News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - new for 2016

Started by tyrantqueen, October 10, 2015, 07:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Actually 6 metres seems to be possible, given that there is a skull that is 56 cm long. Ever heard of Frenguellisaurus? That one is no more and is now considered a large Herrerasaurus.

The Schleich version however seems to be closer to their Tyrannosaurus in size.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Mauro "Raptor86"

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 08, 2016, 11:47:27 AM
Actually 6 metres seems to be possible, given that there is a skull that is 56 cm long. Ever heard of Frenguellisaurus? That one is no more and is now considered a large Herrerasaurus.

The Schleich version however seems to be closer to their Tyrannosaurus in size.

If it is in scale with the Jurassic Park toys, that's fine for me :D

Sim

Quote from: Charlie P. on March 07, 2016, 04:38:14 AM
Stargatedalek said that Papo in the first place stole that design for their Dimetrodon, if I got it right. So I wonder who made the original, if it's a figure or some work of paleo art.

All I can remember about that is Reply #103 here and Blade-of-the-Moon's reply in the next post.

Sim

Quote from: Charlie P. on March 09, 2016, 01:17:57 AM
Quote from: Sim on March 08, 2016, 04:15:01 PM
All I can remember about that is Reply #103 here and Blade-of-the-Moon's reply in the next post.

Yeah, looks like Papo's is "heavily inspired" by the one in the second picture.

To me it looks like Papo based their Dimetrodon on the second one,  Steve Riojas's one (which was sculpted by David Silva).  And then Schleich based their Dimetrodon on Papo's.

CityRaptor

Given Schleich, I would not rule that out.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: Sim on March 09, 2016, 02:18:46 PM
Quote from: Charlie P. on March 09, 2016, 01:17:57 AM
Quote from: Sim on March 08, 2016, 04:15:01 PM

Yeah, looks like Papo's is "heavily inspired" by the one in the second picture.

To me it looks like Papo based their Dimetrodon on the second one,  Steve Riojas's one (which was sculpted by David Silva).  And then Schleich based their Dimetrodon on Papo's.

Talk about diminishing returns...now, when a chinasaur company copies the Schleich one, it will look even worse...it's like genetic degradation.

Although, I quite like the Papo version. It pleases me, maybe because it isn't a Papo dinosaur?

Sim

I was thinking about the similarity between the Dimetrodon models, and I seemed to remember there was something more, but I couldn't remember what it was.  So I did some searching and I remembered seeing some repaints by forum member Copper that looked similar due to being based on this:

The pattern on the Schleich Dimetrodon's sail is almost identical.

Papo Dimetrodon:

I think Papo's was based on Steve Riojas's Creative Beast Dimetrodon (seen below).  There are lots of similarities: The colours used, the way they go from dark to light on the body, the bright sail broken up by black, the stripes on the legs and tail, the skin texture, the pose.  The fifth toe of Dimetrodon can't be seen in this photo of Steve's Dimetrodon.  Maybe that's why the Papo Dimetrodon has only four toes?

After putting all this together, I saw some of this had already been covered in this thread!: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3947.msg123848#msg123848

LophoLeeVT

wow!!! never n
oticed that!!
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Megalosaurus

And of course, don't forget this sculpture:

Done by Keith Strasser
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Sim

Quote from: Megalosaurus on March 16, 2016, 11:14:09 PM
And of course, don't forget this sculpture:

Done by Keith Strasser

That sculpture might have been a reference for the Papo or Schleich Dimetrodon, but I'm not sure about that.

Fluffysaurus

i have caught myself my first  and last schleichosaurus for this year. Dunkleosteus isnt a dino and also isnt out yet. Right?

Also made a review of it
https://youtu.be/oN5uRHaku9Q
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.
I am the cutest Fluffysaurus you have ever seen!

Roselaar

It has been available for two months now. I've seen it in a lot of stores selling Schleich recently, and never picked it up for reconsideration after the first time. The only toys I'm likely to reconsider from Schleich's 2016 line-up are the Dunkleosteus and Barapasaurus. Though I'm pretty sure I'll leave them where they are and pick them up at a flea market eventually, as is my usual routine for Schleich figures. :)

Fluffysaurus

I didnt see Dunkleosteus yet, Barapasaurus is schedelbreuk for July. Hope Dunk will be available soon. I just couldnt help myself. I just couldnt help to stare are blue trippy hahaha. So after a loooong wait i finally gave in haha.
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Dinofiel on April 14, 2016, 08:35:21 PM
Barapasaurus is schedelbreuk for July.

I think that was your autocorrect :P I hope for the Barapasaurus that it doesn't actually have a skull fracture ;)

(For the non-Dutch: "schedelbreuk" means skull fracture, it was probably autocorrected from the word scheduled)

Fluffysaurus

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on April 14, 2016, 08:41:46 PM
Quote from: Dinofiel on April 14, 2016, 08:35:21 PM
Barapasaurus is schedelbreuk for July.

I think that was your autocorrect :P I hope for the Barapasaurus that it doesn't actually have a skull fracture ;)

(For the non-Dutch: "schedelbreuk" means skull fracture, it was probably autocorrected from the word scheduled)
Hahahaha poor Barapa was dropped on its head Hahahahaha. Autocorrect indeed. Would be the first dino toy with a skullfracture hahahah.
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.

PaleoMatt

That's how barapasaurus went extinct lol

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: PaleoMatt on April 14, 2016, 09:39:41 PM
That's how barapasaurus went extinct lol

Sauropods had very fragile skulls after all! :P
But anyway, I'll definitelly get the Barapasaurus and Dunkleosteus when they are in stores. I also want i]Dimetrodon[/i], but haven't bought it yet because I wanted to buy some retired Schleichs first. Not sure if I'll get the Herrerasaurus, it looks kinda weird and it seems to be too large compared to other Schleich dinosaurs. The Dilophosaurus is just ugly, which is a shame because it can be such a beautiful dinosaur if done right.

By the way, isn't it remarkable that all 2016 Schleich dinosaurs/prehistoric creatures are from earlier epochs? Does it have something to do with the ''first giants'' tagline? I mean, look at it:

Dunkelosteus - Devonian
Dimetrodon - Permian
Herrerasaurus - Triassic
Dilophosaurus - Early Jurassic
Barapsaurus - Early Jurassic

Despite the fact that most popular dinosaurs are from the Late Jurassic and Cretaceous, Schleich chose not to make any dinosaurs from those time periods. Maybe we can expect those dinosaurs in 2017! :P

Fluffysaurus

I hope Schleigggggg will make a Diplocaulus. Why doesnt someone create it! Its fun it has bazang. Its head is shaped like a boomerang. Give it up for dippy!!! Seriously in the need of a Diplocaulus figure
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.

tyrantqueen

Doesn't Schleich mean "creeping" in German? Can any German speakers confirm this? >:D

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Dinofiel on April 15, 2016, 10:27:23 PM
I hope Schleigggggg will make a Diplocaulus. Why doesnt someone create it! Its fun it has bazang. Its head is shaped like a boomerang. Give it up for dippy!!! Seriously in the need of a Diplocaulus figure

Not "Schleigggggg", but here you are:

Or you may get the Kaiyodo one:

Does anyone have a close up of the new little ammonites?
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: