You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 23, 2016, 01:22:32 AM
For me a lot of these dromaeosaurs are so similar that depending on how you choose to apply the feathers most of them could look, "interchangeable" so to speak, in life. Most of these could easily pass as most of the others (sans Balaur), so I'm probably just going to choose my favorite one artistically and then use it as "x species of dromaeosaur" when needed. Whereas Buitreraptor and Mononykus aren't so similar to other species being produced in the series, so there isn't the same sort of feeling of potential overlap.
Yeah, honestly I think at least three (and maybe even four) of the dromaeosaurs he's sculpting are probably the same animal. The only ones I'm planning to get are V. mongoliensis, one of the Dromaeosaurus (can't decide which one yet...), and maaaaybe the wedge-tailed eagle coloured Pyroraptor.

Don't forget the electronic WWD3D Troodon. It's only issue is the lack of a facial disc (speaking of which, has anyone brought that up in the comments yet?).
Also, the skull seems to be the wrong shape and it has a scaly face. The facial disk has actually never been anything more than speculation, although I am quite of fan of that idea myself so it would be cool to see a figure that has one.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Digibasherx

stargatedalek

Quote from: Yutyrannus on May 23, 2016, 02:08:05 AM
For me a lot of these dromaeosaurs are so similar that depending on how you choose to apply the feathers most of them could look, "interchangeable" so to speak, in life. Most of these could easily pass as most of the others (sans Balaur), so I'm probably just going to choose my favorite one artistically and then use it as "x species of dromaeosaur" when needed. Whereas Buitreraptor and Mononykus aren't so similar to other species being produced in the series, so there isn't the same sort of feeling of potential overlap.
Yeah, honestly I think at least three (and maybe even four) of the dromaeosaurs he's sculpting are probably the same animal. The only ones I'm planning to get are V. mongoliensis, one of the Dromaeosaurus (can't decide which one yet...), and maaaaybe the wedge-tailed eagle coloured Pyroraptor.
Wait, I was under the impression none of these coexisted? Some of these are very different skeletally (to my untrained eyes) it's just that with soft tissue (especially feathers) on top they all end up having the same general proportions.

Don't forget the electronic WWD3D Troodon. It's only issue is the lack of a facial disc (speaking of which, has anyone brought that up in the comments yet?).
Also, the skull seems to be the wrong shape and it has a scaly face. The facial disk has actually never been anything more than speculation, although I am quite of fan of that idea myself so it would be cool to see a figure that has one.
I don't know of any animal with unevenly placed ears that lacks a facial disc. I mean I'm sure it's possible that it lacked one but it just seems more likely it would have one. I'm not certain but I believe some nocturnal birds with evenly placed ears also have facial discs, so they may be the precursor to unevenly placed ears.

Blade-of-the-Moon

yeah i'm considering dropping the Saurornitholestes..there is just way too much to choose from. Might even ditch Tsaagan ..he looks a lot like the Velociraptor and that would help me with the accessory packs if they are funded.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 23, 2016, 04:47:18 AM
Wait, I was under the impression none of these coexisted? Some of these are very different skeletally (to my untrained eyes) it's just that with soft tissue (especially feathers) on top they all end up having the same general proportions.
I was referring to V. mongoliensis, V. osmolskae, and Linheraptor (the one I was saying I was not sure about was Tsaagan). They're just so absurdly similar that I think it is just individual variation.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Victoria's Cantina

Zhenyuanlong is beautiful in that artwork. This is going to make my decision on what to get even harder.

Flaffy

Now I'm really worried for the accessory packs. 4 days left and the current pledge ammout is $247,600... :o I really do hope that at least one of the accessory packs makes it.  :-[

Silvanusaurus

I know this is off topic but can someone elaborate on what is meant by a 'facial disc'? Would that be like the face of an owl? and what is the reason to suppose Troodon had one? (I'm not disputing, I'm just ignorant on this subject.)

Dobber

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 23, 2016, 05:09:38 AM
yeah i'm considering dropping the Saurornitholestes..there is just way too much to choose from. Might even ditch Tsaagan ..he looks a lot like the Velociraptor and that would help me with the accessory packs if they are funded.

Blade, I don't think you can drop Tsaagan. The first 3 are nonnegotiable, so if you have the Raptor pack then you have to get the original 3. You can only swap the stretch goal raptors around.

For me I'm done now.I'm going for the Raptor Pack (Velociraptor Mongoliensis, Atrociraptor, and Tsaagan)
+
Sauronitholestes Langstoni (Roadrunner)...don't care for the Original S. Sullivani's color scheme.
Balaur,
Adasaurus,
Dromeosaurus (original),
Acheroraptor,
Zhenyuanlong,
Pyroraptor (Thrush repaint)

Very much look forward to getting these next year.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Silvanusaurus

I know I'm rowing against the stream on this; but i think i've been turned off the Zhenyuanlong by the revealed colour scheme. I'm not sure why exactly, its just personal preference. Perhaps I'll wait to see the actual figure. I hope we get to see the fully painted Balaur soon...

spinosaurus1

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on May 23, 2016, 08:38:06 AM

I know this is off topic but can someone elaborate on what is meant by a 'facial disc'? Would that be like the face of an owl? and what is the reason to suppose Troodon had one? (I'm not disputing, I'm just ignorant on this subject.)

it all started with the discovery of troodon having asymmetrical ears. so people kinda automatically made it with analogous features of owls, including facial disks that help channel sounds to the ears. although troodons skull serves little attachment points for such a structure to hang on the skull and the inner ear structure of owls differ greatly compared to troodon.

stargatedalek

A disc to the extent of an owl is rather silly. Something more subtle like a frog mouth is most likely.

tyrantqueen

Is it true that there is going to be a resin kit version of these? I recall it being mentioned somewhere in the thread but I'm not 100% sure. I think I'll wait for that.

Flaffy

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 23, 2016, 03:02:23 PM
A disc to the extent of an owl is rather silly. Something more subtle like a frog mouth is most likely.
Like this? :D (cryolophosaurus)

Credits to Sammy Hall.

Sim

Quote from: Yutyrannus on May 23, 2016, 05:18:35 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on May 23, 2016, 04:47:18 AM
I was referring to V. mongoliensis, V. osmolskae, and Linheraptor (the one I was saying I was not sure about was Tsaagan). They're just so absurdly similar that I think it is just individual variation.

Although, Linheraptor has been found to be anatomically more like Tsaagan than Velociraptor, and V. osmolskae is only known from a skull fragment...  V. mongoliensis and Tsaagan are known from the Djadochta Formation, while V. osmolskae and Linheraptor come from the Bayan Mandahu Formation.  There seems to be closely related species found in both of these formations but with small differences dependent on which formation they come from, this is also seen in the Protoceratops and Pinacosaurus species from these formations for example.  So this seems to support these animals not being the same species.  They do look very similar, but don't the bones of many extant species look nearly identical or identical even to those of their close relatives?  I'm not saying small differences mean different species, as there are extant species who's anatomy can differ a bit due to individual variation.  The available evidence doesn't make me think these dinosaurs from the two formations are all the same species though.  Maybe chronospecies?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 23, 2016, 03:03:39 PM
Is it true that there is going to be a resin kit version of these? I recall it being mentioned somewhere in the thread but I'm not 100% sure. I think I'll wait for that.

David said that a ways back, I assume he still intends to do it.  Not sure of cost though.

Sim

The first post of this thread doesn't give a good idea of what this line is like, which might be where people looking at what this line is like might stop reading.  Perhaps it would be good to edit the first post to have a link to the Kickstarter right at the beginning of the post?  This would also make it easy to find a link to the Kickstarter, especially in the future when people might not have it bookmarked anymore.  So maybe putting the following right at the start of the post:

Kickstarter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/992645470/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-raptor-series-action-figure

Flaffy

Can't agree more! I just went back to the first post and it doesn't reflect what this line actually offers. The first post should be replaced of the painted prototypes of the raptors and a link to the Kickstarter as Sim stated.  ^-^
$5000 away from Stretch goal #10, Fan-voted Zhenyuanlong!!!  ;D

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Dobber on May 23, 2016, 11:02:49 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 23, 2016, 05:09:38 AM

Blade, I don't think you can drop Tsaagan. The first 3 are nonnegotiable, so if you have the Raptor pack then you have to get the original 3. You can only swap the stretch goal raptors around.

You can if you change your pledge from the Raptor Pack to either the Atrociraptor or Tsaagan. (Something I'm considering doing considering all the options we now have.)

TomWToyForum

So are there plans for these toys to be sold at launch if you're not a backer? I don't allow myself to back Kickstarters, but I really want one of these.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: