News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arul

Quote from: Rain on April 09, 2016, 01:58:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTvMXqwOsVM

It looks good but I'm not too fond of how the paint app turned out. It looks rather sloppy in some spots. To me, it's begging to be repainted

Is that a review from Jurrasic Collectables ? I expect a better video quality from him as usual, but this video is too bright.. Cant show the actual color/detail of the figure

Shonisaurus

The velociraptor looks pretty good, much better than in the other video is a good figure. When you buy I will ensure that pupils have painted correctly in both eyes.

Rain

I hope Mastermind toys gets it in soon

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Rain on April 10, 2016, 02:49:29 PM
I hope Mastermind toys gets it in soon

I feel your pain. It hasn't been released in the UK yet, either, and frankly it's the only one of Papo's 2016 dinosaurs that I'm really interested in. Might pick up the Coelodonta as well, though.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Saurox

Everything_Dinosaur

The Papo Kaprosuchus in now in stock at Everything Dinosaur: Papo Kaprosuchus Model

PaleoMatt

ED when will the Raptor be in stock?

joossa

The Kaprosuchus is breath-taking. More pictures in my collection thread....

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Shadowknight1

For all you other US people(and me who could no longer wait for ED), Dan's Dinosaurs has the feathered raptor in stock!  Mine is ordered and on the way!

It's not my thing, but wow that Kapro looks fierce.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

terrorchicken

in those pics it looks like a taxidermied specimen!  :o

tanystropheus

It looks like the Kaprosuchus is Papo's best model to date. Even better than their Dimetrodon.

Also, the Baryonynx is vastly underrated. What a beautiful head sculpt! Yes, it is a peculiar pose. Haven't y'all seen your pet dogs and cats in peculiar poses?! Take a picture of your pets to 'freeze' them in those unique poses!

MLMjp

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 16, 2016, 09:03:40 PM
It looks like the Kaprosuchus is Papo's best model to date. Even better than their Dimetrodon.

Also, the Baryonynx is vastly underrated. What a beautiful head sculpt! Yes, it is a peculiar pose. Haven't y'all seen your pet dogs and cats in peculiar poses?! Take a picture of your pets to 'freeze' them in those unique poses!

The pose is the last thing that I would dislike of that Baryonyx. I actually find the pose interesting and I really like the detail and colors of it. What bugs me more about it is the size (It should be like the Allosaurus) and the Spinosaurus-like head, magnificent sculpt on it, but because of the snout it does not completely resemble Baryonyx.

stargatedalek

Papo figures have never been locked into any particular scale, even those of the same species.

MLMjp

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 16, 2016, 10:27:19 PM
Papo figures have never been locked into any particular scale, even those of the same species.

I know it but... It would have been nice if at least it was smaller than the T.rex figures. The Papo figures of dinosaurs that in reality were smaller that T.rex are smaller than the Tyrannosaurus figures, so minus a few ones (raptors, marine and flying reptiles and Kaprosuchus) they look more or less in scale(some can pass as bigger or smaller individuals). Is it just my personal preference when it comes to collecting figures.

At least we agree in the fact that the snout makes it´s head look like a Spinosaurus head, right?

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 16, 2016, 10:27:19 PM

They have also rarely had head sculpts that did not deviate a fair bit from the real thing. The Baryonyx is one of their best, so I don't empathise with those singling it out. 

stargatedalek

I honestly don't understand why people say it looks like a Spinosaurus head, it's a nearly spot on Baryonyx head aside from lacking the overbite.

If the scale relative to the Tyrannosaurus really bothers you use it as a Suchomimus stand-in, Suchomimus was about as large as Tyrannosaurus (just substantially shorter in height).

MLMjp

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 16, 2016, 11:08:39 PM
I honestly don't understand why people say it looks like a Spinosaurus head, it's a nearly spot on Baryonyx head aside from lacking the overbite.

If the scale relative to the Tyrannosaurus really bothers you use it as a Suchomimus stand-in, Suchomimus was about as large as Tyrannosaurus (just substantially shorter in height).
Well I decide how I use it when I buy it(Despite my complaints I still think that looks pretty cool ;)) If I ever get one, because is expensive. Who was the member that said that this figure had a case of the "reboritis" virus/desease?? :o Because minus the T.rex repaint, everything new from papo this years feels expensive.... Or I´m just not up to date of Papo´s prices. The last time I bought a papo figure was last summer, but that was my first papo dino in years so.....

Sorry if I´m being too harsh, repetitive or tiresome, but the main reason why it looks like a Spino head is the notch on the upper jaw, it is like the one on Spinosaurus, not like the one of Baryonyx.

Look at the notch on the upper jaw:

The notch on the upper jaw looks more like this:

Rather than this:

I hope you finally see why, but if some of you still think there´s no problem with it then that´s fine. I´m not going to insists anymore.

My apologies if I caused any inconvenience.

empire3569

The head inaccuracy doesn't bother me either; idk if papo has ever made a super accurate head sculpt for any of their therapods (with maybe the exception of the new feathered raptor); the Trex/Spino/old raptor are all JP copies, the skull on the carnotaurus is too wide, and I want to say the allosaurus head sculpt is also a bit off  (but don't quote me, I don't own it nor have I examined it in person). I'd say the papo baryonyx is on par with the rest of their therapods, it has a nice dynamic pose (mine stands on two legs) and a vibrant color scheme. It's a winner for me

stargatedalek

Look at the notch relative to the teeth in it and the way it flares downwards, not it's proportions relative to the entire skull, that's definitely based on Baryonyx itself. That being said neither is actually known from a complete skull so it doesn't matter so long as it matches the bits we have.

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 17, 2016, 04:57:03 AM
Look at the notch relative to the teeth in it and the way it flares downwards, not it's proportions relative to the entire skull, that's definitely based on Baryonyx itself. That being said neither is actually known from a complete skull so it doesn't matter so long as it matches the bits we have.

The notch in the Papo Baryonyx's upper jaw matches that of Spinosaurus, but it's too long compared to Baryonyx's.  The top of the Papo Baryonyx's snout is the exact same shape as the top of Spinosaurus's snout, the curves are identical.  In Baryonyx, the top of the snout is straighter (there's images and a video on the Baryonyx Wikipedia page that show this).  The location of the Papo Baryonyx's nostrils corresponds to their location on Spinosaurus's skull.  In Baryonyx, the nostrils start much earlier on the snout, just after the notch.  All this makes me think the Papo Baryonyx's head is based on Spinosaurus's head.

This doesn't stop the Papo Baryonyx from fitting in well with other Papo figures, as others have mentioned there are many Papo figures with inaccurate heads, e.g. the Tyrannosaurus, the JP Velociraptor, the Carnotaurus, the Pachyrhinosaurus, the Spinosaurus, the Pteranodon, the Parasaurolophus...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: