You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: Chad on May 26, 2016, 12:28:02 PM
A quick question: How do you add the accessory packs to your pledge? I think I'm going to go for the Dirty Dozen tier but I'd also like to get a couple of the accessory packs but that doesn't come up as an option for me. Do you need to write that in somewhere?
The accessory packs are Stretch Goals, like the stretch goal raptors, I think you just add the amount needed to your pledge to cover the costs of the accessory packs you want. 

Flaffy

Forest Accessory pack with Microraptor is funded!  ;D ;D

empire3569

Quote from: Victoria B on May 26, 2016, 05:14:59 AM
^I wish I had your restraint. :)

I need y'all's help making a decision. I'm quite certain I'd like to change my pledge from Raptor Pack to just one of the main three raptors and then add on a few stretch goals. But I cannot decide between Atrociraptor and Tsaagan (I want the blue Velociraptor so I'm not considering the orange version). I really like the head on Atrociraptor as well as the dark color scheme. But, I love the vulture-esque appearance of Tsaagan. Any suggestions? I know I can add on either one but I don't want to pay the $40 add on price for either of those.

As far as stretch goals (other than the Kickstarter exclusive raptor) I'm also considering Dromaeosaurus, Zhenyuanlong, and Linheraptor. And maybe one of the accessory packs.

If you're considering the dromaeosaurus, then I would go with the Tsaagan. The Atrociraptor is so similar to dromaeosaurus (with their deep skulls, darker colors, and small primaries) I think the Tsaagan would be the better choice :) I'm at 80$ with the velociraptor and dromaeosaurus; I initially pledged for the Atrociraptor and dromaeosaurus, but for the above reasons in similarity switched the the velociraptor

Sim

I'm really happy the Buitreraptor, Mononykus and Microraptor accessory packs have been unlocked!  I've added to my pledge for all three of these packs.

The baby raptors are something some people really want.  Look at the comments for yesterday's update, for example.  I'm not really interested in baby raptors myself.  However, since I knew others were interested in ones that could interact with the adults outside of the nest, and David was considering if and how they could be included, I suggested three ways they could be included.  (Click if you want to see my comment.)  One way I suggested was replacing one of the accessory pack species, and I mentioned reasons why Buitreraptor or Troodon could be replaced (and that replacing any of the current accessory pack species could lead to some people being disappointed...).  David said he's pretty set on the accessory packs though.  I'm happy with the choices David has made.  I also would not have been keen on an accessory pack species being something known only from extremely fragmentary remains in order to be a species known to coexist with one of the existing figures.

Quote from: Dobber on May 23, 2016, 12:16:36 AM
I'm also very glad the Roadrunner S. Langstoni has been unlocked. I'm going to get that one instead of the white S. Sullivani

I'm glad about that as well, and that you'll get to have a dromaeosaur with roadrunner-inspired colouration.  I'm amazed when I think something we suggested will actually become a figure!

Blade-of-the-Moon

i think i'm dropping Balaur now..it doesn't look near as different as the concept art showed. :/  but i can afford an accessory pack now. :)

empire3569

So does anyone thing we will realistically unlock the baby raptors (about $40K away) in 24 hours? I didn't think all the accessory packs would be unlocked but they were.... this one just seems too large of a feat for a small window of time

Flaffy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 26, 2016, 05:39:19 PM
i think i'm dropping Balaur now..it doesn't look near as different as the concept art showed. :/  but i can afford an accessory pack now. :)
Should the raptors that have large wings/primary feathers include longer feathers on its humerus as shown in the concept art? (Balaur, Zhenyuanlong) As of now, the Balaur looks a little awkward with those long primary feathers and "skinny" humerus.
(If I get anything wrong about raptor wing anatomy, please forgive me for my lack of knowledge on the subject :-[)
If David decides to re-sculpt the humerus feathers, the Balaur will look more unique. I guess articulation will be a problem so yeah, it'll be hard to pull off but the end result might look wonderful. Hopefully the paint app will bring out how special the Balaur is!  ;D ;D ;D 

Flaffy

Quote from: empire3569 on May 26, 2016, 05:54:13 PM
So does anyone thing we will realistically unlock the baby raptors (about $40K away) in 24 hours? I didn't think all the accessory packs would be unlocked but they were.... this one just seems too large of a feat for a small window of time
I was surprised that all the accessory packs made it! However, $40K in 23hours is indeed a large feat, I do hope that the babies will get funded in time. They look so cute!  ^-^

terrorchicken

quick question: do they charge extra for shipping for the stretch goals? like I want to get velociraptor so I have to pay $45 (raptor plus $10 ship to USA.) If I pledge the extra $30 for the accessory forest pack is the ship cost already covered in the 10 bucks for the raptor shipping or will I have to add another $10 later for the accessory pack?

Silvanusaurus

I don't like to put a downer on things, but I'm seriously dissapointed in the revealed Balaur sculpt. It doesn't appear to have any of the unique features of the original design, which were the main reason I pledged for it; it had a really cool haggard, unkempt and spiky look that I really loved. I realise it's unreasonable to expect the final piece to look exactly the same as the concept art, but why design it to look like that if it's going to turn out almost indistinguishable from the standard velociraptor?  :(
Surely the face and wings at least could have retained the jagged look?

I'm not particularly interested in this one any more, if it will indeed look like this, I might decide on a different stretch raptor. If they are all going to look this similar I guess I might as well base it off whichever colours I like most. I'm also very worried now about whether the Zhenyuanlong design will suffer the same fate... I'm sure they will still be great figures in and of themselves, but I feel like I was kind of 'tricked' out of the money by the promise of the design... and it was a hard stretch for me to pledge for more than one raptor in the first place.

Ts124

Hi this is my first post here!

I believe David made the Balaur based off of the package art rather than the concept art. The concept art was way too "out there" for my tastes honestly. The problem I have with the sculpt is that the second claw seems too high up on the leg.

empire3569

I too was a little disappointed with lack of the "jagged" look on the Balaur; that was the only other stretch goal I was considering, but after seeing the prototype it's an easy pass. Nice sculpt, but like others said, not unique enough

Blade-of-the-Moon

at least you  can see what he re-sculpted...but there just isn't enough different to tell much apart from the others..if it weren't for the extra claw I'd swear it was a velociraptor.

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Faelrin on May 26, 2016, 06:02:54 AM
I'd say get one now, and add the other on the survey? Or get both now, and get the stretch ones at the survey? Of course that's assuming you'll have the budget to do that then too. It can be hard to decide with so many and they are nice. In fact I'm struggling to decide too. Perhaps go with the one(s) you are in the mood for right now or if fits with the others you're planning on? I hope this can help. PS, I've been subscribed to your videos for a while. Good stuff. I'm just too shy to post comments on youtube, otherwise I'd have said something sooner. Also sorry for minor derail there.

Now back on topic for me. My pledge is at $160 now, but this was back when I planned on the print, postcard set 1, the two Velociraptors and the snowy Dromaeosaurus. I will probably be altering it around $140, dropping the Dromaeosaurus for now, and adding that at the survey, and adding postcard set 2. If I can afford to get more, then I will push on an accessory pack and/or postcard set 3 pushing it to around $170. Also close to unlocking the forest pack now, and the Microraptor included with it. I'm wondering if that would go well alongside the Zhenyuanlong, both found from China if I recall.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback and kind words!

Quote from: empire3569 on May 26, 2016, 03:24:52 PM
Quote from: Victoria B on May 26, 2016, 05:14:59 AM
^I wish I had your restraint. :)

I need y'all's help making a decision. I'm quite certain I'd like to change my pledge from Raptor Pack to just one of the main three raptors and then add on a few stretch goals. But I cannot decide between Atrociraptor and Tsaagan (I want the blue Velociraptor so I'm not considering the orange version). I really like the head on Atrociraptor as well as the dark color scheme. But, I love the vulture-esque appearance of Tsaagan. Any suggestions? I know I can add on either one but I don't want to pay the $40 add on price for either of those.

As far as stretch goals (other than the Kickstarter exclusive raptor) I'm also considering Dromaeosaurus, Zhenyuanlong, and Linheraptor. And maybe one of the accessory packs.

If you're considering the dromaeosaurus, then I would go with the Tsaagan. The Atrociraptor is so similar to dromaeosaurus (with their deep skulls, darker colors, and small primaries) I think the Tsaagan would be the better choice :) I'm at 80$ with the velociraptor and dromaeosaurus; I initially pledged for the Atrociraptor and dromaeosaurus, but for the above reasons in similarity switched the the velociraptor

Good suggestion. I think that's what I'll do. Thank you!

Dobber

Quote from: Sim on May 26, 2016, 04:56:38 PM
I'm really happy the Buitreraptor, Mononykus and Microraptor accessory packs have been unlocked!  I've added to my pledge for all three of these packs.

The baby raptors are something some people really want.  Look at the comments for yesterday's update, for example.  I'm not really interested in baby raptors myself.  However, since I knew others were interested in ones that could interact with the adults outside of the nest, and David was considering if and how they could be included, I suggested three ways they could be included.  (Click if you want to see my comment.)  One way I suggested was replacing one of the accessory pack species, and I mentioned reasons why Buitreraptor or Troodon could be replaced (and that replacing any of the current accessory pack species could lead to some people being disappointed...).  David said he's pretty set on the accessory packs though.  I'm happy with the choices David has made.  I also would not have been keen on an accessory pack species being something known only from extremely fragmentary remains in order to be a species known to coexist with one of the existing figures.

Quote from: Dobber on May 23, 2016, 12:16:36 AM
I'm also very glad the Roadrunner S. Langstoni has been unlocked. I'm going to get that one instead of the white S. Sullivani

I'm glad about that as well, and that you'll get to have a dromaeosaur with roadrunner-inspired colouration.  I'm amazed when I think something we suggested will actually become a figure!

Thanks Sim, congrats to both of us indeed ^-^. I just asked David in the comments section if there is a possibility of making the Crest more full and larger, like the Roadrunner. Seems like a simple enough thing for an artist of his caliber. Since it is a different animal to S. Sullivani unlike the other 3 fan voted raptors which are just repaints, it would help differentiate it. I know tooling costs money but if he is already paying for new casts for display sets, baby raptors, ect why not just add a new head top? If you like the idea please comment in the KS. Maybe we can get him to do it.  ;)

I too was a little disappointed n Balaur. It really does look an awful lot like Velociraptor.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

stargatedalek

The Balaur is no more different from its concept art than any of the other "originals". I think it's because they were altered to be more accurate.

Victoria's Cantina

OK, I think I'm done! Here's what I'm getting:

Pledged for Tsaagan ($45 w/shipping)
Add-on: Blue Velociraptor ($30)
Add-on: Linheraptor ($35)
Add-on: Either Dromaeosaurus OR Zhenyuanlong ($35)
Add-on: Forest Accessory Pack ($30)

Total: $175

I couldn't decide between Dromaeosaurus and Zhenyuanlong, and I wanted to stay below $200, so I'll just see what they both end up looking like and then make a decision. Given the way Balaur turned out, I'm a bit nervous for Zhenyuanlong since they both have thick wings.

Vraptor140

I'm holding on at $97, one velociraptor and one stretch raptor.

empire3569

So I know I said I was gonna pass on the Baluar, but I keep going back to the prototype images.... I think it's gonna look pretty sweet with that black/blue coloration, and those double sickle claws. I may have to add this to my pledge, and if it turns out I don't like it I can switch to a different stretch raptor or accessory pack (and just eat the 5$). Decisions decisions.....

Takama

Out of all of these Models. The Balaar disappoints me because it looks too much like a Dromeosaur, when it should be a BIRD

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: