News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

British Museum (Natural History) by Invicta

Started by DinoToyForum, May 07, 2012, 12:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iguanocolossus

I think the Invicta Dimetrodon still holds up today. It's a very good sculpt

Libraraptor

Where did you get THAT great one again, Invicta Hunter? Very nice variant! And in the background: Is that Blue Whale´s body somewhat bent?!

Invicta Hunter

Quote from: Libraraptor on April 26, 2013, 06:26:24 PM
Where did you get THAT great one again, Invicta Hunter? Very nice variant! And in the background: Is that Blue Whale´s body somewhat bent?!

I got this great little figure from a dino lot on ebay for £4.99 and i got the whale in the background along time ago on ebay. It came with a normal Invicta whale and i think i paid around £25 for the two. The whale has no Invicta markings on it but it looks so much like a real Invicta, even the molding marks are in the same place.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I haven't seen a ton of Invictas..but I recently got an almost mint Diplo with no bite marks finally !

I was looking at it compared to my old Diplo and the new one is very glossy and shiny whereas the older one was flat..the info area is also blurred a bit on the new one and it's crisp on the old one. Any thoughts ?

CityRaptor

Could be a sign of mold degeneration.

And yes, the Dimetrodon is pretty awesome looking.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

I thought maybe they used a different type of plastic at different times , but I'm not too up on Invicta variants and such.

I did finally get the Brachiosaurus as well..man that is one HUGE hunk of plastic. I love toys with weight..this one would have decimated my younger brother's army men.. lol

Bokisaurus

Aha, got one! ;D
Finally got myself one of those unusual clear plastic Invicta figures that were floating around here and there.
I tell you, it is beautiful! The figures made with this type of material really do look like glass! I wonder how many of the figures were made using this material. I only got the ichtyosaur.
The plastic have a pinkish tone to it, adding some really interesting character to it. The figure was produced in 1986, not sure if that helps.

Invicta Hunter

Quote from: Bokisaurus on June 23, 2013, 07:39:46 PM
Aha, got one! ;D
Finally got myself one of those unusual clear plastic Invicta figures that were floating around here and there.
I tell you, it is beautiful! The figures made with this type of material really do look like glass! I wonder how many of the figures were made using this material. I only got the ichtyosaur.
The plastic have a pinkish tone to it, adding some really interesting character to it. The figure was produced in 1986, not sure if that helps.

Sorry to say this but that's just a painted Invicta that has had it's paint removed. I did this to one of my figures, they really do look nice though.

Seijun

I think there could have been invictas that left the factory in this unpainted condition.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Invicta Hunter

Battatitan

Unique Ichthyosaur and interesting thoughts on how it came to be like this. Would it be commercially viable to buy a lot of Invictas and rub off their paint to produce such models?

Whatever the circumstances, the model looks splendid. Congratulations, Boki  :))

Libraraptor

Beautiful Ichtyosaurus, for whatever reason it looks like this! I saw at my new painted Brachiosaurus that underneath the paint there is also some pale, glassy material. I do not think it would be commercially effective, however, for there are enough painted Invictas out there and whoever wants one of those stylish glassy looking figures can make him/herself one.

But Boki, how does the material feel? Is it rubber or is it plastic material? If it´s plastic, it´s really unique! Some prototype molds perhaps?!

I remember Dr.Admin´s strange Plesiosaurus three or so years ago. We were all quite irritated, weren´t we?!

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Libraraptor on June 24, 2013, 06:23:30 PM
Beautiful Ichtyosaurus, for whatever reason it looks like this! I saw at my new painted Brachiosaurus that underneath the paint there is also some pale, glassy material. I do not think it would be commercially effective, however, for there are enough painted Invictas out there and whoever wants one of those stylish glassy looking figures can make him/herself one.

But Boki, how does the material feel? Is it rubber or is it plastic material? If it´s plastic, it´s really unique! Some prototype molds perhaps?!

I remember Dr.Admin´s strange Plesiosaurus three or so years ago. We were all quite irritated, weren´t we?!

I do remember that figure that Adam had years back ;D
The figure feels softer, more rubbery than the hard plastic that was used in their older models. Its also very smooth  ;D

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Invicta Hunter on June 23, 2013, 09:18:49 PM
[/URL]

Sorry to say this but that's just a painted Invicta that has had it's paint removed. I did this to one of my figures, they really do look nice though.
[/quote]

This is absolutely an unpainted Invicta and not one that just had its original paint rubbed off ;D. The pristine condition of the figure prove that; if the paint was just rubbed off, it will show signs of residue or scratches, both of which this figure does not show.
It is more likely that Invicta decided to try out a different type of material ( cheaper?) for their painted figures sometime in the 80's instead of the regular ones used in their older monochrome figures ( which are all one solid color).
It makes sense for those painted figures whose paint rubbed off ( showing the clear plastic material under).
How some of these unpainted clear plastic figures escaped is another question... maybe they were sold as paint it yourself set?
Although rare, there are enough of these clear plastic material figures floating around to warrant investigating.

But again, who knows what experiment Invicta was trying out in terms of their figures material. There seems to be some unusual materials used in making their figures that randomly pops up here and now.

A few years ago ( Posted it in the V1 forum), I acquired a plesiosaur that, at first glance, looks just like the regular blue one.
It is only when you handle it that you can tell that it is not made out of plastic.
Based on how hard it is ( believe me, I have tried to bend the neck and flippers without any success), and how it sounds like when you tap it, it seems like the material is some type of metal or hard resin. Definitely not plastic ( not even like those used to make Kaiyodos).
I never did find out any information about this unusual material ( not even from that 3 part article about Invicta's history published  in the Prehistoric Times magazine last year), It continues to be a mystery. Perhaps one of you have any idea and shed some much needed information.

On the right side (darker blue) is the figure that is made out of metal/resin (?) ,compare it to the plastic version on the left side.
]

FUTABA

Just been in my attic looking for some of the figures I got as a kid and found a painted Invicta Cetiosaurus which I forgot I had as well as my old Invicta Troodon (which is partly what I was searching for up there). The Troodon is in better condition than I thought it was too. I also have an unpainted Cetiosaurus, painted Apatosaurus (with a fair amount of wear including a slightly creepy see-through face), Brachiosaurus, Mamenchisaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Iguanodon, Scelidosaurus and I'm pretty sure I have a Baryonyx somewhere. I also have the Pteranodon, Plesiosaurus, Ichthyosaurus, a couple of different shades of Glyptodon and a couple of Mammoths. I posted somewhere on here that I had a Diplodocus but I was mistaken. Some of them are a bit chewed up but I paid very little for them all as I got them all many years ago at car boot sales and stuff.
I really really like blue things.

docronnie

Lucky you, Futaba! It's like finding your long lost treasure ...
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

FUTABA

Indeed I am. It is like finding treasure (my dad likened it to Storage Wars or whatever it's called). Despite hardly leaving the confines of my bedroom and suffering from mild dehydration, I've had a surprisingly productive day.
I really really like blue things.

Invicta Hunter

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Invicta Hunter

Thanks Jetoar, i think the Dimetrodon is one of the best in the Invicta line so to find another variant has really made my week.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: