Brontosaurus-p/ar-16331.htm
Looks like Dr. Wu used to much frog DNA.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Ravonium

I agree. This thing is an abomination of life that shouldn't be seen by any human.

tyrantqueen

It doesn't look like a dinosaur, but it's hardly an abomination. It actually looks rather cute.

Ravonium

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 06, 2017, 08:56:14 AM
It doesn't look like a dinosaur, but it's hardly an abomination. It actually looks rather cute.

OK, but for a dinosaur, it is still an abomination.

CityRaptor

Well, as frog it is also inaccurate.

Quote from: terrorchicken on October 05, 2017, 11:54:48 PM

This one is ahead of other plush Dinosaurs.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

I like the two headed plush. I like that it has two heads- it reminds me of chinasaurs, and how it's almost a meme with cheap Chinese made dinosaurs to have two heads.

If I saw it in a charity shop I might even be inclined to buy it. Not at full RRP, but as pre-owned I couldn't complain.

IrritatorRaji

Has anyone ever talked about the Natural History Museum Tyrannosaurus model because I feel like I haven't seen many mention it

BlueKrono

Holy cow. Looks like The Scream.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

tyrantqueen

Those NHM figures are heavily inspired by Carnegie and Safari figures. That particular Tyrannosaurus is "inspired" by the Carnegie anniversary rex if I recall correctly. The anniversary rex is still a great figure, if you can get one without googly eyes.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: