News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvanusaurus

My expertise on the subject doesn't extend very far beyond a google search and a superficial knowledge of photoshop, but I've been having a lot of difficulty 'seeing' why the Baryonyx's head is supposedly so incorrect, leading to the suggestion that it is a Spinosaurus' head instead. So, taking the following baryonyx skull I did a very quick experiment to test it out, layering the skull over a recent image of Papo's baryonyx. When taking into account the likely variations in exact skull shape and proportion within a specific species (due to age etc.), (and the difference in the angle in the photo I used), and the fact that this is a Papo figure ( and thus prone to some exaggeration, I mean look at their running t-rex's head as a comparison!), I think this works perfectly well as a Baryonyx head. Say what you will about the pose, body proportions, texturing etc, but I don't think its fair to criticise or question the Baryonyx-ness of the head (and with the underbite and big chin, this could just be one very ugly Baryonyx specimen).

Rathalosaurus

Thank you for clarifying. And that explanation with the Ugly Specimen is very, very good!!!
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Sim

The Papo Baryonyx's head is enough for me not to want it.  For starters, spinosaurids have overbites, not underbites.  That's how their uniquely shaped jaws fit together.  A Baryonyx showing this:

The other thing I find really disappointing is the front of the Papo Baryonyx's upper jaw doesn't look like what is known for Baryonyx.  Consequently, it loses the appearance I find makes Baryonyx instantly recognisable.  That part of the snout is known from the first Baryonyx specimen too, so it's really a shame it's elongated in the Papo figure.  It actually does look like the snout of Spinosaurus, as others have noticed.  This is unfortunate because spinosaurid snouts are distinctive, but also because Baryonyx's snout is built to be more resistant to bending than Spinosaurus's is: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3665537/

I give prehistoric animal figures some wiggle room, but the Papo Baryonyx's snout looks too different to what is known for Baryonyx, for me.  Baryonyx is one of my favourite dinosaurs, and I've been really wanting a good figure of it.  I was expecting to be disappointed by Papo's, but I'm still disappointed.

Upper jaw of the first Baryonyx specimen:

Papo Baryonyx:
[deleted defunct image]

Spinosaurus upper jaw:

empire3569

Since the figure is larger than baryonyx (as far as papo scale goes) and there are some discrepancies about the head and jaw, would it pass for a suchomimus? I too am not very knowledgeable in spinosaur anatomy

stargatedalek

My only problem with it is the under-bite. The other discrepancies with the skull are very minor and easily overlooked. I like that it's a well fleshed out animal, people keep saying it's fat but I think that's just that spinosaurs are so rarely shown with a believable amount of bulk. Maybe deep down I'm just glad it wasn't yet another glorified bipedal crocodile like their Spinosaurus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: empire3569 on February 02, 2016, 03:29:10 PM
Since the figure is larger than baryonyx (as far as papo scale goes) and there are some discrepancies about the head and jaw, would it pass for a suchomimus? I too am not very knowledgeable in spinosaur anatomy

Eh..in a word..no.  Suchomimus is closer to Baryonyx but still plenty different enough to recognize in regards to the skull.

I didn't mean to nit pick, but building this Spinosaurus for the Park here I've been training my eyes on the material.  I could chalk the underbite up to individual variation and it adds some character. But  the skull just isn't Baryonyx enough.  I'm half tempted to call it a Sigilmassasaurus.

terrorchicken

man & I thought I was picky! honestly the tubby body shape bothers me a lot more that the head. The head looks fine to me...Im sure its inaccurate but its not like its the Wild Republic Bary, lol!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Sim on February 02, 2016, 01:46:53 PM
The Papo Baryonyx's head is enough for me not to want it.  For starters, spinosaurids have overbites, not underbites.  That's how their uniquely shaped jaws fit together.  A Baryonyx showing this:

The other thing I find really disappointing is the front of the Papo Baryonyx's upper jaw doesn't look like what is known for Baryonyx.  Consequently, it loses the appearance I find makes Baryonyx instantly recognisable.  That part of the snout is known from the first Baryonyx specimen too, so it's really a shame it's elongated in the Papo figure.  It actually does look like the snout of Spinosaurus, as others have noticed.  This is unfortunate because spinosaurid snouts are distinctive, but also because Baryonyx's snout is built to be more resistant to bending than Spinosaurus's is: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3665537/

I give prehistoric animal figures some wiggle room, but the Papo Baryonyx's snout looks too different to what is known for Baryonyx, for me.  Baryonyx is one of my favourite dinosaurs, and I've been really wanting a good figure of it.  I was expecting to be disappointed by Papo's, but I'm still disappointed.

Upper jaw of the first Baryonyx specimen:

Papo Baryonyx:

Spinosaurus upper jaw:

Thanks for the information. Absolutely gorgeous picture of the Papo Baryonyx. A must have for any serious collector!!

tanystropheus

Quote from: terrorchicken on February 02, 2016, 06:05:47 PM
man & I thought I was picky! honestly the tubby body shape bothers me a lot more that the head. The head looks fine to me...Im sure its inaccurate but its not like its the Wild Republic Bary, lol!

Lol. Pickiness is a state of consciousness, I surmise. I'm not really seeing much of an underbite. It could easily be explained by individual variations within populations. Plus, the dewlap gives a more pronounced illusive effect of an underbite. If CollectA made the same exact figure, folks would be drooling. The model is the best hands-down representation of Baryonx and will probably stay that way for a few decades...unless Re..

Kovu

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 03, 2016, 12:22:53 AM
I'm not really seeing much of an underbite.

I have to agree - I don't see an underbite when the mouth is closed. If anything, it seems pretty flush. Its definitely not an overbite like the fossil material shows, however, individual variations do exist. Or maybe this particular Baryonyx just ended up on the receiving end of an Iguanodon tail?
Use that imagination!  ;)

Within reason of course. The papo raptors, the running rex head and the Spinosaurus are so different from any of the skeletal evidence that variation isn't a plausible excuse.

Just my two cents...

Quote from: kreativtek on January 25, 2016, 06:21:16 PM

sauroid

and i dont think the Baryonix is fat at all, based on the newly released pics. no underbite, no tubbiness. i dont know what people are seeing.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

AcroSauroTaurus

Lets just say its the supposed adult of the Australian juvenile Spinosaurid and leave it at that...  :))
I am the Dinosaur King!

Viking Spawn

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 03, 2016, 12:22:53 AM
Quote from: terrorchicken on February 02, 2016, 06:05:47 PM

Lol. Pickiness is a state of consciousness, I surmise. I'm not really seeing much of an underbite. It could easily be explained by individual variations within populations. Plus, the dewlap gives a more pronounced illusive effect of an underbite. If CollectA made the same exact figure, folks would be drooling. The model is the best hands-down representation of Baryonx and will probably stay that way for a few decades...unless Re..

Hehehe.... I see where you are going....  8)

Shadowknight1

Hm.  I know Everything Dinosaur doesn't always frequent around here, but is there any way that we could get a comparison of the feathered raptor and the normal one?  Your blog says that it's comparable in size, but if my measurements of the picture are correct...

THIS is actual size...which is somewhat disappointing.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

terrorchicken

Quote from: sauroid on February 03, 2016, 02:13:47 AM
and i dont think the Baryonix is fat at all, based on the newly released pics. no underbite, no tubbiness. i dont know what people are seeing.
it looks pudgy to me in some angles in the pics, though not as bad as it did in the catalog. But I dont know, maybe its just the pose exaggerating the belly...

Shonisaurus

I have been to a conference in my Museum of Natural Sciences and a scientific advisor from a recognized university UNED whose name I keep anonymous for respect and who is the creator of dinosaurs in tablets by a professor of paleontology and member of the Royal Academy of Science in my nation that has contributed to the project, said dinosaurs Papo but are very detailed unfortunately his reconstructions as already noted in the forum are not scientific and that they can be considered most of the figures as film .

This is the clarification he has done and I wanted to convey, without wishing to oust the prestige of the company Papo, which am a collector, but I think it necessary to comment without necessarily those opinions are vinculates with mine. I do not stop being a mere collector of dinosaurs.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 03, 2016, 08:51:54 PM
I have been to a conference in my Museum of Natural Sciences and a scientific advisor from a recognized university UNED whose name I keep anonymous for respect and who is the creator of dinosaurs in tablets by a professor of paleontology and member of the Royal Academy of Science in my nation that has contributed to the project, said dinosaurs Papo but are very detailed unfortunately his reconstructions as already noted in the forum are not scientific and that they can be considered most of the figures as film .

This is the clarification he has done and I wanted to convey, without wishing to oust the prestige of the company Papo, which am a collector, but I think it necessary to comment without necessarily those opinions are vinculates with mine. I do not stop being a mere collector of dinosaurs.

Most of us already agree with that assessment.

empire3569

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 03, 2016, 09:06:46 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 03, 2016, 08:51:54 PM

Most of us already agree with that assessment.

Agreed. The main reason I collect Papo is because of their similarity to JP

oscars_dinos

http://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/papo_feathered_velociraptor_close.jpg

We all know the bary is a tad.... unscientifically accurate... But how accurate is the new raptors head??? I'm not to sure about the crest.

Patrx

Quote from: imnewhere on February 03, 2016, 11:25:21 PM
We all know the bary is a tad.... unscientifically accurate... But how accurate is the new raptors head??? I'm not to sure about the crest.

"Scaly", badly shrinkwrapped, and the teeth look very long. I'd have to see it in profile to assess the overall shape properly, though,

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: