News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowknight1

I do wonder.  Why does the feathered raptor seem to have some kind of crest in the middle of its head?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Wow, a toy company actually managed to properly attach the wing feathers to a dromaeosaur! If I wasn't so blown away I'd comment on how short the wing feathers are, but hey, who cares when they've actually followed what we know from anatomy!

Sim

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 13, 2015, 04:52:27 AM
The bizarre pose is a nice nod to Baryonyx's facultative quadrupedal status, as if the animal is having a bit of difficulty maintaining that bipedal stance. Props to Papo for doing their research

Enough of Baryonyx's skeleton, including its arms and legs, is known to know it's a bipedal animal.  If it got down to all fours, it wouldn't really be going anywhere.  All of this is true for Suchomimus as well.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on December 19, 2015, 12:55:41 AM
I do wonder.  Why does the feathered raptor seem to have some kind of crest in the middle of its head?

I don't think its in the middle I think its just the angle of the head. I think what were getting with this figure is gonna be like what we got with the crest of the raptors in jp3

Tyto_Theropod

Late to the party, and I'm pretty sure my opinions are repeats of everyone else's, but for the record, here they are anyway.

I really like the feathered raptor, which was a pleasant surprise given how much a rolled my eyes at their snakey Archaeopteryx. It's always good to see another prehistoric Maniraptoran with accurate wings! That being said, I think they're a bit long in proportion to the body, but that could just be me. I also wish they could have put more feathers on the head and face, and I don't think they've quite managed to pull off the birdlike look as well as Favourite and Carnegie did, in spite of the inaccurate wings on those models. Anyway, I'll probably pick up this toy at some stage, but I'm thinking that unless I like it better in person I might do some custom work on the head. The crests over the eyes just seem off. As to the shape of the head and which genus it matches best, I'd have to wait for more pictures and/or until I saw it in person to judge that.

While I'm no expert on prehistoric crocodilians, the Kaprosuchus really blew me over. I can only hope the actual model doesn't disappoint. Anyway, I'll probably buy this one as well (again, at some stage... :P)

The repaints are meh. I can see why people are liking all the rainbow variants and I like the colours, but I'm still not a huge fan of the sculpts. I'm just not as much of a fan of the Papo rex 'family' as I used to be, speaking as someone who is increasingly inclined towards more accurate models.

I'm afraid to say that the controversial Baryonyx was a huge disappointment for me. My first impression was that it was irredeemably ugly. It's not the Tood Marhsall style or the tripod pose I have a problem with (the old 'animals move' rule comes into play here). I agree that it looks more like a movie monster than a real animal, but I guess it's okay as Spinosaurid. It just doesn't bear a close enough resemblance to the particular Spinosaurid it's supposed to be, IMHO.
And yes, it is fat. I have to say that while I dislike shrink wrapping, to me there's a big difference between a convincingly fleshed-out dinosaur and an obese one. That being said, there are animals like seals and penguins that are just naturally chubby due to layers of blubber and similar adaptations, and who am I to say that Baryonyx couldn't have had something similar? Overall, though, I'm definitely with the people who are comparing the figure to Godzilla.

Anyway, those are just my opinions based on the images, and I might change my mind based members' photographs of actual models, or seeing them in person if I'm lucky enough to find any of them in local shops.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Viking Spawn

The Rainbow running Rex will be out is just a few weeks?!  Did I read that right?!   Sweet if so!!!

PaleoMatt

Once again I'll ask, does anyone have the link to the catalogue?

RobinGoodfellow

Papo has an official website.
On the website there is the 2015 Catalogue ( http://www.papo-france.com/catalogue/2015/index.html ).
Not 2016.
So I'm thinking that  Papo 2016 Catalogue doesn't came out yet.....

Arul

Quote from: Viking Spawn on December 20, 2015, 04:25:46 AM
The Rainbow running Rex will be out is just a few weeks?!  Did I read that right?!   Sweet if so!!!

Wow thats fast how about the rest of them ?

Sim

Quote from: Arul on December 20, 2015, 04:33:43 PM
Quote from: Viking Spawn on December 20, 2015, 04:25:46 AM

Wow thats fast how about the rest of them ?

Everything Dinosaur has included rough release dates for all these new Papo figures with their images on the ED Facebook page.

Viking Spawn

Dilopho

Cool! I got some money off my relatives to get them. I got £25....but it's all in pennies! AAARRRRGHH!
(For any americans, that's like getting $25 in all cents)

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Dilopho on December 20, 2015, 10:19:32 PM
Cool! I got some money off my relatives to get them. I got £25....but it's all in pennies! AAARRRRGHH!

Actually that would be like an American getting $37 in cents.

Halichoeres

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 21, 2015, 09:44:35 AM
Quote from: Dilopho on December 20, 2015, 10:19:32 PM

Actually that would be like an American getting $37 in cents.

That would be pretty inconvenient. Lots of places can legally refuse to accept pennies as payment now.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

terrorchicken

timchadwick12

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 23, 2015, 02:32:15 PM
Quote from: timchadwick12 on November 23, 2015, 11:40:34 AM
If I'm correct, aren't sauropods known to have had a single claw on each forefoot and three of them on each hind foot?  :-\
Most sauropods had a single claw (the thumb) on the forefoot, but titanosaurs seem to have lacked them altogether.
Thanks  ^-^

Shonisaurus

Quote from: TE Matt on December 20, 2015, 08:53:48 AM
Once again I'll ask, does anyone have the link to the catalogue?

TE Matt I have two links catalog Papo 2016 is as follows:

http://www.papo-france.com/catalogue/2016/index.html#p=144

http://www.papo-france.com/catalogue/2016/catalogue.pdf

By the way have not been repainted cited the news from 2016 Papo dinosaurs already on the market in parts of Europe. On page 127 is detailed all the information.

I hope this helps.

SpartanSquat

Looks like green running t-rex wont be retired yet. But why the same mold with different colours?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: