News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

I actually think the Papo wins out in accuracy, especially its posture. Neither is perfect by any means but the Papo looks less "gargoyle-y" and more like a naturalistic crocodilian with enlarged teeth.

Kovu

They're both excellent, largely accurate sculpts. The missing teeth on both and the less bulbous snout on the Papo could just be chalked up to individual variation. That's how I look at it at least...

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Rain on April 03, 2016, 01:23:53 AM
Well, JurassicCollectibles did a review on it..So it's been released somwhere

It was given to him for review courtesy of Everything Dinosaur... it may or may not be officially available yet.

Sim

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 05, 2016, 12:19:23 AM
Quote from: Sim on April 04, 2016, 10:45:00 PM
It looks like the Papo Kaprosuchus is missing some teeth?  Comparing it to the drawing of Kaprosuchus's upper and lower jaws seen on Paul Sereno's website here (third image near the bottom of the page), it looks like the Papo figure is missing the two small teeth before the second large tooth in the lower jaw, and the last four teeth of the lower jaw?  These teeth are all present on the Wild Safari Kaprosuchus, however the Wild Safari Kapro seems to be missing the last two teeth in the upper jaw, which are present in the Papo Kapro...

haters gonna hate j/k :P ;)

Now, I have to bring down the rating from 100/100 to 98/100. 2 point drop for 2 missing teeth.

Are you so sensitive about Papo that you need to say "haters gonna hate" despite me saying something about the Papo Kapro objectively, saying the WS Kapro also appears to be missing teeth, and the other part of my post being me expressing liking the new Papo Velociraptor sculpt to the point of wanting to get it? :) ;)

The missing teeth I mentioned would be on both sides of the jaw, so the Papo Kaprosuchus would be missing 12 teeth, while the Wild Safari Kaprosuchus would be missing 4 teeth.  I find it interesting how, as I mentioned in my previous post, the teeth missing in one of the figures are present in the other figure.

postsaurischian

It looks like the Papo Kaprosuchus is missing some teeth?  Comparing it to the drawing of Kaprosuchus's upper and lower jaws seen on Paul Sereno's website here (third image near the bottom of the page), it looks like the Papo figure is missing the two small teeth before the second large tooth in the lower jaw, and the last four teeth of the lower jaw? ....... .

Now, I have to bring down the rating from 100/100 to 98/100. 2 point drop for 2 missing teeth.

You shouldn't! It's only natural ;D (No, I don't think this was Papo's intention).
As with today's crocodilians it's highly improbable that it was wearing all its teeth at once.
Crocodiles always loose teeth while celebrating their biting orgies.

Sim

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 05, 2016, 03:29:19 PM
You shouldn't! It's only natural ;D (No, I don't think this was Papo's intention).
As with today's crocodilians it's highly improbable that it was wearing all its teeth at once.
Crocodiles always loose teeth while celebrating their biting orgies.

I don't know about that, the missing teeth I mentioned on both the Papo and WS figures are the same ones on both sides of the jaw...  E.g.: On both sides of the Papo Kapro's lower jaw it's missing teeth number 6, 7, 13, 14, 15, 16.  On both sides of the WS Kapro's upper jaw it's missing the last two teeth.

Edit:  Looking at the video and photos of the Papo Kaprosuchus again it looks like the figure is also missing a few more teeth, but asymmetrically.  It also looks like it has an extra pair of teeth in the lower jaw before the largest teeth?  These aren't present on the WS Kapro and if I'm understanding Paul Sereno's drawing correctly they aren't known on the Kaprosuchus skull either.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Sim on April 05, 2016, 03:19:04 PM
It looks like the Papo Kaprosuchus is missing some teeth?  Comparing it to the drawing of Kaprosuchus's upper and lower jaws seen on Paul Sereno's website here (third image near the bottom of the page), it looks like the Papo figure is missing the two small teeth before the second large tooth in the lower jaw, and the last four teeth of the lower jaw?  These teeth are all present on the Wild Safari Kaprosuchus, however the Wild Safari Kapro seems to be missing the last two teeth in the upper jaw, which are present in the Papo Kapro...

haters gonna hate j/k :P ;)

Are you so sensitive about Papo that you need to say "haters gonna hate" despite me saying ....

The inclusion of the j/k seemingly mollifies the effect of my words.
Likewise, your inclusion of the accuracy of the raptor's skull seemingly mollifies the effect of your words.
We're even, as far as I can tell.

Saurox

Managed to get the Feathered Velociraptor, RR trex and the kaprosuchas ordered.

hopefully not to long to wait.  :)

Sim

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 05, 2016, 08:46:26 PM
Likewise, your inclusion of the accuracy of the raptor's skull seemingly mollifies the effect of your words.

I said in a neutral way how it looked to me like the Papo and Wild Safari Kaprosuchus were missing some teeth.  I also expressed liking the new Papo Velociraptor and wanting to get it.  I'm not sure why you called me a "hater", even if you weren't serious about it?

tanystropheus

Quote from: Sim on April 05, 2016, 10:43:19 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on April 05, 2016, 08:46:26 PM

I said in a neutral way how it looked to me like the Papo and Wild Safari Kaprosuchus were missing some teeth.  I also expressed liking the new Papo Velociraptor and wanting to get it.  I'm not sure why you called me a "hater", even if you weren't serious about it?

It's an inside joke (that seems to work w REBOR products, as well). Forget it.

Dan

fason

jk means just kidding or joking , he wasn't really calling you a hater, also as many have said the croc would most likely loose some teeth  after a while of hunting ,calling the wild safari one more accurate seems a bit far fetched, as the ws one  has a less  (how do i put this ).....realistic?......simplistic?...(oh ,you get the point )        sculpt because the skull was  flatter  and the legs most likely would be more splayed out , (but hey to each there own  ).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

fason

also on a side note i was not saying one was better than the other

LophoLeeVT

:-[ turnes out that the rr rex also has these these weard teeth.......
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Blade-of-the-Moon

Based on a V-Rex..didn't it always have weird teeth?

Sim

Quote from: fason on April 06, 2016, 12:43:52 AM
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       jk means just kidding or joking , he wasn't really calling you a hater, also as many have said the croc would most likely loose some teeth  after a while of hunting ,calling the wild safari one more accurate seems a bit far fetched, as the ws one  has a less  (how do i put this ).....realistic?......simplistic?...(oh ,you get the point )        sculpt because the skull was  flatter  and the legs most likely would be more splayed out , (but hey to each there own  ).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

I know what "j/k" means, hence why I replied the way I did.  Even with the j/k, I found the "haters gonna hate" comment over the top.

I find it odd that in both Kaprosuchus figures some teeth missing on one side of the jaw are also missing on the other side of the jaw, as I mentioned previously (e.g. on the Safari Kapro the last 2 teeth are missing on both the left and right sides of the upper jaw so a total of 4 teeth are missing).  The Papo Kapro also appears to be missing 3 more teeth asymmetrically though, although it is missing more teeth than the Safari Kapro.  (Papo's appears to be missing 15 teeth, while Safari's 4 teeth).

Kaprosuchus has a skull that is very different from that of other crocodyliformes and is only known from the skull, so I don't think we can tell how accurate the rest of the body is on the Safari and Papo Kaprosuchus.  Additionally, when moving on land extant crocodilians can hold their legs almost vertically.

fason

sorry by legs i meant toes ,i know there  are missing teeth , but the expense to have those teeth would be higher for a small figure and might hinder  the movable jaw.

Rain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTvMXqwOsVM

It looks good but I'm not too fond of how the paint app turned out. It looks rather sloppy in some spots. To me, it's begging to be repainted

postsaurischian

Exactly. But basically it's a great sculpt with 3 standing options (which the reviewer failed to emphasize).

I don't like the review. Something about the camera or the lightning is just bad. The Velociraptor looks better in reality.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Sim on April 06, 2016, 04:21:42 PM
I find it odd that in both Kaprosuchus figures some teeth missing on one side of the jaw are also missing on the other side of the jaw, as I mentioned previously (e.g. on the Safari Kapro the last 2 teeth are missing on both the left and right sides of the upper jaw so a total of 4 teeth are missing).  The Papo Kapro also appears to be missing 3 more teeth asymmetrically though, although it is missing more teeth than the Safari Kapro.  (Papo's appears to be missing 15 teeth, while Safari's 4 teeth).

I find this interesting :).
And I also think (don't get me wrong) that it's a great compliment for Papo that meanwhile we're discussing the number of teeth of the their models (not the bunny hands or the tripod poses).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: