News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

I think the main reason why I have issues with the accuracy of the head its because a expected papo to make an accurate Baryonyx since it´s recent figures have been more accurate to the real animal(Although not without it´s mistakes), unlike the first ones which are JP dinosaurs. This "change of direction" give me hope that papo would pull of an accurate, supper detailed Baryonyx. Thus my complaints on the result.

Shadowknight1

What I find funny is all these gripes about the notch on the Baryonyx, what about that overtly pronounced double crest on the Velociraptor?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 17, 2016, 07:16:48 PM
What I find funny is all these gripes about the notch on the Baryonyx, what about that overtly pronounced double crest on the Velociraptor?

It's as if Safari, CollectA or Favorite does better....none of these gripes seem like deal-breakers to me...

Sim

As far as I can see, the Velociraptor's crests follow the shape of Velociraptor's skull, exaggerating those parts of the skull.  There are small prominences on Velociraptor skulls where the Papo figure's crests are most prominent. The Papo Velociraptor's prominent crests, its featherless head and its fierce expression are all things I would prefer a Velociraptor figure not to have, but I'm not surprised for these to be present on a figure by Papo.  I accept these things as part of this representation of Velociraptor which I think is the best Velociraptor toy available and the only feathered Velociraptor figure I like enough to want to have out of the ones that currently exist.  Its head shape appears to be correct which makes it recognisable as Velociraptor.

I'm not interested in the Papo Baryonyx.  The notch, the shape of the top of its snout, and its nostrils so far back on its snout add up and make its head not look like a Baryonyx head, to me.  I find its head ends up looking like that of another real dinosaur (Spinosaurus), and since the body is clearly not that of Spinosaurus, it looks like a mix of the two dinosaurs.  I also dislike the Papo Baryonyx's pose due to how close its hands are to its head.  This is just how I feel about it.

LophoLeeVT

:)well i think it is the small creast on its head that is formed like a triangle what makes people think that it is a spino head
in most depicktions fo baryonyx it is rather a flat horn while in crested spino pics it is usually a triangle.
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Appalachiosaurus

The crests on the Velociraptor are like the angry eye brows on the T. rex. An overly used paleoart meme, but not exactly wrong.

AcroSauroTaurus

A real Velociraptor had a pair of crests in front of its eyes, and if they were covered in keratin in life, they would've been more pronounced then the fossils show, so Papo's feathered Velociraptor does have an accurate head sculpt.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Shadowknight1

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on April 19, 2016, 03:51:00 AM
A real Velociraptor had a pair of crests in front of its eyes, and if they were covered in keratin in life, they would've been more pronounced then the fossils show, so Papo's feathered Velociraptor does have an accurate head sculpt.
While my comment was mostly in jest, I know a bit more about Velociraptor now.  And the more you know!

Viking Spawn

MLMjp

Yeeeeessssssss!!!!!!!

Thank you Viking Spawn!!

That´s what I needed. Full HD pictures of this figure. ;D ;D ;D ;D. And it looks gorgeous. A same about the glossiness but I think I can overlook that. :)

I definitely need it. It´s going to be a great birthday present.

Give it to me! NOW!  >:D

suspsy

I'll also be picking up this fine fellow. Really hope Papo repaints their Triceratops next.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Viking Spawn

Glad you liked the photos. I really like this one! 

I too would love to see a triceratops repaint.

thelordsgym

Yes....thanks for sharing.....very nice images. This is a done deal for me as well!

Viking Spawn

LophoLeeVT

:))indeed as i know papo has never repainted their trike which is rather strange.
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

tanystropheus

Quote from: raptor64870 on April 20, 2016, 05:08:54 AM
:))indeed as i know papo has never repainted their trike which is rather strange.

nobody likes herbivores  :(

Shadowknight1

I got my feathered raptor today!  And wow, am I shocked!  My raptor doesn't have a glossy finish at all and the colors are more subdued.

Rain

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 21, 2016, 01:33:41 AM
I got my feathered raptor today!  And wow, am I shocked!  My raptor doesn't have a glossy finish at all and the colors are more subdued.
Shocked in a good way or a bad way?

Also, anyone else notice that Papo figures look a lot larger in pictures than they truly are? I picked up the Baryonx today and I felt it looked a lot smaller than online photos lead you to believe. I Felt the same way nearly a decade ago when I was gifted the standing Rex

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Rain on April 21, 2016, 02:46:15 AM

Also, anyone else notice that Papo figures look a lot larger in pictures than they truly are? I picked up the Baryonx today and I felt it looked a lot smaller than online photos lead you to believe. I Felt the same way nearly a decade ago when I was gifted the standing Rex

Funnily enough, I'm usually surprised by how much bigger they seem in reality than I'd expected.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Rain on April 21, 2016, 02:46:15 AM
Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 21, 2016, 01:33:41 AM
Shocked in a good way or a bad way?

A bit of both, really.  Shiny feathers are a thing in reality, so I wasn't going to go up in arms about it being glossy.  Now it's a lot more subtle, which I kinda like.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: