News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

what was the first carnotaurus and utahraptor toy made in the whole entire world

Started by MaastrichtianGuy, September 07, 2015, 04:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaastrichtianGuy

i know u guys think that carnegies remake of the carnotaurus from 2011 and the wwd's utahraptor from toyway were the greatest figures of the two dinosaurs made for the whole entire world but i know that they're has been lots of toys been made based on two of these dinosaurs so can anyone tell me which is the first carnotaurus toy and the first utahraptor toy made in the world

sauroid

not very sure tho:
Carnotaurus - Jasman and Carnegie
Utahraptor - CollectA
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Takama

Quote from: sauroid on September 07, 2015, 04:44:43 AM
not very sure tho:
Carnotaurus - Jasman and Carnegie
Utahraptor - CollectA

Safari made a Utah raptor in the 90s.  As did Kenner (for jurassic park)

SBell

Utahraptor was only described in 1993 0r 1994. The first one I am aware of is from AAA--it was a weird black & yellow figure with a crest on its head.

The first Carnotaurus I know of for sure is the Battat, around 1995. The original doofy grey Carnegie came a few years later (I think)--it was later repainted in green, until being replaced by the far superior one in 2009.

John

Quote from: MaastrichtianGuy on September 07, 2015, 04:39:41 AM
i know u guys think that carnegies remake of the carnotaurus from 2011 and the wwd's utahraptor from toyway were the greatest figures of the two dinosaurs made for the whole entire world but i know that they're has been lots of toys been made based on two of these dinosaurs so can anyone tell me which is the first carnotaurus toy and the first utahraptor toy made in the world
Both the first Carnotaurus and Utahraptor,were part of the Jurassic Park series 2 toy line from Kenner in 1994. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: SBell on September 07, 2015, 05:00:30 AM
Utahraptor was only described in 1993 0r 1994. The first one I am aware of is from AAA--it was a weird black & yellow figure with a crest on its head.

The first Carnotaurus I know of for sure is the Battat, around 1995. The original doofy grey Carnegie came a few years later (I think)--it was later repainted in green, until being replaced by the far superior one in 2009.

The Battat Utahraptor came out in 1996 and the Carnegie Carnotaurus came out in 1997 (Battat Carnotaurus was 1998). I Think John is correct that the 1994 JP Carnotaurus and Utahraptor are good candidates for the first ever toys, though I don't know what year the AAA came out. Given that it came out less than a year after Utahraptor as actually described, the JP must at least be one of the first. That's almost CollectA-level turnaround time ;)
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

CityRaptor

The second JP series had quite a few premieres. Those two, Tanystropheus, Lycaenops...It is also the origin of Scutosaurus and Estemmenosuchus.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Sim

i know u guys think that carnegies remake of the carnotaurus from 2011 and the wwd's utahraptor from toyway were the greatest figures of the two dinosaurs made for the whole entire world

Where did you see that?  Those two figures are very good.  However, I think which figure of an animal is the "greatest" or "best" tends to be what people prefer rather than a fact.  In my opinion the greatest toy Carnotaurus and Utahraptor are...

For Carnotaurus I think it's Battat's.  Carnotaurus is a really remarkable animal for many reasons, one (or two) of which are its head being very narrow while the base of its tail is VERY wide!  Both the Battat and Carnegie have the narrow head (although Carnegie's has its teeth joined together) but the Battat Carno gets the very wide tail base muscles right, while the 2011 Carnegie Carno has the typical incorrectly under-muscled dinosaur tail that has been common in dinosaur restorations despite not being based on evidence.  Comparison with crocodilian tails helped to show dinosaur tail bases were wider than often thought.  While the Carnegie dinosaurs tend to have under-muscled tails, the Carnegie Deinosuchus has an appropriately large tail base!  The 2011 Carnegie Carnotaurus also lacks padding under its feet.  I prefer the colour scheme and pose of the Battat Carno to that of the Carnegie one too.

For Utahraptor it's more difficult as it's known from very incomplete remains (unless you're one of the very few who know the exact details of the recent Utahraptor finds, at least).  I don't think the fragmentary remains of Utahraptor explains why the AAA "Utahraptor" looks like a Dilophosaurus more than anything else though!  I think the greatest Utahraptor toy is Battat's.  The sculpting is excellent, the colour scheme is nice and the pose is striking.  I like the Toyway WWD Utahraptor too, but I find it's let down by basically not having a pose.  Although the paper describing more complete remains of Utahraptor hasn't come out yet, details of the revised appearance of Utahraptor have been shown to a degree, and the Battat Utahraptor seems to guess the "new" leg and tail proportions correctly.  At the same time, it appears the long legs and tail of the Toyway WWD Utahraptor are not correct.

terrorchicken

WWD Utahraptor reminds me of Kermit the frog...I cant help it. :P

why hasnt anyone tried making another estemmenosuchus? talk about a weird looking non-dinosaur reptile!

John

i know u guys think that carnegies remake of the carnotaurus from 2011 and the wwd's utahraptor from toyway were the greatest figures of the two dinosaurs made for the whole entire world
In my case,I actually am quite fond of the 2011 Carnegie Carnotaurus sastrei,but there is a dead heat between it and the 1997 Battat version in my opinion.But in the case of Utahraptor ostrommaysorum,I'm going to have to go with the Battat one as the best so far. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Dilopho

I don't count the AAA Utahraptor as a Utahraptor.

It's a Dilophosaurus with the wrong name! (I really want it, too....)
I know of a few old Utahraptors including the Jurassic Park 2 one

And the Battat ones!

But I'm pretty sure that the first ever Carnotaurus might have been the Jurassic Park Demon Carnotaurus.

(None of these are my photos)

Sim

AAA actually made a Dilophosaurus too which has a different sculpt.

Quote from: Dilopho on September 11, 2015, 07:01:01 PM

This Utahraptor is actually by AAA too (I know, it looks nothing like the adult).  AAA copied colour schemes from Battat MOS dinosaurs for some of their figures, this Utahraptor is one example of this.  You can see some other examples here: http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/AAAsmall.html  I've seen AAA adult Dilophosaurus, Tyrannosaurus and Ceratosaurus with the colour schemes of the Battat MOS versions too.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 07, 2015, 12:32:45 PM
The second JP series had quite a few premieres. Those two, Tanystropheus, Lycaenops...It is also the origin of Scutosaurus and Estemmenosuchus.

Did they also premiere the Chasmosaurus, or were there toys of that one previously?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 11, 2015, 07:53:20 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on September 07, 2015, 12:32:45 PM

Did they also premiere the Chasmosaurus, or were there toys of that one previously?

I had a little monochrome Chasmosaurus (Marx-style, but probably not actually Marx) that I got at Toys R US when I was a kid. It came in a package with a similar Tyrannosaurus and Parasaurolophus. Sort of pastel colors, if I remember correctly. I haven't seen a similar one since, so I say yeah, let's go with JP!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Roselaar

The TLW Chasmosaurus dates from 1997. I have a tough time believing there wasn't a Chasmosaurus figure before that...

Dilopho

Quote from: Roselaar on September 11, 2015, 09:56:06 PM
The TLW Chasmosaurus dates from 1997. I have a tough time believing there wasn't a Chasmosaurus figure before that...
I'm pretty sure Roselaar is right here. That's really early for a Chasmosaurus to be released!

John

The earliest Chasmosaurus toy that I can think of is the solid grey one from the Royal Ontario Museum's line from around 1977 or so. :)

Shonisaurus

Jurassic Park made a carnotaurus of Collecta in the first half of the nineties I think it was the first, it was a dinosaur unarticulated (was in a comic book store) and unfortunately for me I could not buy because I did not have my wallet money for it could only buy from the same company gallimimus also not articulated and is a jewel in my collection.

When I returned to the store they had already sold. It was a shame

Gwangi

Quote from: John on September 11, 2015, 10:12:02 PM
The earliest Chasmosaurus toy that I can think of is the solid grey one from the Royal Ontario Museum's line from around 1977 or so. :)

That's what I was going to suggest as well. And it may be the one that Halichoeres had as well.

This would be a good idea for an entire thread, a list of firsts.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on September 11, 2015, 11:14:01 PM
Quote from: John on September 11, 2015, 10:12:02 PM

That's what I was going to suggest as well. And it may be the one that Halichoeres had as well.

This would be a good idea for an entire thread, a list of firsts.

I'd forgotten about the ROM version! I don't think that's the one I had, but it could possibly have been a knockoff. My memory of it is dim.

I also think that would be a good idea for a thread.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: