News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on August 03, 2022, 04:38:11 PMA @Andysdinosaurreviews has made a video of the 1:18 Velociraptor figure:

The visible pins aren't great but the figure still looks very good to me.  The tiny painted teeth are impressive!

Still wish these 1:18 raptors were less articulated. IMO sacrificing a bit of articulation is worth it for a more coherent and naturally flowing sculpt.

Sim

Something I noticed from the video I shared earlier is that the 1:18 Velociraptor has been improved from its 1:6 scale version.  The second and third finger of dromaeosaurids are thought to have been connected for most of their length to better support the wing feathers.  Out of the 1:6 BotM dromaeosaurids only the ones with feathered hands had the two fingers connected.  The 1:18 Velociraptor however has those two fingers connected.  This makes me very happy!  I also like the feather covering of its hands.

Faelrin

Oh nice catch there with that avatar_Sim @Sim. Glad to see it was improved in that direction. I wonder if that was intentional or just the result of shrinking the sculpt down, etc? Really hope I can get around to these before the year is over. I've been wanting these 1/18 raptors for some time.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

A @Andysdinosaurreviews's video of the 1:18 Dromaeosaurus:

The pins seem less noticeable on dark areas.  The Dromaeosaurus looks very good just like the Velociraptor.  I look forward to the videos of the Linheraptor and Psittacosaurus!

Fembrogon

My of four 1:18 dinos arrived today!

As expected, all of them are beautiful in hand; sculpt detail is exquisite for the size (Protoceratops has a particularly nice finish to feel), and the paint apps are quite impressive too. All the articulation points appear to be working as intended, albeit with some help from a hair dryer first for some (which I was expecting). The figures do have their shares of quirks, however. The arm pins on my two raptors are still a little obvious, especially on Dromaeosaurus. Both raptors' left shoulders seem to run against the joint, so I'll have to be careful that doesn't turn into damage in the future. My dromaeosaur's head likes to pop off too; honestly the raptors feel a little fragile in hand due to their design, so I'm a little nervous when handling them. Protoceratops is much more sturdy, of course; but it bothers me that the head isn't articulated *EDIT* yes it is, actually; mine just was a little extra stuck/stiff. Oops!
Psittacosaurus is the one figure I don't have any qualms with yet; it's got the best balance of sturdiness and flexibility, so it's on its way to becoming my unexpected favorite. I only wish it had come with its own toe clamp or posing rod, but at least I have extras from the raptors.

These are definitely cool, overall - probably a bit more expensive than what some people (including me, frankly?) would typically care for, and still prone to some faults, but a welcome step forward in the evolution of this line.

LBDINO

I also got my figures in today and very happy with them. The Psittacosaurus is phenomenal wasn't expecting it to be the stand out. These are my first botm amd couldnt be happier. Raptors are good little fragile but I expected especially being his first run at this scale am sure in time it will be better. Hope he continues to produce raptors in these scales, Protoceratops has a great finish and feel to it.

Flaffy

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon Based on Andy's review, the Protoceratops heads are articulated. Are you sure you didn't receive a faulty copy? Or maybe you didn't loosen the joint enough?

Fembrogon

Quote from: Flaffy on August 06, 2022, 12:51:28 AMavatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon Based on Andy's review, the Protoceratops heads are articulated. Are you sure you didn't receive a faulty copy? Or maybe you didn't loosen the joint enough?
I worked it some more and sure enough, the head joint came free. That's much better! I thought it seemed odd the head/neck wouldn't be articulated.

Sim

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon, does the peg on the base go through the Psittacosaurus's foot?

Fembrogon

avatar_Sim @Sim, the sitting legs have peg holes in their feet, but standing legs do not (EDIT: only the left leg has a peg hole). In the above photo my figure is held in place by a raptor toe clamp.

Sim

Thanks avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon.  I'm surprised the Psittacosaurus doesn't have a peg hole in the standing legs or a foot clamp, as the standing legs are what would need it.  I wonder if the factory made a mistake and put the peg hole in the sitting legs instead of the standing legs?  I'm still planning to get the Psittacosaurus though.

Sim

Fembrogon

avatar_Sim @Sim, I double-checked and discovered that there IS actually a peg hole for the standing legs, but only on one foot. I'm unsure if this is a deliberate design choice or an odd quirk of mine.

Also, for that matter, I'm having trouble telling the left and right hind leg pieces apart. The patterns are too similar!  :))

Sim

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon, I'm happy to hear there is a peg hole for the standing legs!  As for telling the legs apart, I think the dewclaw should be on the inside for each leg.

Concavenator

Shouldn't the Psittacosaurus have the patagium on its hind limbs?

Sim

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, I think for the larger version I remember David saying it wasn't possible to include it due to articulation.  I think it would be the same for the small version.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

EmperorDinobot

Here's hoping that they'll be available for everyone soon. I'm quite anxious for those in the right scale so I can picture them with my ever growing collection of 1:18 human figures.

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on August 08, 2022, 07:22:08 PMavatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, I think for the larger version I remember David saying it wasn't possible to include it due to articulation.  I think it would be the same for the small version.

Oh I see, a pity.

terrorchicken

Quote from: LBDINO on August 06, 2022, 12:06:15 AMI also got my figures in today and very happy with them. The Psittacosaurus is phenomenal wasn't expecting it to be the stand out. These are my first botm amd couldnt be happier. Raptors are good little fragile but I expected especially being his first run at this scale am sure in time it will be better. Hope he continues to produce raptors in these scales, Protoceratops has a great finish and feel to it.

I pre-ordered 3 of the 1/18 figures on 7/25, but haven't heard back from them after the initial "order is being processed" email. Did they send you an email letting you know they've been shipped?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: