News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA New for 2016

Started by Everything_Dinosaur, November 06, 2015, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on November 13, 2015, 08:49:35 PM
Yes, it should indeed be ornithomimosaurs. Although in my defense, I was extremely excited last night when I posted about the update.

And yes, the bare hands do look a bit odd (I'd be curious to see any and all research on ornithomimosaur wings) but to be perfectly blunt, I don't care. I can easily overlook this potential inaccuracy.

Because we're getting two feathered ornithomimosaurs!

Yeah, I first saw my email at like 5 this morning, so I wasn't really concerning myself beyond "Cool, new, unusual things!"

Dinomike

I'm in love with these new dinos!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

alexeratops

BEEEEEEEAUUUUUTIFUL!

The ornithomimid and ornithomimosaur are very good looking, lots of feathers and such- but being 1:40 scale, will be very small.
The Lythronax is amazing, but I'm not sure I'll get it. It looks a lot like the Rex. I still think it's very great though!
I am satisfied.
like a bantha!

stargatedalek

If you really want to you can get speculative and presume Beishanlong lost its primaries to help it adapt to a piscivorous diet like Deinocheirus, or at least that's what I'm going to use to justify it to myself...

EarthboundEiniosaurus

I'm very excited for the Beishanlong, even though it is lacking primaries, and has a featherless face, as well as those weird all black CollectA eyes, but thats nothing a little touchup won't fix. The other two don't really stand out to me as much, but i'll likely end up getting the Struthiomimus, seeing as there are very few ornithomimosaurs on the market, much less ones that are as close to being feathered correctly as these. Overall, it looks like i'll just be getting the Beishanlong and Struthiomimus unless the next few new releases really wow me.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

ItsTwentyBelow

Bases, bases, everywhere.

I like these new models and can see the improvements, particularly in the theropods, but CollectA is beginning to rely far too heavily on bases, in my opinion. Every one of the new (live) theropod figures has one this year, maybe from now on? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a certain amount of CollectA and am a happy owner of the wonderful Guidraco model. I also think a permanent base can be executed well, but they are being overused here and make all these figures seem so much more static. It doesn't help that the bases are fairly bland looking and contrast greatly with the detailed figures.

My biggest concern is that there will be no improvements in the plastic to allow the CollectA based figures to stay upright without warping forward or to the side over time. My Ichythovenator is now solidy resting on its hands after just over a year of ownership, a slow progression which I observed happening, and this certainly prevents me from wanting to waste money on any other current CollectA figures with bases. I've also seen unattractive photos of the Saurophagonax leaning awkwardly to the side. Can anyone report on how the recent CollectA adult feathered rex holds up on its base?

I'm waiting to see the next entry in the Supreme series.

joossa

The Beishanlong looks fantastic. These are great overall!  :D
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

John

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on November 14, 2015, 05:56:57 AM
Bases, bases, everywhere.

I like these new models and can see the improvements, particularly in the theropods, but CollectA is beginning to rely far too heavily on bases, in my opinion. Every one of the new (live) theropod figures has one this year, maybe from now on? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a certain amount of CollectA and am a happy owner of the wonderful Guidraco model. I also think a permanent base can be executed well, but they are being overused here and make all these figures seem so much more static. It doesn't help that the bases are fairly bland looking and contrast greatly with the detailed figures.

My biggest concern is that there will be no improvements in the plastic to allow the CollectA based figures to stay upright without warping forward or to the side over time. My Ichythovenator is now solidy resting on its hands after just over a year of ownership, a slow progression which I observed happening, and this certainly prevents me from wanting to waste money on any other current CollectA figures with bases. I've also seen unattractive photos of the Saurophagonax leaning awkwardly to the side. Can anyone report on how the recent CollectA adult feathered rex holds up on its base?

I'm waiting to see the next entry in the Supreme series.
The only one from that line that I ended up with that had a base was the Xiongguanlong,but I can tell you that it's plastic is very stiff and even after nearly a year it still stands fine without drooping down or sideways.But I should say that it's only about 4 inches long or so if it's tail were stretched out,so it may be simply because it's much smaller and lighter than all of the others you mentioned.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Shonisaurus

The beishanlong so I suspect is marketed in spring. Therefore it will be the first figures available for Collecta, next to Metriacanthosaurus, feathered young tyrannosaurus rex, tyrannosaurus rex died and mercuriceratops.

Dilopho

Collecta, you're stealing my heart!

Dilopho

tyrantqueen

I have a "fix" for saggy figures.

Get yourself a cotton bud, or your local equivalent:

and chop the fluffy ends off. Trim the plastic to the appropriate length. Use it to prop up the part of the toy that is drooping. No glue is required, friction should hold it in place.

I chose a cotton bud because most people have them lying around their house, and they are cheap to acquire. The clear plastic is not too distracting

My T. rex has not sagged yet, and it's as upright as the day I bought it.

Dilopho

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 14, 2015, 10:48:24 AM

and chop the fluffy ends off. Trim the plastic to the appropriate length. Use it to prop up the part of the toy that is drooping. No glue is required, friction should hold it in place.

I chose a cotton bud because most people have them lying around their house, and they are cheap to acquire. The clear plastic is not too distracting

Tyrant Queen, you are a GENIUS!

tyrantqueen

Not even close, but thanks for the compliment :)

Shonisaurus

Fortunately my breeding tyrannosaurus rex, and the Pachycephalosaurus remain firm without rods and that and have for years.

Another thing is the Saurophaganax. It is a good idea what the plastic sticks.

PaleoMatt

PaleoMatt

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 14, 2015, 10:48:24 AM

I will use this for my favorite co raptor :)

suspsy

I've only had Firestreak for five months now, but he's shown absolutely zero signs of sagging. I doubt he ever will. His legs are too thick and solid.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Daspletodave

I'll be getting the Struthiomimus (and it's about time someone did an ornithomimid!)
The rest are meh.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: