News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Blade-of-the-Moon's Art

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 13, 2012, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 08, 2021, 09:22:35 AM
You will have that phenomenal pliosauroid. It is very beautiful, it reminds me of the kronosaurus figure from Collecta, when it comes to color.

Sorry for the late reply! Thank you, it's inspired by a couple of different sources. :)

Started painting this Guanlong model.  I wanted to highlight the feathers in the black area more so tried some blue..unfortunately it now looks a bit like another "Blue" dinosaur.  Maybe I'll redo it with green?

Shonisaurus

You are looking great that guanlong honestly is for me one of your best theropods made to date. The details of the teeth, and the head are exceptionally good, the details of the feathers have been fantastic, I would like some brand of toy dinosaurs to make a guanlong figure similar to yours

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 11, 2022, 11:02:36 AM
You are looking great that guanlong honestly is for me one of your best theropods made to date. The details of the teeth, and the head are exceptionally good, the details of the feathers have been fantastic, I would like some brand of toy dinosaurs to make a guanlong figure similar to yours

Thank you!  I didn't actually sculpt this it's a fiberglass statue I'm repainting..hence the incorrect wrists..lol 

Kapitaenosavrvs

Outstanding work, i really like it. What a hard Question to answer.
As a Viewer or Visitor, i would just love all the Work i am seeing. As someone that also does here and there a bit with paints and Dinosaurs, i absolutely feel your problem with the blue and the connection to overpresented in your face "raptor blue". If you are unhappy or aren't feeling the blue, try something else i would say. You know how to paint well. Green seems to be a bit hard, but thats my personal preferences. Overall I like the way you painted it. It is clearly and directly recognizable as feathery "fur". Great work.

The only thing, i do not understand is, why the Hands are pronated. But there will be reasons, i guess.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on January 12, 2022, 12:33:32 PM
Outstanding work, i really like it. What a hard Question to answer.
As a Viewer or Visitor, i would just love all the Work i am seeing. As someone that also does here and there a bit with paints and Dinosaurs, i absolutely feel your problem with the blue and the connection to over presented in your face "raptor blue". If you are unhappy or aren't feeling the blue, try something else i would say. You know how to paint well. Green seems to be a bit hard, but that's my personal preferences. Overall I like the way you painted it. It is clearly and directly recognizable as feathery "fur". Great work.

The only thing, i do not understand is, why the Hands are pronated. But there will be reasons, i guess.

Thanks!  i guessed maybe green as a male duck/ mallard look but yeah it might be difficult.  orange or red could work but its possibly too much?     

the pronation is just the sculptor basing it on old reconstructions. ..pronation has really only been fixed even in toy companies the past few years. i possibly could have cut them off and reattached but it would be a weak point.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Alternative Images Rampaging Stegosaurus model kit completed. Sculpted by the super talented Joe Laudati!  Built and painted by me

triceratops83

That is awesome. The King Kong Stegosaurus is my all time favorite movie dinosaur. Even the skin texture and plates are the correct shape from the film.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 30, 2022, 03:51:36 AM
That is awesome. The King Kong Stegosaurus is my all time favorite movie dinosaur. Even the skin texture and plates are the correct shape from the film.

Joe did a fantastic job sculpting it, my only complaint is I wish it were larger lol

I used color pics of the prop to try and match the color, bit difficult to tell if the coloration is the original or if it's due at least in part to degradation.

Shonisaurus

Making that kit apart from the fact that it took you time and that it has been fabulous relaxes your mind and spirit at the same time. that retro stegosaurus is very nice.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 30, 2022, 05:48:40 PM
Making that kit apart from the fact that it took you time and that it has been fabulous relaxes your mind and spirit at the same time. that retro stegosaurus is very nice.

Thank you, it keeps me busy when i'm stuck inside.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Crater Lake Monster sculpted by Joe Laudati build and painted by myself! This is one of those movies I loved as a kid but also scared me as well. Particularly that scene..with the head? Man I would just close my eyes or fast forward through it lol. But the film was captivating for me. I hated they had to kill it at the end..a trope for monster movies.. would have been better to trap it and make a tourist attraction for the struggling town.

Shonisaurus

How nice did you stay! Seeing the immensity in the different threads of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals and in this case of fantastic creatures made by the different brands of current, discontinued and vintage toy and/or collectible dinosaurs, I am amazed at how ignorant and illiterate I am as collector since I limit myself to four companies and many of them I had never heard of. Thank you for sharing those photos and my congratulations for this relaxing work that you have undertaken to make the kit of that great work by Joe Laudati.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 05, 2022, 03:53:39 PM
How nice did you stay! Seeing the immensity in the different threads of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals and in this case of fantastic creatures made by the different brands of current, discontinued and vintage toy and/or collectible dinosaurs, I am amazed at how ignorant and illiterate I am as collector since I limit myself to four companies and many of them I had never heard of. Thank you for sharing those photos and my congratulations for this relaxing work that you have undertaken to make the kit of that great work by Joe Laudati.

Very welcome!

Here's a link to his web page, lot's of cool stuff.  http://www.joelaudati.com/   

He sells some himself and others  through Alternative Images via facebook.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Working a couple of juvenile Triceratops to go with my adult.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Pachyrhinosaurus

Off to a great start on these two. I could be wrong, but I think baby triceratops' brow horns were a bit more upright than these two? Either way, I'm sure they'll pair well with your adult triceratops.

Also I was wondering, what dinosaur skull is that in the background?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on March 10, 2022, 02:53:05 AM
Off to a great start on these two. I could be wrong, but I think baby triceratops' brow horns were a bit more upright than these two? Either way, I'm sure they'll pair well with your adult triceratops.

Also I was wondering, what dinosaur skull is that in the background?

this is my reference Jorge Blanco's baby trike :

I'm not a 100% sure, I purchased it from Shane Foulkes, I think he said it was possibly an Probactrosaurus. It was purchased by him from a fellow in Canada, I found a picture of the exact one in Dan LoRusso's facebook album so it might have been owned by him as well?

Pachyrhinosaurus

Interesting; it isn't what I'm used to seeing on the skull, but the keratin sheath would make up for the difference.

I remember Dan posted that a while back, didn't know it was the same one.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on March 10, 2022, 11:38:39 PM
Interesting; it isn't what I'm used to seeing on the skull, but the keratin sheath would make up for the difference.

I remember Dan posted that a while back, didn't know it was the same one.

I matched up the nicks and scrapes and it seems the same. pretty cool.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Grumpy and Sleestak from Land of the Lost, sculpted by Joe Laudati built/painted by myself

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: