News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - new for 2016

Started by tyrantqueen, October 10, 2015, 07:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Looks more like the Dino Crisis one. Looking like the Ark one is not a good thing either, given how messed up that game is.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

leidy

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 19, 2016, 12:26:50 AM
Stegosaurus is essentially a retool of their Kentrosaurus, so it's nice. Hopefully it'll be available as a standalone piece at some point.

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 19, 2016, 02:31:23 AM
Seems like they just modified the Kentrosaurus sculpt, pose and size of the figure look exactly the same.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 19, 2016, 03:50:20 PM

The stegosaurus is a carbon copy of kentrosaurus. The Schleich are lazy. Moreover blue tyrannosaurus is in my view quite tacky.

well they might as well have just retooled the older figure for all people bothered to look.

It's an original sculpt head to tail.  Different leg positions, different body twist, different texturing.  The only thing they have in common is the high tail swing, and quite likely the same artist. 

CityRaptor

Keep in mind that originally we only had a stock pic of it. And those are sometimes mirrored, making it look like a retool.

The color seems to be partially inspired by their old Junior Stegosaurus, which is inspired by the old Carnegie Stego.

Oh no

Jetoar

I think the color of the new Stego are similar to WWD version.

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

leidy

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 29, 2016, 10:20:55 PM
Keep in mind that originally we only had a stock pic of it. And those are sometimes mirrored, making it look like a retool.

The color seems to be partially inspired by their old Junior Stegosaurus, which is inspired by the old Carnegie Stego.

Actually I missed that stock pic.  It does look a lot like a mirrored Kentrosaurus.  If that's how it started, the end result is so reworked they might as well have started from scratch.

Meso-Cenozoic

I didn't see this pic in older posts. (But if I missed it, sorry for the repeat!) This is from the 2016 Toy Fair. It's a good size comparison shot, I think. From the first time we saw a pic of the new Stego, I really liked it and was hoping for it to be sold separately. But after seeing it and the Kentro together in this pic, the new Stego is sooo small! The Kentro isn't that big itself, but it looks that much bigger even for being set back a ways from the Stego.  For that matter, that new Barapasaurus looks rather small as well. I didn't realize the figures in the sets were that much smaller than their standard sized figures.

Rain

I don't think that's actually a figure. (The Kentro) It just looks like a blown up picture to me :o

sauroid

Quote from: Rain on March 01, 2016, 11:26:49 AM
I don't think that's actually a figure. (The Kentro) It just looks like a blown up picture to me :o
i agree because in real life, that ugly Carnotaurus is bigger than the Kentrosaurus figure.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

CityRaptor

Definately just a blown up pic. I mean you can even see the actual cave set in front of the pic of the cave set.

Whoever designed the Volcano clearly does not know how those things work.
Oh no

Shonisaurus

The Schleich Herrerasaurus is huge, considering that this dinosaur was tiny, it should be a 1: 6 scale at least.

teddybier

With the Papo Bary I orded last week came the new Schleich catalogue, so hereby the dinosaur pages:

Yup, only two pages.

CityRaptor

It should be pointed out that this is only a catalogue for the first half of the year and that it mentions that more products can be found on www.Schleich-s.com
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 01, 2016, 05:26:29 PM
It should be pointed out that this is only a catalogue for the first half of the year and that it mentions that more products can be found on www.Schleich-s.com

It's an odd site--I can't seem to find the Dunkleosteus on it.

And yes, they've taken to producing 6-month flyers instead of full year. Maybe it gives more freedom in case of errors or delays? It's not uncommon for their fall series to get delayed. Plus, it is possible that they can react and add to popular lines mid-way through the year.

And, of course, it creates anticipation twice a year instead of once. I may not like the company, but they know how to market.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: sauroid on March 01, 2016, 11:49:54 AM
Quote from: Rain on March 01, 2016, 11:26:49 AM
i agree because in real life, that ugly Carnotaurus is bigger than the Kentrosaurus figure.

Yeah, I think you guys are right. Now that I look at it again, it does look like a pic in the background. Good! Now I still want them to release the Stego separately! ;)

Derek.McManus

I saw the new Dimetrodon and Dilphosaurs in my local toy shop yesterday, quite liked the former not keen on the latter but bear in mind I collect with my kids so this style of figure suits our needs.

Digibasherx

Looks like they remolded the Dimetrodon, looks a lot better than the stock photos, but seeing the Papo Dimetrodon, there's no comparison.

CityRaptor

As has been said by others members in the past, I would not give much about what Jurassic Collectibles says. That guy has no idea what he is talking about and gets his stuff forf free.  He is like one of those fake Amazon reviews. It's still poor man's Papo Dimetrodon.
Oh no

sauroid

he'd praise and hype anything on his youtube "reviews", as long as the companies keep sending him free stuff.

no matter how hard Schleich tried to ape Papo's Dimetrodon, those rounded teeth are just so in poor taste (Anhanguera also suffered from that stupid blunted teeth syndrome). i know they have to make their figures safe for kids, but how come the other brands were able to make their figures' teeth look acceptable/believable without being too sharp or "dangerous"?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Sim

Quote from: Charlie P. on March 02, 2016, 02:38:33 AM
This is like the Papo Pachyrhinosaurus and Styracosaurus situation, very similar sculpt, almost the same to a casual eye.

The sculptor confirmed he recycled the Papo Pachyrhinosaurus body for the Papo Styracosaurus: http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/post/92530/thread

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Charlie P. on March 05, 2016, 12:16:38 AM
Yeah, regarding JC it is more or less what I said in the other thread about REBOR eggs, I agree with you. His videos sounds more like adverts rather than reviews. I wanted just to point out that Schleich Dimetrodon isn't bad as espected, it looks way better than the original stock photo. But still a rip-off of Papo's and certainly inferior than the original.

Never watched that guy's videos. I wouldn't be surprised if he is getting those figures for free.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: