News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA New for 2016

Started by Everything_Dinosaur, November 06, 2015, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turret

Just the other day I was thinking if I should make a struthiomimus out of clay. Now collecta beat me to it :) I really like the other too as well.

tyrantqueen

Definitely getting the secretary bird- I mean the Beishanlong ;D and probably the Lythronax. I'm skipping the Struthio.

I'm pretty sure the sculptor is still Anthony Beeson.

suspsy

Quote from: sauroid on November 13, 2015, 09:24:24 AM
the three newcomers look awesome! i dont mind bases as long as the figure doesnt stoop down in time. and are there any more 2016 CollectAs?

Yes. We still haven't seen the sea creatures and the prehistoric mammals.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 13, 2015, 11:00:49 AM
Definitely getting the secretary bird- I mean the Beishanlong ;D and probably the Lythronax. I'm skipping the Struthio.

I'm pretty sure the sculptor is still Anthony Beeson.

Anthony Beeson isn't the sculptor of CollectA models (directly)--he's the designer and oversees the products to his satisfaction. So, if it meets his approval, they get done. He does the planning and designing though--in this case, the Lythronax and Beishanlong are both based off of museum mounts that impressed him.

And he told me that there is the final batch of photots coming next week. Don't know how many (it's usually 4, but this week they sent out Spinosaurus photos, as those are officially 2016 releases as well...!). And don't know what. It would be a shame if at least one wasn't a mammal or marine animal (or...a combination of both? ;) Andno, I have no idea).

Dinoguy2

Quote from: suspsy on November 13, 2015, 03:19:49 AM
http://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2015/11/13/new-from-collecta-for-2016-part-2.html

ORNITHOMIMIDS!!!! BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL ORNITHOMIMIDS!!! ;D :)) :D

And Lythronax! Looks fantastic! I love the shaggy crests.

I could not care less about the fact that they are mounted on bases. Nor am I interested in hearing or responding to anyone's arguments against them. Right now I am simply overjoyed at the prospect of two new ornithomimids, one of them a whopping 23 cm tall.

These look very nice, but I have to nitpick since Struthiomimus has always been one of my favorite dinosaurs and I so would buy a good figure of it...

What is it with Collecta dinosaurs walking on tiptoes? Does the sculptor think digitigrade really means ungulatograde? Same goes for the otherwise awesome feathered T. rex. I would have bought it if the foot posture weren't so ridiculous.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Pawnosuchus

I know the subject has been beaten to death but I will not be getting any of the Collectas' because of the bases.  From what I've heard many of their figures still fall over because of the soft legs.  If that's the case what's the appeal of the bases?

tyrantqueen

QuoteAnthony Beeson isn't the sculptor of CollectA models (directly)--he's the designer and oversees the products to his satisfaction. So, if it meets his approval, they get done. He does the planning and designing though--in this case, the Lythronax and Beishanlong are both based off of museum mounts that impressed him.
Thank you for the correction. I didn't know that. I wonder who is the sculptor?

darth daniel

The second batch looks even better than the first! :D

The Lythronax is such a huge improvement over their Bistahieversor. Just the thigh looks a bit weak for supporting such a heavy animal. And how reasonable is it to assume that its belly would be bald?

I really like both Ornithomimids. Do the missing primaries that have been mentioned mean the missing feathers on the hand? The sculpting of the fingers and toes is awesome though.

Collecta´s feathered animals look better to me than their non-feathered for some reason. I´m not sure why, maybe their sculpting of scaly skin looks a bit artificial.

Now I´m looking forward to seeing the next reveal even more. I seem to remember a statement that their would be more new figures than last year - is that true? There were 12 figures for 2015, not counting the Spinos. Do these count for for 2015 or 2016?

tyrantqueen

QuoteThe Lythronax is such a huge improvement over their Bistahieversor. Just the thigh looks a bit weak for supporting such a heavy animal. And how reasonable is it to assume that its belly would be bald?
Kulindadromeus had a bald tail. I recall that there have been preserved skin impressions from Tyrannosaurs showing bare scales on the belly. So I wouldn't say it's impossible. But my worry for using that as evidence is the possibility that the fuzz could have decayed before preservation set in.

Halichoeres

I'll probably get all three of these. So the ornithomimosaurs were the underrepresented group that ED alluded to a couple weeks ago? I'll take it.

Quote from: darth daniel on November 13, 2015, 02:12:18 PM
Collecta´s feathered animals look better to me than their non-feathered for some reason. I´m not sure why, maybe their sculpting of scaly skin looks a bit artificial.

I agree. At least some of the time it's because the scales are the size of frisbees when you consider the scale they're in. Maybe the worst offender is the Irritator. Papo has out-of-scale scales, too, but I think they're done a lot more subtly and at least give a reasonable impression of scaliness, whereas certain CollectA figures look a lot like this:
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

MLMjp

Now Collecta is definitely my favorite company

Ornithomimids!!!!!!!! :D :D
Is a pity that they don't have proper wings but apart from that they are fantastic! Love the coloration and posture of the Beishanlong, the Struthiommus is a bit bland but I don't care, how many alternatives do you have???!!  :) :) :)This guys are a must get.

If only their feathered T.rex looked more like this Lytrhonax, because it looks really good, good job with the feathers on this one.
Why Collecta? Why is not your t.rex like this?? WHY??!! :'( :(

Also, it seems that I should be thinking about getting used to bases, I just hope they look better in the final figures, because they look really bad in this promotional pics.

Now bring on the rest of next year´s assorment!

Arrancon

I almost woke up my sleeping roomate when I saw the Struthiomimus!

The Beishanlong and Lynthorax (LOVE that name's meaning!) are also nice additions to the lineup, but I've been craving a feathered ornithomimid figure like this; currently I only own the Kaiyodo Struthiomimus, and its lack of feathers had finally gotten to me recently.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Patrx on November 13, 2015, 03:35:17 AM
Oh, no! they forgot the primary feathers :(  What a waste. I was all hyped for a moment.
Quote from: Pawnosuchus on November 13, 2015, 01:48:27 PM
I know the subject has been beaten to death but I will not be getting any of the Collectas' because of the bases.  From what I've heard many of their figures still fall over because of the soft legs.  If that's the case what's the appeal of the bases?
Both of these, so much both of these...

I'm not sure if I'm happy or reluctant to say the Beishanlong is a must have. I really like the secretary bird influence, and it's base is leagues ahead of any other CollectA base, but the missing primaries and (likely) permanent base make me feel like it's a huge missed opportunity.

Struthiomimus I can easily pass on, I like the colours but it's not particularly special to make up for it's missing primaries.

Lythronax looks very nice (aside from the bald face yet again), perhaps I'll consider it. If it turns out these bases are removable though I'll grab it in a heart beat.

Dan

The final four models are expected to be revealed next week.

suspsy

My fingers are crossed for either Megatherium, Elasmotherium, Arctodus, or Gigantopithecus (long shot, I know!).

sauroid

Gigantopithecus would be great. i just hope they dont make them look like bipedal oversized orangutans, like i see them sometimes depicted as.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Dan

Quote from: SBell on November 13, 2015, 11:54:02 AM
It would be a shame if at least one wasn't a mammal or marine animal (or...a combination of both? ;) Andno, I have no idea).

You shall have your wish, Sean.

Pawnosuchus

I know it's probably terribly dated but I've always liked the Marx Struthiomimus figure. I've had three in my dinosaur world for ages now.  I think I'll just stick with the little guys.  They've earned it.

Shonisaurus

Well, I am disappointed that disclosure to four models next week ... and nothing else. That means decreases the number of figures from the previous year.

Moreover another disconcerting news Spinosaurus three models are expected to appear in 2016. So the catalog.

suspsy

Eleven new toys is still eleven new toys----and way more than any other company is releasing next year. My wallet will thank me (and still hate me).

Quote from: Dan on November 13, 2015, 03:24:28 PM
Quote from: SBell on November 13, 2015, 11:54:02 AM
It would be a shame if at least one wasn't a mammal or marine animal (or...a combination of both? ;) Andno, I have no idea).

You shall have your wish, Sean.

That's pretty much a confirmation of Basilosaurus, isn't it?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: