News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2016

Started by Fluffysaurus, October 14, 2015, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

The "Crocs" are on my priority list now. Originally I wanted to go for the Prehistoric Sea Life first, but now it is the "Crocs".
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Fluffysaurus

I have seen a review of the Safari Shunosaurus, I think he looks Nice. Is it true his teeth are a little derpy? Could live with that. And also could someone please snap a close-up shot of his eyes please? I am thinking about buying them. Should i? Or Should i not?
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.
I am the cutest Fluffysaurus you have ever seen!

amargasaurus cazaui

You should, it is a nice representation of a seldom seen species. Aside from that, it is not an expensive or massive toy that takes up alot of room. I am quite happy with mine and glad I bought it.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Fluffysaurus

Okay Thankyou, no thats one of the Nice things of Safari. Altough sometimes their sculpts have paint flaws. But that can be fixed! I think.
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.

Sim

On Safari's website, the only Carnegie Collection genera they still have are Spinosaurus, Tanystropheus, Triceratops, Tyrannosaurus and Velociraptor: https://www.safariltd.com/products/search/sub_category:8

With almost all of the Carnegie figures gone now, I really get the impression that genera represented in the Carnegie Collection did have a considerable impact on which genera were represented in the Wild Safari line.  Looking at the prehistoric Wild Safari figures currently available from Safari (the ones on Safari's website + the 2016 figures which aren't on the website), some things stood out to me.  In the currently available Wild Safari prehistoric figures:

The most represented groups of closely related animals are Ceratopsoidea with 5 (Triceratops, Vagaceratops, Diabloceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus and Nasutoceratops), followed by with 3 each Tyrannosauroidea (Tyrannosaurus, Guanlong and Yutyrannus) and Allosauroidea (Allosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus).

Some types of dinosaurs which I would expect to find in a prehistoric animal toy line today are noticeably absent.  There is no ankylosaur with a tail club, the only Wild Safari ankylosaur is Doug's very good Sauropelta.  There's also no 'crested' hadrosaur, the only available WS hadrosaurs are Gryposaurus and Edmontosaurus.  There is also no feathered dromaeosaurid.  Although the feathered dromaeosaurid toys that should exist today still don't exist, almost all the other companies main line have feathered dromaeosaurids: Bullyland, CollectA, Favorite, now even Papo have all got feathered dromaeosaurids available.  Even Schleich and Mojo have made awful dromaeosaurids with an inadequate amount of feathers.  I know Safari has produced some feathered dromaeosaurids for other lines they have sold (e.g. toobs and Carnegie Collection), but once the Carnegie Velociraptor is gone, the absence of feathered dromaeosaurids from Safari's flagship line will become as obvious as the absence of a tail-clubbed ankylosaur or 'crested' hadrosaur, if not more obvious.

As usual for prehistoric animal toy lines, the Wild Safari line also has barely anything from the Triassic.  Only Postosuchus, I think?  (I don't know what species the ammonite is supposed to represent.)

I really hope Doug will make more ankylosaurs, dromaeosaurids and Triassic animals for the Wild Safari line.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Dinofiel on March 30, 2016, 04:01:03 PM
I have seen a review of the Safari Shunosaurus, I think he looks Nice. Is it true his teeth are a little derpy? Could live with that. And also could someone please snap a close-up shot of his eyes please? I am thinking about buying them. Should i? Or Should i not?

You should also remember that the Safari Shunosaurus is VERY small, so any paint flaws will not seem as glaring on a figure of that size  (at least in my opinion).

Fluffysaurus

Well i cant wait for sure hope i will get Some Safarisaurs for my birthday which is saturday hooraaaay!!
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.

Halichoeres

Interesting observations, Sim.

Quote from: Sim on April 20, 2016, 05:14:33 PM

As usual for prehistoric animal toy lines, the Wild Safari line also has barely anything from the Triassic.  Only Postosuchus, I think?  (I don't know what species the ammonite is supposed to represent.)

I think you're right, unless you count the tubes (Euparkeria, Desmatosuchus, Nothosaurus, etc.).

I really hope Doug will make more ankylosaurs, dromaeosaurids and Triassic animals for the Wild Safari line.

Oh my, yes. I also hope that we might see greater output from the Wild Safari line now that all the Carnegies are discontinued. That's a lot of gift shop and toy store shelf space that's about to be empty. And while we're dreaming, more toobs of course. A million great themes for those.

Quote from: Dinofiel on April 20, 2016, 10:13:48 PM
Well i cant wait for sure hope i will get Some Safarisaurs for my birthday which is saturday hooraaaay!!
Well, happy early birthday!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

amargasaurus cazaui

With the way the Sauropelta model came out, I keep hoping Doug will team back up with Ken Carpenter and spit us out a Gargoyleosaurus model.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 21, 2016, 06:02:06 AM

I think you're right, unless you count the tubes (Euparkeria, Desmatosuchus, Nothosaurus, etc.).

I was only looking at which Triassic animals are in the Wild Safari line, since out of the prehistoric lines Safari still produces, I think the others (e.g. toobs) fill a different niche.

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 21, 2016, 06:02:06 AM

Oh my, yes. I also hope that we might see greater output from the Wild Safari line now that all the Carnegies are discontinued. That's a lot of gift shop and toy store shelf space that's about to be empty. And while we're dreaming, more toobs of course. A million great themes for those.

Yes, greater output from the Wild Safari line would be great!  I must admit I've been a bit disappointed by how certain groups of closely related animals have been getting three or more WS figures, while other popular groups or animals are unrepresented.  I hope that demand for certain types of animals to be made into WS figures means them being made will follow.  I'm not enjoying multiple additions to already-represented groups while other popular types of animals keep not being present at all.

The only dromaeosaurid currently sold in the WS line is a featherless Velociraptor with pronated hands that looks like what a Jurassic Park Velociraptor would look like if it were based on Velociraptor rather than Deinonychus.  The WS Velociraptor is so far from reality, and it was released by a company that is passionate about educational toys two years after the Carnegie Collection Microraptor and many years after dromaeosaurid fossils that preserved feathers were described.  As if to show the inaccuracy of the Velociraptor that was going to be released in the WS line, Velociraptor having quill knobs was described the year before the WS figure was released.  Due to these points I think in one way, dromaeosaurids are unrepresented in the WS line.  I hope the obvious omissions in the WS line were due to Carnegie Collection figures and that they will get filled in now that the CC has ended.

Among dinosaurs, from the Wild Safari line I'd particularly like Pinacosaurus, bipedal basal sauropodomorphs, Coelophysis, Deinonychus, and a Velociraptor that isn't below what I'd expect from Doug.  And Deinocheirus!  Safari has never produced an ornithomimosaur (in any of their lines, Carnegie Collection included), have they?

Takama

Im interested in small species

Sauropods

and ornithopods

but i do agree that they should make more Armored dinosaurs.  Like a Scolosaurus or Ankylosaurus(or better yet, BOTH)

I also like to see them remake every model they did in the years prior to 2007. The ones that are left are Hypacrosaurus, Styracosaurus, Parasarolophus, Leptoceratops,  and Gorgosaurus.

2016 gave me almost everything i wanted from them

A Sauropod

A Ornithopod

A Small Species

A Remake of a Original Wild Safari model

The only thing that would put the cherry on top of the Sundai would be a Armored dinosaur

Sim

Quote from: Takama on May 03, 2016, 05:53:39 PM
I also like to see them remake every model they did in the years prior to 2007. The ones that are left are Hypacrosaurus, Styracosaurus, Parasarolophus, Leptoceratops,  and Gorgosaurus.

There's Utahraptor, Pachycephalosaurus and Spinosaurus as well.  I'm guessing you're just referring to dinosaur species, as the prehistoric mammals and Pteranodon are from before 2007 as well.  Why would you like Safari to remake all their pre-2007 (dinosaur) species?

Takama

Well i see 2007 as the year of them rebooting there Safari line with a new T.Rex Sculpt (which i think is there absolute WORST dinosaur model, and needed a replacement that came in 2011) in 2008 they gave us a new Allosaurus, Triceratops and Stegosaurus along with a Velociraptor.

Yes i was referring to the dinosaur models specifically.   The mammals are great

I did forget about the Spinosaurus and Utahraptor, though i like to think the Pachycephalaosaurus is already remade, only its a Juvenile now and called a Dracorex

As for the Pteranodon, I think they should remake it too. Not because i would buy it(i only collect Dinosaurs now) but just so the whole line is rebooted

PaleoMatt

I would love them to all be remade.

Sim

Quote from: Takama on May 03, 2016, 06:54:02 PM
Well i see 2007 as the year of them rebooting there Safari line with a new T.Rex Sculpt (which i think is there absolute WORST dinosaur model, and needed a replacement that came in 2011) in 2008 they gave us a new Allosaurus, Triceratops and Stegosaurus along with a Velociraptor.

And the Velociraptor doesn't need a replacement...?  Am I correct in thinking the Velociraptor is the only WS dinosaur released after 2007 you don't have?  And if so, how come you don't have it? :)

I don't think I can consider the Wild Safari line completely rebooted when its only Velociraptor is one so far from reality and which ironically belongs to before 2007, since 2007 is when a Velociraptor specimen was described to have quill knobs proving Velociraptor had feathers (and more specifically, wings).

Takama

The Velociraptor is indeed one of the few post 2007 models that need a replacement.   

suspsy

I'd like to see Doug tackle a stegosaur. Gigantspinosaurus would be especially sweet.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Kovu

Quote from: suspsy on May 03, 2016, 11:42:50 PM
I'd like to see Doug tackle a stegosaur. Gigantspinosaurus would be especially sweet.

I second this.

I'd love Safari to a Saichania, a severely under represented species, but in all honesty, I'd really love to see Mr. Watson continue with his ceratopsians. I was a little sad we didn't get another this year, (that being said, the 2016 lineup is fantastic otherwise!) For the past few years, its almost become a hallmark of Safari, and I was enjoying building a nice conga of Safari Ceratopsians. Wouldn't an Einiosaurus, Centrosaurus, Rubeosaurus, Kosmoceratops and Coahuilaceratops by Mr. Watson be so cool? As long as the other figures are unique, I really wouldn't have a problem with one of the six species consistently being a ceratopsian.

Flaffy

Quote from: Kovu on May 04, 2016, 03:48:22 AM
Quote from: suspsy on May 03, 2016, 11:42:50 PM

I second this.

I'd love Safari to a Saichania, a severely under represented species, but in all honesty, I'd really love to see Mr. Watson continue with his ceratopsians. I was a little sad we didn't get another this year. For the past few years, its almost become a hallmark of Safari, and I was enjoying building a nice conga of Safari Ceratopsians. Wouldn't an Einiosaurus, Centrosaurus, Rubeosaurus, Kosmoceratops and Coahuilaceratops by Mr. Watson be so cool? As long as the other figures are unique, I really wouldn't have a problem with one of the six species consistently being a ceratopsian.
I would also like a ceratopsian. Also, Scheich made 3-4 versions of their saichania. ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

At least until we had most of the species of em'...lol  Def need more Dougaceratops to flesh out the collection.  A similar line with hadrosaurs would be stellar too.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: