News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Appalachiosaurus

Absolutely amazing, definitely my favorite new sculpts for 2016. The Velociraptor met and surpassed my expectations, the Kaprosuchus looks so natural, and the Baryonyx looks like a bear (which is a good thing!  :)) ).

Takama

I must say, the Running Rex looks Beautiful in those Colors.

I think the Bary is so bad its Good.   Just like the CollectA Deluxe Brachiosaurus or Schelich Thrizinosaurus.

stargatedalek

I was expecting the Velociraptor to be on par with their Archaeopteryx (and by extension the Favorite Velociraptor and Deinonychus), so it's a very pleasant surprise to see such a beautiful figure. The colouring reminds of the Papo Archaeopteryx but it's definitely a huge step up accuracy wise. The face and fingers could do with some feathers (and the neck with a little plumping up, but that can be attributed to pose and the fluency of feathers in movement), but overall this is one of only three mass market Dromaeosaur figures to have accurate wings, the others being the Carnegie Microraptor and aforementioned Kaiyodo Kitadaniryu. The tail looks a little short but that could be the angle, similarly the head seems oddly shaped but that could be the angle combined with the baldness.

I'm very pleased with the Kaprosuchus. The Safari Kaprosuchus is amazing so that says something when I'll be putting it off to get this one first. The pose is far from neutral, but it's no more extravagant than Papo's Nile Crocodile. The colours feel very natural, very alligator like.

Baryonyx may be a bit on the heavy side and it may have a pelican jaw but I don't see any outright inaccuracies with it. I see lots of speculation, but no objective errors. It's all soft tissue anyway, I don't see any reason it couldn't have had a thickened lower jaw (perhaps expending to suck in fish) or lots of extravagant wattles and spines. The feet seem fine to me, compare them to it's head or hands and then do the same for the skeletal below.

The dentition however could certainly be incorrect, I can't find a skeletal with the jaw closed to compare the under-bite.

Patrx

Aha! I'd forgotten about the Carnegie Microraptor, good point :)

Mauro "Raptor86"

Why do you say that the raptor has accurate wings?
Following this picture (http://sagekorppi.deviantart.com/art/Feathered-Dino-Arm-Wing-PSA-332927941) shouldn't the fathers be attached to the second finger? In the PAPO figure they start from the wrist and LAY ON the second finger

Simon

The Velociraptor and Kaprosuchus are gorgeous, and the color scheme on the running TRex is a big improvement.  One can almost overlook the inaccuracies of that sculpt now.

The "Baryonyx" is hilarious in a gruesome kind of way.  It looks like an over-the-top Godzilla movie monster, its much too hideous and inaccurate to be confused with a real spinosaurid, as a sculpt it reminds me of one of MacFarland's grizzled dragons.

Its an "A+" as an artistic piece.  This I guess is Papo's answer to REBOR - they are out-reboring REBOR with these releases.  Something for everyone.

pylraster

The feathered velociraptor is certainly one of Papo's best. It's not perfect, but you can tell they did a fair amount of research. I find it interesting they didn't discontinue the old raptor and rehashed it with a color scheme similar to Charlie or Echo(?)... It just shows that Papo can do serious attempts at reconstruction if they wanted to. And they can still make figures that appeal to the movie-monster crowd.

Now uh... maybe Papo should consider making a feathered T.rex. Maybe a little too soon, but I wouldn't mind it.

Not sure, but perhaps the reason why this Baryonyx looks too wide, is the angle of the picture. It looks like it has a high back... not quite a sail but there appears to be a hump of sorts.

suspsy

It's NEVER too soon for a feathered T. rex.

My wife just pointed out that the Baryonyx looks like it's dancing. Now that's all I can think of when I look at it.

"Every day I'm shufflin'!"
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Patrx

Quote from: Mauro "Raptor86" on December 11, 2015, 04:17:45 PM
Why do you say that the raptor has accurate wings?
Following this picture (http://sagekorppi.deviantart.com/art/Feathered-Dino-Arm-Wing-PSA-332927941) shouldn't the fathers be attached to the second finger? In the PAPO figure they start from the wrist and LAY ON the second finger

Assuming the digit itself begins where that joint is, (where the hand radiates from the wrist) there are some vanes attached there. I see what you mean, though.

Viking Spawn

Umm... WOW! 

Thank you POP OF FAN for breaking the news!  It was a long anticipated wait!!!

Velociraptor Repaint:  I'm cool with it!  Like someone else has said - Raptor squad!!!  LOL

Running T-Rex repaint:  Its my favorite sculpt by Papo!  As far as I'm concerned, they can make as many repaints as they want of this mold and I will still buy them!   Now my sitting/standing rainbow Rex will have a companion!

Feathered Velociraptor:  Bravo Papo!  Nicely done!  I knew you could do it!  Be very curious if they ever decide to tackle a feathered T-Rex and see how awesome that would be?!

Kaprosuchus:  Not much to stay here.  They have a history of doing good looking crocs!

And lastly, Baryonyx:  Not what I was expecting but a still must buy!  The body is beefy which is cool. Reminds me of the sitting T-Rex with the pose.  I know they did it for balancing and posing but I would have preferred a more walking/running stance.  But it does look its rearing up to face an opponent!  An excuse to buy a second one to create a scene of two subjects fighting over a carcass!

Overall, great work Papo!  2016 is going to be a excellent year!  :)

MLMjp

Ok
I have taken a second look at the "Baryonyx" and well, Is still a monster looking thing from the godzilla universe.
The posture is plausible, but doesn' t help to change the kaiju look. A more neutral pose would have bern better
The main problem is the skull, it doesnt look like a Baryonyx skull

But more like Spinosaurus with a huge lower jaw

Also, did not they say that the baryonyx will have more brigh colors, i just see brown and orange...

Overall, the final product might look a bit better or maybe not, but I was soo hyped for this figure an it did not turn out well.
How on earth they messed up with the skull,  just google baryonyx, the majority of results are accurate, so how, it was so easy to do it right....

CityRaptor

I don't think they were aiming for an overly accurate Baryonyx.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Centrosaur86

I would like to ask Papo to re-create the baryonyx. its look like a monster. Only children maybe like this. We want models of Papo that look realistic!  ;)

PaleoMatt

Quote from: POP of FAN on December 11, 2015, 02:48:53 AM
Finally! Uploaded.

Now, Papo Korea so proudly presents....Voila~

[images snipped for brevity]
Send me the catalogue link please :)

Mod edit: please avoid quoting multiple images at once - thanks!

Viking Spawn

I repeat myself from the other thread:

Umm... WOW! 

Thank you POP OF FAN for breaking the news in the other thread!  It was a long anticipated wait!!!

Velociraptor Repaint:  I'm cool with it!  Like someone else has said - Raptor squad!!!  LOL

Running T-Rex repaint:  Its my favorite sculpt by Papo!  As far as I'm concerned, they can make as many repaints as they want of this mold and I will still buy them!   Now my sitting/standing rainbow Rex will have a companion!

Feathered Velociraptor:  Bravo Papo!  Nicely done!  I knew you could do it!  Be very curious if they ever decide to tackle a feathered T-Rex and see how awesome that would be?!

Kaprosuchus:  Not much to stay here.  They have a history of doing good looking crocs!

And lastly, Baryonyx:  Not what I was expecting but a still must buy!  The body is beefy which is cool. Reminds me of the sitting T-Rex with the pose.  I know they did it for balancing and posing but I would have preferred a more walking/running stance.  But it does look its rearing up to face an opponent!  An excuse to buy a second one to create a scene of two subjects fighting over a carcass!

Overall, great work Papo!  2016 is going to be a excellent year!  :)

teddybier

At long last :) And I do like them all, although the Bary has a quite unexpected design. Does anyone have a clue about the size of that thing?

I did not expect the two repaints, but the rex looks great. So we might expect a purple-striped baby rex in the near future?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on December 11, 2015, 11:50:19 AM
I'm excessively fond of that Baryonyx. Now if only we could get an Iguanodon so they could do battle...like a Baryonyx vs Iguanodon pair (not bending the tail too much, only to the side or something), like this one posted I used to have...

Wasn't an Iguanodon listed as coming next year? I seem to recall a mention of one from that interview with the sculptor but maybe I'm nuts. lol

Quote from: Dobber on December 11, 2015, 11:59:55 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 11, 2015, 08:28:48 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on December 11, 2015, 06:40:42 AM
The Velociraptor is surprisingly good. I'd like to see a good close-up of the head, might be a better match for some deeper-muzzled dromaeosaur. The Kaprosuchus looks great, too--it's right up Papo's alley. The Baryonyx...I'm getting used to. I really like the head, at least.

Wow, strong showing from Papo this year ( why do I feel like a sports announcer?).

I agree, the dromeosaur is very accurate in appearance..it's just not Velociraptor...lol Maybe more like Deinonychus?

Papo always does excellent crocodilians, this Kapro of course will be a knockout.

Now the Baryonyx..I personally am ok with it.  The head is clearly a Spinosaur..not 100% sure how close it is to the actual fossil but it looks good. I'm a bit fond of the spikey look for spinosaurs.

That's what I was thinking about the "Velociraptor" doesn't really look like one, but more like a Deinonychus. I guess that makes sense since the JP Raptors are based on Deinonychus  and Papo bases a lot of their designs of of JP. The tail looks a little short too, but that may just be due to the angle of the picture.

Chris

Yeah it doesn't work well for a proper Velociraptor, neck is way too short, skull is wrong, ect..like you said it's probably due to the JP influence a bit, but I'm okay with a nicely feathered Deinonychus too.  Tail length..maybe. I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to minor length issues, individual variation and all.

Patrx

Skull-wise, might it make an acceptable Dromaeosaurus?

DinoLord

Looks like a great 2016 line-up. I'm extremely impressed by the raptor's feathering - from what I can see it's very close to being perfectly accurate. I would need the actual figure in hand to make a more definite assessment as to that regard. The Kaprosuchus looks quite accurate as well, though the color scheme makes it look rather similar to extant crocodilians. The Baryonyx has some really great details, though the pose does look rather odd. Hopefully it looks better from other angles. I remember feeling this way about the Apatosaurus when it was revealed last year, and I ended up really liking that one.

DinoLord

Quote from: Patrx on December 11, 2015, 06:05:18 PM
Skull-wise, might it make an acceptable Dromaeosaurus?

It's not quite as deep as a true Dromaeosaurus skull.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: