News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

"Wrath of the Goliaths" Shapeways Store

Started by Simon, September 13, 2015, 05:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Folks, Manuel has now uploaded - at my request - a 1/30 Shapeways model of one of his Tyrannosaurs and the Saurophaganax.  He will be uploading the incredible Spinosaurus as well.

I have ordered the TRex and will review it when it arrives. Its 40cm or 16 inches long.

Here is Manuel's store link below.  He can upload ANY of the dinosaur designs for this game to Shapeways (now that is mind blowing, isn't it?)  Just PM him if you're interested.

His Shapeways store:  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/manuelsaurus

Here are the models uploaded so far that you can order:

Takama

So if I wanted his squropods in 1:30 scale.  He will upload them

Simon

He hasn't said "no" to me yet!  He would have to break it up into a kit of several pieces to do a 1/30 sauropod, but I sent him a link to the Shapeways store of Gorgonzola - another DTF member, who did that with a 1/20 Amargasaurus.

Manuel seems to be really good at this digital art stuff - he told me he could upload any of the designs to Shapeways.  I chose the 1/30 size because 1/40 is too small to get the detail I want to see.  I ordered the TRex and will order that walking Spinosaurus as soon as he uploads it ....

Drop him a PM, he's always answered me within a day .... if you want the kit in 1/40, or 1/35 size just ask him - he seems to have no problems making it to the scale that you want ...

Takama

I have no interest in the Dinosaurs yet, as i wish to wait until the actual game is out

But I Wonder if he can 3d print a 1:32 model of this charector

I been in search of a Decent 1:32 man that goes well with my own line of dinosaurs

Simon

John

Thank you for the information and link,Simon!It's very much appreciated! ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Simon

I asked Manuel if he could do a closed-mouth version of the Spinosaurus walking similar to the TRex above.  I think that will look a lot more natural.  Personally I prefer "normal" poses for these animals, as opposed to "extreme" poses, but he has said that he can change the pose of the kits, so he could do both if someone wanted a more lurid looking animal ...

Takama

Ok i asked him about that human, and he said he cant use it because it was someone elses Rendering and he left the project discarding that charector.

But i want a list of Potential Animals that will be in the game so i know what peaks my interest.    One thing i wish for is that he makes bases that could be bought seperatly to attach to the bipids for display porposes

Simon

In other news, Manuel's 1/30 TRex is now on its way to me from Shapeways.  Will review it on this thread, with plenty of pictures, so .... stay tuned!!!

Rain

Wow these look great, I'll have to order a T rex for myself once I round up some more cash.
By the way, I think those pictures are broken Simon, or maybe it's just me.

ITdactyl

Hi Simon, the pics of the new Spinosaurus aren't showing, as Rain mentioned.  Just thought I'd echo his feedback 'cause I'm also really curious what it looks like.

Simon

Coming soon to Manuel's Shapeways Store:  1/30 Spinosaurus:

Folks, now THAT is a SPINOSAURUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Incidentally, to those who were wondering, 'how could it walk on its short hind legs'?  THERE is your answer.  A good ergonomical illustration is worth a thousand words, isn't it?)   :) :) :)

To elaborate - the tail weighs much more than the head and neck, and the greatest concentration of weight is in the hips area.  Now walking the animal looks "front-heavy" but as Gerschwin put it, that "ain't necessarily so".  Besides, the walking forward motion requires a parallel body to the ground.  The moving legs and feet ensure that even if the animal is slightly front-heavy in this position, it doesn't fall over.  If it stops, then the back arches slightly upwards and the center of gravity moves backwards to a point of equilibrium.

This ain't rocket science folks.  Just basic physics and gravity.  What IS totally impossible given the build of the animals arms, is 'knuckle walking'.

Rain

Wow, that would look amazing in model form

ITdactyl

oh wow, it is indeed a very nice model.  If this is based on the dachshund skeletal, then Manuel sure did an impressive muscle study.

terrorchicken

thats the best rendering of a spinosaurus Ive seen. Its never been one of my favorite dinos, but this design makes me change my mind...I especially like the girthy neck...

Simon

Today I got the 1/30 TRex from Shapeways.  This is the first Shapeways sculpt that I have ever received, and while there are a few minor imperfections that might be due to the walls of the hollow torso being a bit thin in places (there are several small holes in the model, including a cluster on top of the back above the hips - which can easily be filled with a tiny bit of putty and will not be visible once painted up), that I have asked Shapeways to review and get back to me on, I still wanted to review this model.

This is the best, most accurate reconstruction of a TRex that I have ever seen.  My hat is off to Manuel - he is not only an amazing artist, but his paleo-reconstructions are absolutely masterful.  Frankly many expensive resin hand-sculpts of this animal look cartoonish when compared to this beast.

The scale detail is visible (though not as sharp as it might be due to the subtle layering of the printing process that loses a little of the surface detail of any Shapeways sculpt) and given the overall quality of the design is quite satisfactory.  The teeth and claws are pointy, sharp, and excellently done (these were the details I was worried might not survive the printing process, but they came out A+)

In summation, I grade this model an overall A+.  Its an artistic masterpiece, and I might add, while I chose this particular pose, Manuel has offered to upload this model in different poses (for those who prefer a more lurid, mouth-agape look).

Here are some photos of the unpainted model, fresh out of the box, taken tonight:

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

manuelsaurus

Great post Simon and thank you for you review .
I've solved the problem of holes in the tyrannosaurus and I've uploaded the model with more thickness walls in shapeways.

Thanks for all Simon.

Simon

Thanks Manuel!

Manuel's Spinosaurus is now available as well.  I have ordered the first printing and will review it when it arrives:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/manuelsaurus

John

And at my request,Manuel has also uploaded Ceratosaurus in 1/40 scale in materials including frosted ultra detail and the new FROSTED EXTREME DETAIL!!!. ;D
Thank you Manuel!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/BP7JQHVJQ/ceratosaurus?li=shop-results&optionld=57911067

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: