News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Gryphon Art- update 4/9

Started by Gryphoceratops, March 13, 2012, 08:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Very nice!!!  An hooray for feathery tyrannosaurs! ;D

Meso-Cenozoic

NOOOOOOOOOO, Chris!!!! No "hairy" adult Rexes!! LOL!! (J/K)  ;)

I love, love, love your Stego and Pachyrhinos! (Stegosaurus is my favorite mid-sized prehistoric herbivore! 8))

Sharptooth

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on May 10, 2012, 09:27:37 PM

Tyrannosaurus pair

Like it, like it & like it  8)

That's the type of feathering i (usually) imagine for T.rex! Bravo!

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

Gryphoceratops

Thanks guys!  I was able to pump out quite a few more lately for the jerseyboysblog. 

Coelophysis

Utahraptor

Carnotaurus

Barosaurus

Darko2300

Your paintings are wonderful. Are they watercolor, or just thinned acryllic paints? It'd be kind of fun to see a work in progress to get a better sense of how they come together. Beautiful job!

Gryphoceratops

Thanks!  They are watercolors.  The next one I'll show the process if you are interested.   ;)

Darko2300

That would be awesome!

(I've only ever been brave enough to try watercolor pencils myself.)

Meso-Cenozoic

Hey, these new ones are all great too! My faves are the Coelo and the Carno. Really nice! Although, the Baro looks a little 'lumpy' in some of the longer lines. Hehe! Isn't it a b*tch sometimes to try and get those long parallel lines even? Especially when you're working fast, right! But, I am so impressed with what you can achieve at these break-neck speeds you're getting these out at! You know though, when you make yourself work really fast like this, you start to recognize more consistently your own style. It's like when a celebrity signs autographs all the time. After a while, they just don't think about 'how' they write it. They just write it, and it becomes more and more recognizable as their own unique signature. That's kind of like what's happening to you now. Your style is becoming more and more recognizably a DiPiazza!  :D

Gryphoceratops

Thanks everyone.  Here is a bigger one I have been doing on and off over the past week or so.  Apatosaurus drops dead in the USA during the late Jurassic and attracts all sorts of meat-eaters.  Allosaurus pair tries to fend off a Torvosaurus, pterodactylus swarm the body waiting for the larger theropods to slash open the thick hide so they can get some morsels, ornitholestes take advantage of a free meal and hunt a few more careless pterosaurs and finally a ceratosaurus contemplates trying to snag a mouthful before the other bigger theropods notice. 

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on May 24, 2012, 04:19:42 AM
Thanks everyone.  Here is a bigger one I have been doing on and off over the past week or so.  Apatosaurus drops dead in the USA during the late Jurassic and attracts all sorts of meat-eaters.  Allosaurus pair tries to fend off a Torvosaurus, pterodactylus swarm the body waiting for the larger theropods to slash open the thick hide so they can get some morsels, ornitholestes take advantage of a free meal and hunt a few more careless pterosaurs and finally a ceratosaurus contemplates trying to snag a mouthful before the other bigger theropods notice. 

I like this one a lot. Poor apato! :'( ;)

ZoPteryx

That's fanatastic!  Well done! :D

Totoro

These are wonderful, Chris!  I really am drawn to watercolors anyway and your subjects are always nicely proportioned, colored and posed, and are becoming increasingly emotive.  I love the energy in the T rex. painting and the Carnotaurus.  Of course, I can't begin to express my pleasure in seeing a Ceratosaurus pop up in your scene of feasting carnivorous scavengers!   ^-^
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

Meso-Cenozoic

Oh yes, Chris, this new one is nice! I'd call it your kitchen sink painting, 'cause so much is thrown into this one. Hehe! All the characters are really nicely done. I think my favorite though is the Cerato -- nice colors as well on him! The only, only thing I'd change a bit are the darker lines that outline your distant mountain range. If they're just the pencil outlines, they could probably be easily erased. I just think with the darker outlines around the mountains, it doesn't allow them to fade into the distance as well. IDK, what do you think? All in all, a very successful painting. Congrats!

Gryphoceratops

Thanks everyone. 

Chuck, I see what you are referring to.  I think the dark outlines are due to the painting of the sky overlapping with the painting of the mountains.  I will take just a clean wet brush and see if I can lighten that up a bit.  Thanks for the suggestion.   :)

Gryphoceratops

Okay so I followed your advice and lightened up the mountains.  Its a small adjustment but I think it looks a lot better so thank you very much!  I don't think I would have seen that on my own.  I also added a little more detail to the background. 

Himmapaan

I already mentioned it elsewhere, but: really beautiful. I think the re-adjusted mountains work a treat, too.  :D

Meso-Cenozoic

Yep, that did it! See, you are a good student. ;) ;) (Little inside joke there! ;D)

I also like your extra foliage you added in the background. I really like the way you do your quick little trees. They're perfect for distance that would in real life, depict less detail. I would screw them up because I'm always a fussbudget for details. Everywhere! It wouldn't matter if near or far. I would always fuss too much! And you especially can't overwork watercolors! I like your carefree style. You do it. It's done. Move on to the next, hehe! 8)

Gryphoceratops

Haha Its not really work to me if I enjoy doing it.  :))

Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate it. 

Chuck, I'm still waiting to see some of your art up here!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on May 27, 2012, 04:40:40 PM
Okay so I followed your advice and lightened up the mountains.  Its a small adjustment but I think it looks a lot better so thank you very much!  I don't think I would have seen that on my own.  I also added a little more detail to the background. 

Beautiful work...and just because it has an Allosaurus in it..lol

Gryphoceratops

Haha I thought you might like the Allos in that, Chris.  I hope I did them enough justice to fit your standards.   :P

I was asked to show one of my paintings as it progresses by another member.  So here is the initial sketch of my next one.  Eotyrannus, Hypsilophodon and Pelorosaurus.  Since those sauropods were so huge I bet they were sometimes totally unaware of whats going on around their feet.  I think its sort of cool to have a chase scene taking place between their legs.  If anyone has any suggestions feel free to speak up.  Looking at it already, I think I want to change the orientation of thy Hypsilophodon to be running more towards the viewer. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: