News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA New for 2016

Started by Everything_Dinosaur, November 06, 2015, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoG

Unfortunately when it comes to bigger model the risk of poor sales or lesser margins is higher. I think Papo experienced something similar with the brachio that's why the went for a juvenile apato rather than a full grown one.
Run!

suspsy

Quote from: Concavenator on November 08, 2015, 08:41:52 PM
Let's be honest,it hsn't been really popular,at least not as much as I think CollectA had in mind.We'll wait and see.

Where are you getting that from? I've only seen positive things said about it here.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CityRaptor

Keep in mind that we are not the general public.

Although I also want to know where Concavenator gets it from.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shadowknight1

I want a Supreme Microraptor.  Or Yi Qi.  Either would be welcome.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Sim

Quote from: alexeratops on November 06, 2015, 11:32:01 PM
the cerotopsian seems bland to me (hey it's a real animal I can't change that).

Well, it's actually only known from two bones, the ones in the image below.

So besides the grey part in the image above, the rest of Mercuriceratops isn't known.  The CollectA Mercuriceratops is mostly speculation.

The image is from here: https://evanslab.wordpress.com/2014/06/18/introducing-mercuriceratops/

amargasaurus cazaui

I have taken issue with various things collecta /does/and how, and have not been a huge fan of some of their models, but I admit I am quite fond of the Guidraco myself ....it was a great idea and the size is really nice . I honestly find it a much better innovation than the corpses, which seem to sell well enough to keep being made.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Let's be honest,it hsn't been really popular,at least not as much as I think CollectA had in mind.We'll wait and see.

I don't know..there are five of them here currently.. lol

Safari made really large snakes, lizards, ect all 1:1 and those sold alright from what I recall.

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 09, 2015, 03:13:00 AM

Safari made really large snakes, lizards, ect all 1:1 and those sold alright from what I recall.

Those tend to be much less expensive though, and Safari has much better distribtuion (in general, although it could be better--even in Florida, of all places...)

Plus, again, familarity of animal--large snake a nd lizard toys make 'sense' to toy-buying parents. Guidraco may not have quite the same recognition with those same parents.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on November 09, 2015, 04:51:41 AM

Those tend to be much less expensive though, and Safari has much better distribution (in general, although it could be better--even in Florida, of all places...)

Plus, again, familiarity of animal--large snake a nd lizard toys make 'sense' to toy-buying parents. Guidraco may not have quite the same recognition with those same parents.

I don't know..to them it's just a big toothy winged dinosaur. It's all up the kids though. If they see it and want it it's almost sold.  I've "lost " two big rubber pteranodons, around 2' and 3' each I had as display pieces on a high shelf..came in to the shop one day and they were gone with a donation left for them.

Concavenator

Eh,it's not like I sell them.It's a gem,but seeing at the acquisitions threads,etc.I haven't seen that much people getting it.Plus,there's only a review of it on Youtube (excluding the one Minizoo posted).
Though I would love a Supreme Yi or Microraptor too.

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 09, 2015, 05:28:20 AM

Those tend to be much less expensive though, and Safari has much better distribution (in general, although it could be better--even in Florida, of all places...)

Plus, again, familiarity of animal--large snake a nd lizard toys make 'sense' to toy-buying parents. Guidraco may not have quite the same recognition with those same parents.

I don't know..to them it's just a big toothy winged dinosaur. It's all up the kids though. If they see it and want it it's almost sold.  I've "lost " two big rubber pteranodons, around 2' and 3' each I had as display pieces on a high shelf..came in to the shop one day and they were gone with a donation left for them.

Did they leave $30-$40 donations for those toys though? That's the MSRP of the Guidraco (depending on country). As far as I understand, your facility's store is a donation based one; if those Pteranodon had been tagged wtih a $30 tag, they may still be there.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on November 09, 2015, 02:10:25 PM

Did they leave $30-$40 donations for those toys though? That's the MSRP of the Guidraco (depending on country). As far as I understand, your facility's store is a donation based one; if those Pteranodon had been tagged wtih a $30 tag, they may still be there.

No idea what they left, they weren't marked and we work on the honor system so..there is no way to tell really.  But they were popular enough for a parent to reach up and get them down for their kids, that tells me that pterosaurs are popular to some extent and large ones at that.  Toys-r-us sells the same ones for 25.00 or so as far as price goes though.  I paid a bit less for my Guidracos but even at 40.00 I consider them a steal.

suspsy

Quote from: Concavenator on November 09, 2015, 07:03:38 AM
Eh,it's not like I sell them.It's a gem,but seeing at the acquisitions threads,etc.I haven't seen that much people getting it.Plus,there's only a review of it on Youtube (excluding the one Minizoo posted).

As CityRaptor said, this forum does not represent the dinosaur fandom as a whole. Nor does YouTube for that matter. We shall just have to wait and see if there is a Supreme in the works for 2016. I trust that you agree with me when I say that I hope I'm right and you're wrong.

Concavenator

Quote from: suspsy on November 09, 2015, 06:47:29 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on November 09, 2015, 07:03:38 AM

As CityRaptor said, this forum does not represent the dinosaur fandom as a whole. Nor does YouTube for that matter. We shall just have to wait and see if there is a Supreme in the works for 2016. I trust that you agree with me when I say that I hope I'm right and you're wrong.
Yes,I hope you're right!

Sim

Quote from: suspsy on November 07, 2015, 01:32:50 AM
Dinosaurs have been undergoing constant revision and redesign for decades. There are museums that still have outdated skeletons in their exhibits and paleoartists who have put months of hard work and harder-earned money into paintings and sculptures only to see them rendered obsolete by some new discovery. Does it therefore follow that all their efforts have been for nothing? Are William Stout's and Ely Kish's paintings a mere waste of canvas now that shrink wrapping is passé? Hardly. They were working with what they thought to be accurate at the time. And one of the coolest aspects about representing dinosaurs artistically is that you can get away with a certain degree of speculation.

I agree.  Although, this part of your post is a different matter to what we've been discussing, which is making toys based on fragmentary remains.  What you're saying is about restorations becoming outdated due to changing understanding of general dinosaur/animal anatomy.

The same applies to toys. CollectA has its humpless, pointy-beaked Deinocheirus. Wild Safari still manufactures its Velociraptor toy even though it's naked with pronated wrists. Battat is (or was) planning to reissue a Stegosaurus with eight spikes. Not to mention all the various Spinosaurus toys that have been made over the years. And as SBell noted, there wasn't a paleontologist alive in 2012 who would have imagined that Deinocheirus had a hump and a spoonbill. Everyone agreed with the notion that it was a giant ornithomimid. I think it's unfair to fault CollectA any more than it is to fault Safari for their CC Spinosaurus toys.

Adding to what I've said above, making a restoration of an animal known from more complete remains which becomes outdated due to something that couldn't have been known, is different from making a restoration of an animal known from very incomplete remains which becomes outdated due to having been based on fragmentary remains.  In the case of the former it couldn't be avoided, but with the latter it could've been avoided by choosing a relative known from better remains instead.

Despite being inaccurate due to things like being featherless and having pronated hands, that Wild Safari Velociraptor has the basic body shape right and is still recognisable as a Velociraptor.  This is due to Velociraptor being known from very complete remains.  The CollectA Deinocheirus is unrecognisable as the species it's intended to be, because it was based on just arms.  That WS Velociraptor has actually been criticised as it was released in 2008, while some dromaeosaur fossils with evidence of feathers were already known: Sinornithosaurus (1999), Microraptor (2000) and for what it's worth... Velociraptor (2007).  The fully feathered Carnegie Microraptor was even released two years before that featherless WS Velociraptor!  It would be great if Safari replaced it with a good up-to-date version!

Given how nicely sculpted the CollectA Deinocheirus is, imagine if they had made an ornithomimosaur known from more complete remains instead!  As far as I can recall there aren't any good up-to-date ornithomimosaur toys except for the very rare Favorite Pelecanimimus.  CollectA could have made a great toy of an ornithomimosaur, this is something that is not offered by any other company and would likely be popular and sought after due to the scarcity of ornithomimosaur toys, and... it would probably still be accurate now!  If they had done that, CollectA also wouldn't have to consider making a second Deinocheirus based on the new remains as they would be in the position to make their first one.

Yes, Spinosaurus is known from fragmentary remains.  It still is in fact, despite what all the attention it's been getting might suggest.  Spinosaurus has been a well-known and popular dinosaur for a long time (although not well-understood), that's why so many toys of it have been made despite its very incomplete remains.  However, you're completely right that Spinosaurus is in the same boat as Deinocheirus was until 2014.  The difference is that most toy companies rarely make toys based on fragmentary remains while CollectA has done this often and regularly.  One can have a diverse collection of fragmentary species just from CollectA toys!  Also, speaking of Spinosaurus and CollectA, has any company excluding JP made more toys of Spinosaurus than CollectA has?  Excluding repaints I can think of 7 different CollectA Spinosaurus!

Even if CollectA has made toys of fragmentary species more often, it isn't better when other companies do it.  I've only commented on CollectA making fragmentary animals because this thread is about CollectA's new figures for 2016, not those of other companies, and two of the new figures revealed so far are based on only a few bones.  Don't take it the wrong way suspsy, my posts about this have been expressing my surprise and puzzlement at CollectA continuing to regularly make fragmentary species after one of their best figures (Deinocheirus) was shown to be nothing like the animal they intended it to be.

I don't think Safari is responsible for the Carnegie Collection Spinosaurus toys as Safari only distributed the CC, they didn't own it.  Schleich distributed the CC in Europe in the first few years of the CC.  Safari decided to end its partnership with Carnegie, because Carnegie first made Safari stop selling non-Carnegie prehistoric mammals in order to keep their partnership, and later wanted Safari to end it's Wild Safari line completely in order to keep the partnership.  At this point I think Safari wasn't anything more than a distributor, for the Carnegie Collection.  Anyway, Safari made at least 4 Spinosaurus toys, they are responsible for those! :))

As for the Battat Stegosaurus, I understand why Dan LoRusso didn't want to make it a Stegosaurus stenops.  If he had made it for the toy though, the Battat Stegosaurus would probably be the best or one of the best toy version of the animal and sought after, like almost all the other Battat dinosaurs!  I really think so, especially given what Dan LoRusso's Stegosaurus stenops is like (photos of it can be seen here).

Please know that I do understand where you're coming from, Sim. Personally, I would have gone with Einiosaurus myself. And Centrosaurus definitely deserves a break. I'm baffled as to why no company has done one. But as it stands, I think the Mercuriceratops is an interesting and unusual choice. Perhaps Anthony Beeson just has a thing for obscure ceratopsians.

Perhaps Anthony Beeson does, but that doesn't explain why CollectA has made toys of many non-ceratopsian animals that are only known from fragmentary remains.  ;)

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 09, 2015, 05:48:51 PM

No idea what they left, they weren't marked and we work on the honor system so..there is no way to tell really.  But they were popular enough for a parent to reach up and get them down for their kids, that tells me that pterosaurs are popular to some extent and large ones at that.  Toys-r-us sells the same ones for 25.00 or so as far as price goes though.  I paid a bit less for my Guidracos but even at 40.00 I consider them a steal.

No argument there--but again, to us $40 is worth it; many parents would balk at that. Which is why it would be interesting to know what those parents left.

CityRaptor

Parents not wanting to buy an expensive figure like that makes sense. After all many kids are only in a "Dinosaur phase".
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on November 09, 2015, 10:30:59 PM

No argument there--but again, to us $40 is worth it; many parents would balk at that. Which is why it would be interesting to know what those parents left.

It would give some info. Like I said I do know Toys-r-us can sell 25-30.00 ones depending which size they have in stock. I have seen different ones there when I went to look for JW toys over summer.  Maybe Dan or Dejankins would have more info on how they are selling?

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 09, 2015, 10:56:01 PM
Quote from: SBell on November 09, 2015, 10:30:59 PM

It would give some info. Like I said I do know Toys-r-us can sell 25-30.00 ones depending which size they have in stock. I have seen different ones there when I went to look for JW toys over summer.  Maybe Dan or Dejankins would have more info on how they are selling?

I brought a small number into my online store, to see how they would go--and they sold out super fast, before my son could even buy one! Again, though, collectors.

suspsy

http://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2015/11/13/new-from-collecta-for-2016-part-2.html

ORNITHOMIMOSAURS!!!! BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL ORNITHOMIMOSAURS!!! ;D :)) :D

And Lythronax! Looks fantastic! I love the shaggy crests.

I could not care less about the fact that they are mounted on bases. Nor am I interested in hearing or responding to anyone's arguments against them. Right now I am simply overjoyed at the prospect of two new ornithomimosaurs, one of them a whopping 23 cm tall.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: