News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 16, 2015, 06:23:41 PM
Quote from: Patrx on December 16, 2015, 03:30:12 PM
Alas, in any pose, the skull shape's still wrong.

I don't know much about spinosaurid anatomy, would you expand on that? It looks like it has an underbite, but I could be convinced that that's foreshortening because of the angle. Should the lower jaw flare more laterally at the tip? Or is the mandible implausibly heavy? Legitimately curious.
The under bite is the only serious issue with it. As much as I'd like to lame the angle, the close up of the head seems to show it more clearly.

Patrx

Yep, mainly I think it's that big honking underbite that throws it off. The sort of "flange" in the dentary corresponds with the notch formed by the premaxilla; on the figure they don't seem to line up. Also, the whole snout and jaw seem to curve down too much, based on the material we have, it seems to have been a pretty straight shape, more like Suchomimus' skull.

I'd certainly be curious to see how the model's mouth looks when closed.

Quote from: suchomimus on December 16, 2015, 06:31:24 PM
On the other hand, just from this angle, what's there not to like about the feathered raptor, accuracy-wise? It looks pretty...convincing to my untrained eye.

Evidence appears to suggest that the digits of the hand would have been fuzzy, like the toes of some owls. Also, the face and snout on the new model appear to lack filaments entirely. I can't really judge the snout shape from the angle we have, but it might be a little off as well.

This article gives a good summation of what a modern Velociraptor toy should look like.  :)

stargatedalek

I think some of the downward curve can be attributed to the large soft tissue pouch on the lower jaw, and if so it really is a quite convincing illusion. The upper jaw doesn't display this curve, I'm assuming the jaws can close which would indicate the slope of the lower jaw is our seeing the pouch and having trouble detecting where the jawline is.

Patrx

That may be, indeed! I've been squinting at the photo trying to assess the implied bone structure, hah. In either case, major kudos to Papo's sculptor for including all that neat speculative soft-tissue anatomy!

John

Quote from: Patrx on December 16, 2015, 07:18:09 PM

On the other hand, just from this angle, what's there not to like about the feathered raptor, accuracy-wise? It looks pretty...convincing to my untrained eye.

Evidence appears to suggest that the digits of the hand would have been fuzzy, like the toes of some owls. Also, the face and snout on the new model appear to lack filaments entirely. I can't really judge the snout shape from the angle we have, but it might be a little off as well.

This article gives a good summation of what a modern Velociraptor toy should look like.  :)
The large wings of the recently named Zhenyuanlong suni back up Matthew P. Martyniuk's ideas of what the wings of Velociraptor mongoliensis should be like. :)

Given the philosophy that the heads of Papo have (what people expect dinosaurs to look like based on what they see in movies and TV shows overrides any attempt at accuracy),it comes as no surprise to me that the new dinosaurs didn't come out right...which is unfortunate as the sculptor's talents are wasted here.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

oscars_dinos

Quote from: darylj on December 16, 2015, 09:05:22 AM
who in their right mind doesnt want to own this...

...I can not lie... for as much as I don't like the barry this picture makes it look a lot better and also gives me a bit of hope that the figure won't look so bad in hand 

darylj

Absolutely - i little bit of remodeling and a theres a wonderful figure there.

tyrantqueen

All this talk of remodelling has made me wonder if anyone has taken a knife to the CollectA deluxe Spino and modded it so it resembles the Hartman reconstruction...

stargatedalek

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 17, 2015, 10:13:16 AM
All this talk of remodelling has made me wonder if anyone has taken a knife to the CollectA deluxe Spino and modded it so it resembles the Hartman reconstruction...
I'd rather see one made to look like a real Spinosaurus than the Hartman one honestly.

Dobber

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 16, 2015, 07:49:24 PM
I think some of the downward curve can be attributed to the large soft tissue pouch on the lower jaw, and if so it really is a quite convincing illusion. The upper jaw doesn't display this curve, I'm assuming the jaws can close which would indicate the slope of the lower jaw is our seeing the pouch and having trouble detecting where the jawline is.

I don't know, the jaw line looks very sharp to me, thus making the rear of the lower jaw look WAY to thick/oversized. Not seein a pouch, personally.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

tyrantqueen

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 17, 2015, 01:58:31 PM
I'd rather see one made to look like a real Spinosaurus than the Hartman one honestly.
When I said Hartman, I meant this one (Hartman didn't draw it but he was the one who proposed the posture iirc):

http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/theres-something-fishy-about-spinosaurus9112014

What's unreal about it?

suchomimus

Quote from: Patrx on December 16, 2015, 07:18:09 PM

Thanks Patrx, that was some pretty insightful article! I'm sure we'll see those interesting developments on the raptors some day, ohhh some day ;D

Quote from: John on December 16, 2015, 08:10:29 PM
Given the philosophy that the heads of Papo have (what people expect dinosaurs to look like based on what they see in movies and TV shows overrides any attempt at accuracy), it comes as no surprise to me that the new dinosaurs didn't come out right...which is unfortunate as the sculptor's talents are wasted here.

Meh, I guess it's their way of helping us create a detailed line of raptors to depict its every step of evolution in society's perception. "Raptor-lution in Man's eyes" I'd call it. Hah!

stargatedalek

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 17, 2015, 03:12:59 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on December 17, 2015, 01:58:31 PM
When I said Hartman, I meant this one (Hartman didn't draw it but he was the one who proposed the posture iirc):
*snip*

http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/theres-something-fishy-about-spinosaurus9112014

What's unreal about it?
Simone Maganuco who co-authored the paper responded to several people who had gotten different proportions using the method Hartman proposed and thoroughly explained that it was in-error on the part of both parties. Hartman incorrectly interpreted the data and Ibrahim et al insufficiently documented their materials. To quote Mark Witton on this debacle "These risks were identified in Scott's original posts, and it seems they have been borne out. Nevertheless, it is interesting that Scott and I - and others, according to some Facebook chat - found such similar results: this could be coincidence, or it might be that the published reconstruction lends itself to a erroneous interpretation.". Mark Witton was generous enough to post their reply on his blog: http://markwitton-com.blogspot.ca/2014/09/the-spinosaurus-hindlimb-controversy.html
It is my understanding that Hartman has refused to acknowledge the response and has refused to comment further on the topic of Spinosaurus limb proportions.

Another point to note is the recent paper proposing the validity of Sigilmassasaurus, which could well place the neotype outside of Spinosaurus aegyptiacus (as to whether Sigilmassasaurus is different enough to be a valid genus or perhaps a species of Spinosaurus is another ongoing topic entirely). If this is the case than it means we no longer have any applicable leg materials for Spinosaurus aegyptiacus. Alas the conservative assumption would still remain to base them on the closest relative (which would still be the current neotype) so barring a speculative reconstruction it makes little difference.

Andreioli

Hello.

If anyone is interested in a rough simulation of the mouth of the Baryonyx being closed, I played a bit with the catalogue photo.
Result here:

I also modified it's pose a bit, just for fun.

I like the Bary, I think it's a great sculpt, inacuracies aside.
Hope the paint app is going to be a close to the promotional picture as possible.

pylraster

I may have missed if anyone has discussed this Baryonyx figure's size. Maybe it will be same length as their Allosaurus?

Rain

Quote from: pylraster on December 17, 2015, 08:16:32 PM
I may have missed if anyone has discussed this Baryonyx figure's size. Maybe it will be same length as their Allosaurus?

I think Pop of Fan mentioned it being the size of the Spino a couple of pages back

MLMjp

Quote from: pylraster on December 17, 2015, 08:16:32 PM

If I recall correctly, the sculptor only said that it was going to be close to the size of the T.rex, but if you take into account the pose this guy is in it could perfectly be taller than the T.rex, so that´s why is close to that size. Length-wise it might be closer to the allosaurus as you said.

Dinomike

Quote from: Andreioli on December 17, 2015, 06:54:01 PM
Hello.

If anyone is interested in a rough simulation of the mouth of the Baryonyx being closed, I played a bit with the catalogue photo.
Result here:
---
I also modified it's pose a bit, just for fun.

I like the Bary, I think it's a great sculpt, inacuracies aside.
Hope the paint app is going to be a close to the promotional picture as possible.

Thanks for the modified pic! I think it looks really cool! Definitely going to get it!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

pylraster

Cool. I kept seeing baryonyx at 9 meters, though some say that was a subadult. Or I could be confusing it with suchomimus :P

oscars_dinos

Quote from: pylraster on December 17, 2015, 10:42:49 PM
Cool. I kept seeing baryonyx at 9 meters, though some say that was a subadult. Or I could be confusing it with suchomimus :P

I just realized how much of the attention baryonyx is stealing from the other figures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: