News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA New for 2016

Started by Everything_Dinosaur, November 06, 2015, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pawnosuchus

I know this subject has been beat to death but I will avoid for the most part buying figures with bases. Collecta has lost me as a customer for many of their pieces.  I've seen a plethora of fine pieces that can stand without bases. Don't like bases, never will. Just a personal preference.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Seems we go through this about once a year..usually at new figure time, should be a pinned post.  lol

Consumer - "My figure has too large feet/tripod pose/permanent base "

Manufacturer - " Okay we'll make them without those."

C- "My figure keeps falling over/has weak ankles/had to prop it up"

M -" So we go back to the big feet/bases,tripods?"

C- " Didn't like those and they were inaccurate too.."

M -" Shakes head"

If you don't want removable bases, glue em' to it.  If you do not want any bases cut them off..just a little work will go far in getting you something you like.  That said if you ever do want to remove a glued figure from a base, or the one you remove keeps falling over time..well.

Really not trying to sound mean here, it's just the way it is.

suspsy

Well said, Blade. I'm quite tired of the argument too.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Thanks.  I mean these are in the end TOYS , with certain properties that can't and won't meet every expectation.  Again sorry if I was being too blunt.

suspsy

I don't think you need to apologize, Blade. :)

I think it's clear from the 2016 assortment that CollectA has absolutely no plans to do away with bases. And hey, maybe 2017 will mark the triumphant return of dromaeosaurs. Dakotaraptor, Deinonychus, Austroraptor . . . I could care less if they were mounted on bases.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's wired in a bit heh.

I'm pretty good either way. Heck I've hung leaping dromeosaurs with wire from the ceiling..lol

MLMjp

Quote from: suspsy on February 26, 2016, 08:16:08 PM
I don't think you need to apologize, Blade. :)

I think it's clear from the 2016 assortment that CollectA has absolutely no plans to do away with bases. And hey, maybe 2017 will mark the triumphant return of dromaeosaurs. Dakotaraptor, Deinonychus, Austroraptor . . . I could care less if they were mounted on bases.

The question is...if they decide to....Will they give them primaries??? :o :o :o

I think the reason we haven´t got  dromeosaurs figures recently is because it´s better for companies  to avoid the "risk" of making a fully feathered dromeosaur that actually take it.

suspsy

Not so sure about that. The Carnegie Velociraptor seemed very popular in spite of its lack of primaries. And the upcoming Papo Velociraptor is hugely anticipated.

Blade-of-the-Moon

CollectA did give us a 4 legged Spinosaurus too..so I don't see them being shy at all about making dromeosaurs.

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on February 26, 2016, 07:53:33 PM
Well said, Blade. I'm quite tired of the argument too.

Thanks for that Blade. CollectA does what they do,m they do it well. it does make me wonder, since no one else makes most of these taxa anyway--what, exactly, are people making due with? Not wonder enough to actually want an answer mind you.

Roselaar

Speaking of which, sort of: has any other company produced a Torvosaurus or Mercuriceratops figure yet? If not, I'll have to add them to the USL. And what about Collecta's other obscure offerings for 2016?

Sim

Quote from: MLMjp on February 25, 2016, 08:48:58 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on February 25, 2016, 08:14:14 PM
Yeah, you're not supposed to remove the base, Collecta strongly implies. Too bad these figures suggest the bases are now of lesser quality.

Where they say that?

Thanks for the confirmation, Roselaar!  They're not for me then.  MLMjp, implying means to indicate or suggest something without saying it.

Quote from: suspsy on February 26, 2016, 03:58:38 AM
Given that CollectA has been making figures on non-removeable bases for years, I'm kind of puzzled as to why people are wondering if that's changed with this year's assortment.

If CollectA were to introduce removeable bases, they'd surely advertise it.

Earlier in this thread it was noticed some of the CollectA 2016 prehistoric figures looked like they might have pegs going into their feet from the bases in the pre-release photos.  That's why some people, myself included, thought, and hoped, CollectA might be introducing removable bases.

It seems CollectA is happy to make figures on permanent bases.  Not just on their prehistoric figures, as seen in the extant animals section of their 2016 catalogue.  I know some people don't mind them, and some even want them on figures.  So, I'm happy for those people, even if I dislike permanent bases to the point I won't want a figure on one.  :)

Rain

I prefer removable bases but I don't really mind permanent bases. What I do mind, however, are permanent bases that are bland, dull and boring. It's a shame as the figures attached to them are usually exceptional..so i'll buy em anyway  ^-^

suspsy

Quote from: Sim on February 27, 2016, 12:12:36 AMEarlier in this thread it was noticed some of the CollectA 2016 prehistoric figures looked like they might have pegs going into their feet from the bases in the pre-release photos.  That's why some people, myself included, thought, and hoped, CollectA might be introducing removable bases.

Being prototypes, they probably were just loosely pegged onto the bases. Prototypes are always bound to be slightly different from the final product.

It would be interesting if CollectA did take a stab at removeable bases. Would mean higher prices though.

SBell

Quote from: Rain on February 27, 2016, 12:20:59 AM
I prefer removable bases but I don't really mind permanent bases. What I do mind, however, are permanent bases that are bland, dull and boring. It's a shame as the figures attached to them are usually exceptional..so i'll buy em anyway  ^-^

Think of the bland base as an opportunity to be creative--a ittle glue, some gravel, twigs, moss or sticks, and it wouldn't take much to be a unique and interesting base.

If you're so inclined, of course. Me, I'm just happy to have figures that stand!

Roselaar

Just checked the Torvosaurus again to be sure I didn't miss anything. The feet are definitely glued to the base, I'm not seeing any pegs.

suspsy

Has anyone actually attempted to remove the original Feathered T. rex from its base and make it stand on its own?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on February 27, 2016, 06:07:39 PM
Has anyone actually attempted to remove the original Feathered T. rex from its base and make it stand on its own?

This is one piece I don't see working off it's base..the weight just looks too far to one side.  That said I haven't seen anyone attempt it yet.

stargatedalek

I think it could, it even retains its over-sized feet. A quick hot water treatment before removing it would be advisable though.

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 27, 2016, 06:27:34 PM
I think it could, it even retains its over-sized feet. A quick hot water treatment before removing it would be advisable though.

I'd be very curious to hear (and see) the actual results of such an experiment. Peter Leung told me last year that they had every intention of shipping the FTR without a base, but the production version simply would not stand up on its own. As Blade noted, the pose wouldn't allow it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: