News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Courtesy of POP of FAN:

Feathered Velociraptor.

Kaprosuchus.

Green Velociraptor.

Rainbow Running Rex.

Baryonyx.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Arul

Man cant hide the hype, imho i love that feathered velociraptor the most from all of 2016 figure so far. Btw, is there any possibility for wave 2 ? :P

Just short notice, suspsy already made a specific thread for 2016 papo figure announcement : http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4145.msg122109;topicseen#new

Jetoar

Wonderful, however the Baryonyx looks strange but is cool too.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sauroid

when i first saw the Baryonix in another thread i didnt recognise it immediately as a Spinosaur, i thought Papo has branched out into Kaiju figures or something.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Centrosaur86

That Papo Feathered Velociraptor and Kaprosuchus are really nice models, close to perfection! But that Baryonyx... i don,t no...

CityRaptor

Quote from: sauroid on December 11, 2015, 12:09:03 PM
when i first saw the Baryonix in another thread i didnt recognise it immediately as a Spinosaur, i thought Papo has branched out into Kaiju figures or something.

It's simply rearing. But if you want to see it as a Kaiju, maybe it is fighting the Schleich Therizinosaurus.

To quote myself:
Quote from: CityRaptor on December 11, 2015, 09:52:34 AM
New sculpts:

Feathered Velociraptor: looks pretty good and clearly shows that Papo can make pretty accurate Dinosaurs if they want to do them. This one shall be the Alpha!

Kaprosuchus: I see they did not go for the Primeval look and instead produced a very natural looking animal. Which makes sense, as Blade already pointed out: Papo has a history with well-made crocodilians, even their Croccodile Mutant looks rather natural. It also looks different enough from the Safari version of the same animal.

Baryonyx: Okay, it is a tripod, but it is clearly rearing up to attack something or maybe to avoid an enemy attack. Maybe it just wants a hug. It is also big and beefy and has a certain quality to it.

So far I like all three.

Repaints:

Velociraptor: Papo for sure likes to repaint that mold. Now with Version 4 ( counting the Exclusive ) you got a Raptor Squad. The decisions to make it green is probably based on Jurassic World, but for JP collectors, it can also be used as a stand in for the Raptors from the the first novel. I might be wrong, but the image looks like it could be a photoshop of the first version instead of a pic of the actual figure.

T.rex: Would make a good companion piece to the Exclusive one. Now both adult molds have been released in green, brown and "shades of brown" ( can't think of a better name ). Kinda needs a third version of the Baby now.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

suspsy

Let's get the repaints out of the way first. I couldn't care less about the green raptor, but the RRR is tempting.

I have to say, the feathered Velociraptor is far better than I thought it would be. I was expecting a JP-style raptor with a few feathers dangling off its arms a la Schleich, but this one frankly knocks out last year's Carnegie! Just look at that narrow muzzle and those non-pronated wrists!

The Kaprosuchus' snout looks more like an extant crocodile's than the real thing, but it's still a bloody impressive job.

The Baryonyx is . . . not what I expected. The head looks nice, but as someone already noted, it looks like it's trying to do its best Godzilla impersonation. The non-pronated wrists make me smile though.

Papo certainly is coming around to modern interpretations of dinosaurs. Well done!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

sauroid

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 11, 2015, 12:26:59 PM

It's simply rearing. But if you want to see it as a Kaiju, maybe it is fighting the Schleich Therizinosaurus.

YUP! thats what i thought too. it is exactly Schleich Theri's counterpart. (both well made  but unrecognizable for their species). i hope to see more pics of it in different angles.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Dobber

The Baryonyx looks....odd. Not even talking about the pose, it's the jaw. The lower jaw is SO thick compared to the rest of the skull. Also, it looks like it will have an underbite, with the top of the snout going inside the lower jaw. I will need to se more pictures.

The "Velociraptor" looks like a good Dromeosaur...possibly Deinonychus, but it doesn't look much like a Velociraptor to me. Plus the Tail looks a little short, though that may just be the angle it was photographed from.

Overall, interesting releases, but I want to see more before I decide to buy.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

MLMjp

Quote from: Dobber on December 11, 2015, 12:53:28 PM
The Baryonyx looks....odd. Not even talking about the pose, it's the jaw. The lower jaw is SO thick compared to the rest of the skull. Also, it looks like it will have an underbite, with the top of the snout going inside the lower jaw. I will need to se more pictures.

The "Velociraptor" looks like a good Dromeosaur...possibly Deinonychus, but it doesn't look much like a Velociraptor to me. Plus the Tail looks a little short, though that may just be the angle it was photographed from.

Overall, interesting releases, but I want to see more before I decide to buy.

Chris

I have to disagree, for me the skull has a shape that fits the profile of Velociraptor

Minmiminime

The Baryonyx is NOT what I was expecting at all, they've really gone for the grizzly-crocodile look, but I LOVE it..!

I'm very excited about all of these. Whether or not Papo dinosaurs are ever accurate, they are usually at least lifelike and beautiful.
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

SBell

That Baryonyx is why I almost never buy Papo dinosaurs. It doesn't even pretend to be a real animal. All spikes and knobbles and giant feet and pelican jaw--and a huge, obvious seam between the tail and body (and that's the catalog photo!). I know that Papo dinos need to be taken with a grain of salt, but this thing is straight out of the Utah Salt Flats.

Or, going out on a limb...unlike any other JP model, Indominus rex is off the table for trademark reasons--so they came up with a weird Indominus/Rudy (from Ice Age 3) style thing with just enough Baryonyx-like substance to call it that.

I'll look for the Kaprosuchus though--even though the Safari is far superior.

Silvanusaurus

Ok, I don't necessarily like the upright Godzilla pose in this context, but aside from that, inaccuracies be darned, I absolutely adore that Baryonyx! Like others have said, not what I expected at all, but in a good way... The bulk and fleshiness of it, the grizzled look, even the underbite, it has a lot of character and looks genuinely powerful, and doesn't have what I find to be the offputting shrinkwrapping of something like their running T rex... I may have to convert it to a more horizontal stance, but will wait to see what it's like in person...
That feathered Raptor is great too, the texturing of the feathers looks fantastic, and I'm so glad they've moved away from the JP 'velociraptors' with their floppy hands. And the Kaprosuchus I love too, the detail looks incredible. These are the first newly revealed figures for next year that I'm genuinely excited to get... that Baryonyx is my new church.

pylraster

Perhaps it's just me, but the Baryonyx reminds me of the Warpath Suchomimus. Had a lot of fun playing as that guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLbplmB8K0I>

Arul

Yes, a pity... For the baryo :( honestly im little bit dissapointed with the baryo, way to much out of my expectation, agreed with you guys "doesnt looks like real animal". I love monster style on paposaur (running trex, carno, allo, etc) but the baryo is just not looking fit...  :-\ but the good point for me is the feathered vraptor and the kapro is muuuch much better than my expectation. You know what, im not buying rebor utahraptor and WS kaprosuchus because i just wanna wait the papo 2016 product (many months ago some member here show us the interview result with papo sculptor, they plan to make feathered vraptor and kaprosuchus), because i believe papo will make it much better (detail+accuracy), fit for my taste (little bit monster style) aaand my wallet (at least the price is always less than $100 for 2-3 figures) :P and then yes it is !! Cant wait for the feathered vraptor and kapro :)

Patrx

Whoah, quite the lineup here!

I like the Kaprosuchus, but I've already got the absolutely brilliant Safari version. I may pick up this one anyway, though.
Definitely getting the green "raptor," it looks quite nice and will be a splendid addition to my Jurassic Park collection.
The, er, Baryonyx ... does not pique my interest in the slightest.

I have continually been frustrated by the lack of acceptable dromaeosaur figures. Each time one is announced, the first thing I check is the wings, but nobody has ever gotten them right. Not Safari/Carnegie, not CollectA, certainly not Schleich, not even Favorite. Kaiyodo managed it once, with their rare "Kitadaniryu". But I never thought, in all those years, that Papo would bother. Hopefully, this Veclociraptor is the beginning of a new trend.
That said, it still has problems. The face needs more fluff, and, if Matt Martyniuk is to be believed (which, of course, he is,) the manual digits should be fuzzy as well. The proportions seem a little off, too.

Shonisaurus

The Kaprosuchus looks great can be a good partner with the Safari brand.

Baryonyx is somewhat rare reminds me more of a suchomimus, Baryonyx not think hump had spiked. I vaguely remember a thinner version of Godzilla

Velociraptor feathered on is much better than imagined and I know that is a repitition of this.

I also like the new tyrannosaurus rex painted versions and the new version of velociraptor.

This year will undoubtedly be the year of the theropods. A little boring in a way, I prefer variety of species of dinosaurs as ornitópodos. I guess because theropods were more obviously sold.

For me the two best figures of the group are the velociraptor and Kaprosuchus.

yankeetrex

Looks to me like the Baryonyx is reacting to something.....maybe perhaps a large prehistoric Croc?

Rathalosaurus

YUSS!! Finally..  These are awesome!! Only the raptor is lame.
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Patrx

Quote from: Rathalosaurus on December 11, 2015, 03:32:33 PM
YUSS!! Finally..  These are awesome!! Only the raptor is lame.

Not a fan of green, eh?  ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: