News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Gryphon Art- update 4/9

Started by Gryphoceratops, March 13, 2012, 08:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

lol well they aren't covered in spikes but I'll like em' anyway.. ;D

..really I like just about any Allosaurus. ;)

I like the Eotyrannus in the back..you can tell already his line of site is focused on the Hypsi . :)

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on May 28, 2012, 02:31:35 PM
Haha Its not really work to me if I enjoy doing it.  :))

Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate it. 

Chuck, I'm still waiting to see some of your art up here!

Yeah, I definitely got to get back in the swing of it again! I'm sure I'm wayyyyy out of practice. BTW though, you have seen one of my 'art pieces'. Remember I made that X-mas card I gave you and Andrew at the AMNH? Hehe! I know, not exactly what you were referring to. But, along with all the "coloring book-style" dinos I did, I also created and free-handed the lettering on the front and as well as the Jurassic Park-style lettering inside. I even drew and colored all the little lights and thingies as well as colored the tree. I know, I know, I true genius work of art! ::) LOL!! ;D

I think you said you saw the original T.rex head I did for the drawing contest, right? Or were you only thinking of the small partial pic of it in my signature? 'Cause, if you hadn't seen the full-size one, here it is...

Not great, but not to horrible either I guess. I could never have won that contest if you, Niroot and others were on at that time! :-[

Also, I painted my first dino figure and posted it before you joined. So, you might not have seen that. I painted the unpainted Invicta Dippy to be a companion piece for the newer Carnegie Dippy.
Here's the original thread...
Chuck's painted Invicta Dippy
I'd do some things on it a little differently now. But for my first dino figure paint job, it ain't half bad.

OK, enough of my sabotaging your thread, hehe! I promise one day, and hopefully soon, to start up my own!  8)

Gryphoceratops

Awesome!!!!  Now make your own thread ans put them all on there!  lol

Himmapaan

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on May 30, 2012, 11:05:14 PM
Awesome!!!!  Now make your own thread ans put them all on there!  lol
Yes! At once! Even if you start with just this one alone. Do it!  :))

Gryphoceratops

Had this one done for a while forgot to share it on here.  Tarbosaurus. 

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on June 10, 2012, 08:21:12 PM

I really like the feathers on this guy! I like the therizinosaurus a lot too, although I think he should have more feathers, but it may just be the angle. When do you think you can post updates of the eotyrannus and hypsolophodons? I really want tosee them finished :).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Gryphoceratops

What reason should the therizino have to be more covered in feathers?  We know it probably had feathers in some form but as to how much is still a mystery.  It was very large so its fine making it more sparse than something like a Beipiaosaurus.  Check out an ostrich.  They are bare on a lot of their bodies too.  My version would have feathers all down the top of the body you can sort of see them sticking out over the sides a bit.  but the belly is bare.  Nothing wrong with it. 

I have been SUPER busy lately with my job and haven't touched the hypsilophodon one beyond what you see there.  They tarbosaurus was finished before that was even started I just forgot to post it.  I'll for sure keep its progress on here though. 

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on June 14, 2012, 05:04:20 AM
What reason should the therizino have to be more covered in feathers?  We know it probably had feathers in some form but as to how much is still a mystery.  It was very large so its fine making it more sparse than something like a Beipiaosaurus.  Check out an ostrich.  They are bare on a lot of their bodies too.  My version would have feathers all down the top of the body you can sort of see them sticking out over the sides a bit.  but the belly is bare.  Nothing wrong with it. 
Nevermind, it IS just the angle :)).

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 15, 2012, 09:46:24 PM

I'll eventually do a living therizino.  That will clear everything up haha.

Meso-Cenozoic

OMG, Chris, you don't know how many times I went back and forth through your pages looking for this Theri you guys are talking about. Haha! After coming back to this page for about the 3rd time, there it is, dead as a doornail under the Tarbo! I guess when I read in your caption you only mentioning the Tarbo, I was concentrating on him. Anyway, both are very good in my opinion!

BTW, I just came from commenting on Niroot's man-eating Rex and now I get here and see some more carnage. Cool! LOL! I mean, it WAS a dino-eat-dino world back then, right? I say bring on more of the same! Hehe! >:D

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on June 15, 2012, 09:54:07 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 15, 2012, 09:46:24 PM

I'll eventually do a living therizino.  That will clear everything up haha.
Cool! Also, this is kind of off topic, but I recently read the whole argument on your two unenlagia in a tree painting about how accurate/inaccurate it is. In my opinion I agree that an adult unenlagia could most likely climb a tree if it wanted too, and a juvenile almost certainly could. And unenlagia was definatly not to heavy to climb, after all a 300 something pound leopard can carry not only itself but it's prey into a tree, and unenlagia probably only weighed about 50 pounds.

Gryphoceratops

Thanks man.  Yeah I don't really see unenlagia being a purely arboreal animal but I don't see anything wrong with imagining they may have ventured up there for a mating ritual or something once in a while right?   ;)  Like you said leopards do it as do bears which are even heavier! 

Sharptooth

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on June 10, 2012, 08:21:12 PM

Very good! The Tarbosaurus looks massive, and that's good for me  ;)

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

stoneage

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on June 18, 2012, 11:22:49 PM
Thanks man.  Yeah I don't really see unenlagia being a purely arboreal animal but I don't see anything wrong with imagining they may have ventured up there for a mating ritual or something once in a while right?   ;)  Like you said leopards do it as do bears which are even heavier!

I can't understand why you would compare a dinosaur which you consider related to birds, to a goat, leopard or bear!  Kenneth Carpenter and Phil Senter said it was unable to life its forelimbs above its back.  Its wings are too short to support it and flying Pterosaurs with the same wing span weighed much less.  There also is no fossil evidence of feathers and if it did have feathers they were probably more like an Ostrich. Also some scientist think it is actually a small Megaraptor.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: stoneage on June 20, 2012, 03:18:10 AM

I can't understand why you would compare a dinosaur which you consider related to birds, to a goat, leopard or bear!  Kenneth Carpenter and Phil Senter said it was unable to life its forelimbs above its back.  Its wings are too short to support it and flying Pterosaurs with the same wing span weighed much less.  There also is no fossil evidence of feathers and if it did have feathers they were probably more like an Ostrich. Also some scientist think it is actually a small Megaraptor.
Megaraptor is a carnosaur! Also I never said anything about them flying! Just like microraptor, unenlagia could easily climb up in the same style as a leapard! Not to mention, I wasn't in any way comparing the phisyliology of unenlagia to that of a leopard, and they are in no way similar, exept that they both have razor sharp claws that can be just as helpful in climbing (if it comes to it) as they can be when it comes to hunting! Also, if you dislike flying dromaeosaurs so much, then how does this look?

[attachment msg=12066][/attachment]

stoneage

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 20, 2012, 05:54:20 AM

Megaraptor is a carnosaur! Also I never said anything about them flying! Just like microraptor, unenlagia could easily climb up in the same style as a leapard! Not to mention, I wasn't in any way comparing the phisyliology of unenlagia to that of a leopard, and they are in no way similar, exept that they both have razor sharp claws that can be just as helpful in climbing (if it comes to it) as they can be when it comes to hunting! Also, if you dislike flying dromaeosaurs so much, then how does this look?

Razor sharp claws don't mean you can climb.  Microraptor was the size of a pigeon!  It probably climbed trees so it could glide.  Oh and I don't have anything against flying dromaeosaurs as long as their equipped for it.

Gryphoceratops

What in that paragraph has anything to do with what we are talking about? 

1) Yes it couldn't lift its arms up like a bird.  Therefore it couldn't climb???  No.
2) Nobody said anything about flying.
3) There is fossil evidence of feathering on close relatives like Velociraptor.  That's enough scientific evidence to portray unenlagia the same way until further evidence is found. 
4) Why would they be ostrich-like?  Other dromaeosaurs show more advanced feathers.  Again, its most scientific to portray this animal like that
5)Think its a small megaraptor?  Thats been disproved.  The megaraptor claw is almost identical in shape to a spinosaur claw.  Unenlagia was clearly not that kind of an animal looking at the rest of its known anatomy.
6) Sharp claws doesn't mean it was necessarily a climber....yeah but they sure help if it was.  Its an animal thats been extinct for over 80 million years.  We are allowed to speculate within reason. 

I find it funny how the last time you showed up on my art thread was to vocalize your apparent mortal fear for any birdlike dinosaur doing anything remotely birdlike.  Do we really need to debate about this all over again?  Cant you just go back to the first time it happened on the old thread and read that again instead? 

Horridus

Also some scientist think it is actually a small Megaraptor.
....What!?!
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

stoneage

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on June 20, 2012, 10:15:20 PM

What in that paragraph has anything to do with what we are talking about? 

1) Yes it couldn't lift its arms up like a bird.  Therefore it couldn't climb???  No.
2) Nobody said anything about flying.
3) There is fossil evidence of feathering on close relatives like Velociraptor.  That's enough scientific evidence to portray unenlagia the same way until further evidence is found. 
4) Why would they be ostrich-like?  Other dromaeosaurs show more advanced feathers.  Again, its most scientific to portray this animal like that
5)Think its a small megaraptor?  Thats been disproved.  The megaraptor claw is almost identical in shape to a spinosaur claw.  Unenlagia was clearly not that kind of an animal looking at the rest of its known anatomy.
6) Sharp claws doesn't mean it was necessarily a climber....yeah but they sure help if it was.  Its an animal thats been extinct for over 80 million years.  We are allowed to speculate within reason. 

I find it funny how the last time you showed up on my art thread was to vocalize your apparent mortal fear for any birdlike dinosaur doing anything remotely birdlike.  Do we really need to debate about this all over again?  Cant you just go back to the first time it happened on the old thread and read that again instead?

1.  So you agree it couldn't lift its wings up like a bird.  So it couldn't flap like a bird.
2.  If I remember correctly back in version one you claimed it could fly like a turkey.
3.  The fossil evidence for Velociraptor just shows near microscopic knobs on the arms much smaller then a turkey vulture.  It could have had feathers of some sort.
4.  Only a few deinonychosaurians possessed asymmetrically veined wing feathers, most had symemetrical or non-veined feathers.
5.  I agree its no longer considered valid.
6.  Allosaurus has sharp claws also.

I reread part of the old thread and I remember you said Unengalia was 3 feet long, and I said based on countless articles that it was the size of an ostrich which was too big.  Both of us were incorrect on some things in my opinion.
Anyway Dr. Steve Salisbury (Vertebrate Palaeoontology and Biomechanics Lab at the University of Queensland found that "Among living birds, the curvature and length of the claw closely correlates with climbing ability, only a few can use their claw to cling to and climb up trees."  Anatomist at the University of Queensland found that the curvature and length in the majority of deinonychosaurians resembled that found in ground foraging birds such as pigeons and cockatoos.  "They can't cling to or climb trees.  Therefore the same was probably true for their dinosaurian forebearers" says Salisbury.  The only reason they would adapt climbing ability is if they foraged in trees.  Anyway you can speculate anything you want , but scientific consensus is they were unable to actually climb trees. 

Seijun

My pet dove can climb up my shirt to my shoulder if I am at about a 50 or 60 degree angle, and using just his claws, no flapping. He uses the "wrists" of his wings to steady himself when he starts to tip, but other than that his wings are not involved. So maybe the tree in Gryph's painting was at an angle :D
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: