News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2016

Started by Fluffysaurus, October 14, 2015, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kovu

Plus, just throwing it out there, how firmly established was the break up of Euoplocephalus? Is it possible all these "new" animals are still in the genera Euoplocephalus, just different species? So instead of all grouped in E. tutus, we have E. tutus, E. cutleri, E. lambei and E. acutosquameus?
Sorry if I'm missing something. Just trying to understand the obviously complex taxonomy involved in this.

As far as Safari ankylosaur, I've said it once and I'll say it again. A Watson Saichania would be amazing. I've always loved its armored forelimbs. Makes it look nice and tough.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Kovu on May 08, 2016, 12:40:24 AM
Plus, just throwing it out there, how firmly established was the break up of Euoplocephalus? Is it possible all these "new" animals are still in the genera Euoplocephalus, just different species? So instead of all grouped in E. tutus, we have E. tutus, E. cutleri, E. lambei and E. acutosquameus?
Sorry if I'm missing something. Just trying to understand the obviously complex taxonomy involved in this.

As far as Safari ankylosaur, I've said it once and I'll say it again. A Watson Saichania would be amazing. I've always loved its armored forelimbs. Makes it look nice and tough.

Genera are subjective of course, but if you include all those species under the heading Euoplocephalus, then it would be paraphyletic with respect to Ankylosaurus.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Kovu on May 08, 2016, 12:40:24 AM

If so, then we would have to sink Ankylosaurus as well.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Wait, most reconstructions of Euplocephalus are based on Scolosaurus? But I thought most reconstructions of Ankylosaurus were based on Euplocephalus! Where does it end? IS IT TURTLES ALL THE WAY DOWN?!?!?

(Incidentally, for those of lucky enough to possess the old Carnegie Euplocephalus, how does that fare in accuracy?)

LophoLeeVT

isnt scolosaurus a small adorable looking dinosaur with a horn on its head and spickes on its tail???
i think that looks VERY different from euplocephalus.....
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: raptor64870 on May 11, 2016, 04:58:08 AM
isnt scolosaurus a small adorable looking dinosaur with a horn on its head and spickes on its tail???

Don't trust everything you read in 30 year old children's picture books.

japfeif

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on May 12, 2016, 12:04:40 AM

Yeah from my understanding, the reason most restorations of Scolosaurus show it with spikes on its tail tip is because the first specimens were missing the end of the tail, what tail was there ended at the two spikes about halfway down the tail column, and it was thought that that WAS the end of the tail, and therefore had spikes on it.

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: japfeif on May 12, 2016, 03:23:33 AM
Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on May 12, 2016, 12:04:40 AM

Yeah from my understanding, the reason most restorations of Scolosaurus show it with spikes on its tail tip is because the first specimens were missing the end of the tail, what tail was there ended at the two spikes about halfway down the tail column, and it was thought that that WAS the end of the tail, and therefore had spikes on it.

Ahhh, that would also explain why Scolosaurus was always depicted with such a weirdly short tail. I always thought it was just a paleo-meme based off a bad artist.

Sim

For some time now, all the Carnegie Collection figures are gone from the Safari Ltd website, and all of the 2016 prehistoric figures are now on the website.  Now that Safari no longer offers any of the Carnegie Collection figures, it seems more likely types of animals that were in the CC could be made for the Wild Safari line.

Fembrogon

Recently I had the pleasure of discovering these three being sold at Hobby Lobby (amidst Papo's and Mojo's(?)), so today when I was out I made sure to grab them:

Curiously, the Iguanodon was the most expensive.

I'm delighted with all three of these dinos. Carcharodontosaurus captures my attention most, of course, being a great big Carnosaur; but the Iguanodon is quite beautiful, and it's very satisfying to finally have a quality rendition of this classic genus in my collection. It's also kind of exciting to have a genus as quirky as Masiakasaurus in my collection too!

And so my collection grows...

^My "modern" Safari ltd. figures.
Wait, are these seriously all I have?! ...And I just bought the Apatosaurus and the Mammoth today too!!
(edit: oh, wait, I somehow left out Stegosaurus and Dunkleosteus. *facepalm*)

DinoLord

Interesting that Hobby Lobby had them. The few times I've been there the only dinosaurs I've had are broken Papos.

Takama

in 2012 they had all four of the new releases, but since then, they only had Papos and Mojos.

I never buy my Safari Dinosaurs at the stores anymore because Customers dont know how to properly handle them ::)

Flaffy

Quote from: Takama on October 28, 2016, 02:25:13 AM
in 2012 they had all four of the new releases, but since then, they only had Papos and Mojos.

I never buy my Safari Dinosaurs at the stores anymore because Customers dont know how to properly handle them ::)
Here here  ::)

Daspletotyrannus

Sadly when I went to Hobby Lobby all the Masiakasaurus teeth was broken.  I still need to get it. I might just order it from Safari Ltd website. On a side note I was told by Safari on Facebook that their Smilodon says Smilodon on the underside. Is this true? The one I own is an old one that doesn't say Smilodon on it. I've seen the tags only at Michaels say Smilodon on it but they didn't have the figure for it. Lol

Doug Watson

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on October 28, 2016, 06:17:28 AM
Sadly when I went to Hobby Lobby all the Masiakasaurus teeth was broken.  I still need to get it. I might just order it from Safari Ltd website. On a side note I was told by Safari on Facebook that their Smilodon says Smilodon on the underside. Is this true? The one I own is an old one that doesn't say Smilodon on it. I've seen the tags only at Michaels say Smilodon on it but they didn't have the figure for it. Lol

I checked my first issue sample that they gave me when they first came out and it says Saber Tooth Tiger. I informed them at the time that the correct name was Smilodon so it is possible that they corrected it down the line. If so, hold on to your original, quirks like that could make it more valuable someday (I hope since I have two). I don't have one from the current runs so unless some one else chimes in I'll have to check one in a store next time I see one.

Daspletotyrannus

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 25, 2016, 03:22:44 PM
Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on October 28, 2016, 06:17:28 AM

I checked my first issue sample that they gave me when they first came out and it says Saber Tooth Tiger. I informed them at the time that the correct name was Smilodon so it is possible that they corrected it down the line. If so, hold on to your original, quirks like that could make it more valuable someday (I hope since I have two). I don't have one from the current runs so unless some one else chimes in I'll have to check one in a store next time I see one.

I would keep it anyways.  I don't mind having double or even triple.  That what happened with some the Battat dinosaurs.  I have three Cryolophosaurus and Carnotaurus  (two new and the original ). Lol I just love all your prehistoric mammals and dinosaurs. Just need to hunt down or wait to see if the reissue the ones I'm missing for the mammals.

Flaffy

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but does anyone know if the 2016 Iguanodon's fifth finger still has the incorrect paint app where the factory accidentally painted the fifth finger with a claw?

Fembrogon

Mine appears to, but I bought it back in October. If they've changed anything, one would have to check the new stock.

Shonisaurus

What if I have noticed that in some figures of Safari for example gryposaurus (by the way magnificent figure) are constant tenders to abrasions by falls or by friction with other figures. Unfortunately it is the third gryposaurus that I have in charge of an online store.

The sickle of gryposaurus is the most affected part of this figure, apart from the loin. It may be that there are errors in its manufacture or that it does not apply enough layers of paint.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: