News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA New for 2016

Started by Everything_Dinosaur, November 06, 2015, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Honestly I don't really care if the dinosaur can stand without a base or not just that it comes off it so I handle it without one. If they are attached to a base I prefer it looks nice, it's plenty possible to have bases that aren't distracting but aren't just generic yellow slabs. My favorite are clear bases personally.

amargasaurus cazaui

I am with Postie on this one, I will be getting this dinosaur for my shelf.
   I might even go for two, and get one Martinized....I keep looking at the base and thinking a bit of flat black paint, some sand and some turf material and a few sticks and stones from outside , and the base would be a mute matter anyways
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Bokisaurus

Well, I finally got some of the new figures, and I have to say they are absolutely wonderful figures!
No doubt, the best is the lovely Beishanlong, perhaps the most beautiful figures from CollectA to date. Everything about this figure is elegant.
[
[

Next up is Metriacanthosaurus - another beautiful figure, much much smaller than I have imagined it would be. Nicely detailed and again, very graceful.

Next up the Hunting Rex -which I think is the weakest of the lot. For me anyway, it just looks awkward and not as refines as the others. It makes me wonder if this was a much earlier figure that was just now being released, the sculpting just does't look like the newer ones.
[

Then we have the fabulously macabre dead T-Rex ;D
It is without a doubt a wonderful figure that may not be for everyone's taste. In size, this is the medium one, just between the Deluxe and hunting.
Beautiful attention to detail, yap, even that missing tiny arm that was bitten off ;D
[

Well, there you go. Theses figures are really exciting and I can't wait to see the next wave in person!
I leave you now with some comparison shots, enjoy ^-^
[]

Shonisaurus

Bokisaurus Thanks for the pictures. The tyrannosaurus cadaver looks terrific, just I say the beishanlong and metriaconthosaurus (although the latter is smaller than imagined).

Moreover, the tyrannosaurus rex youth hunting ... I agree with you is the weakest of the group number. Indeed lack the mercuriceratops.

On the other hand it needs to make a Deinocheirus deluxe (with its new and true appearance according to the latest paleontological discoveries) and a deluxe gigantoraptor, to form "quartet" along with the therizinosaurus and beishanlong. I said I like Collecta choose colors for your figures lately simpler than we previously had used.

terrorchicken

a question for you dino anatomy experts, were large theropods able to stand up on their tippy- toes like these 2 featherd T-rex figures are doing? Ive always seen theropod feet depicted as very sprawled out 3 toes and a small pad in the back like a large bird, but for all I know maybe those depictions are inaccurate.

MLMjp

Quote from: terrorchicken on March 06, 2016, 08:27:33 PM
a question for you dino anatomy experts, were large theropods able to stand up on their tippy- toes like these 2 featherd T-rex figures are doing? Ive always seen theropod feet depicted as very sprawled out 3 toes and a small pad in the back like a large bird, but for all I know maybe those depictions are inaccurate.

That´s because the figures are depicted in a running/walking pose, they can be in that pose as long as they are moving.

Concavenator

I don't think there is other figure from this year that is better than that incredible Beishanlong:o
Hopefully it'll win the title of the 'Best Figure of 2016'.Shame that feathered are not winners usually.

stargatedalek

The trick here seems to lie on your interpretation of birds. If you look at their skeletons even the birds rarely put their full weight on their entire toe (exception being zygodactyls like owls and woodpeckers).

Silvanusaurus

Where are people purchasing the new figures from?

SBell

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on March 06, 2016, 10:43:18 PM

The first wave is already released, but no North American distributors have brought them in yet (the Canadian one actually ceased selling Kroeger 2 weeks ago...this is not good news for my store :-\).

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: SBell on March 06, 2016, 10:48:31 PM

The first wave is already released, but no North American distributors have brought them in yet (the Canadian one actually ceased selling Kroeger 2 weeks ago...this is not good news for my store :-\).

I haven't been able to find them available on any UK/EU online stories, am I missing something?

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on March 07, 2016, 07:40:41 AM
Quote from: SBell on March 06, 2016, 10:48:31 PM

I haven't been able to find them available on any UK/EU online stories, am I missing something?

No, you are right.
For what I know the first wave of Collecta is already available at Minizoo (Australia) only.
I'm still waiting for an european reseller like Urzeitshop, Modellpferdeversand or EverythingDinosaurs to order them without extra Customs Taxes....

suspsy

Wonderful photos, Bokisaurus, as always! I must confess, I was thinking I'd pass on the Metriacanthosaurus, but now it's back on my list!

And yes, the Beishanlong is hands down the best figure of 2016.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Roselaar

Oh my, the Beishanlong is stunning! And so big... :)

terrorchicken

Quote from: MLMjp on March 06, 2016, 08:31:24 PM

That´s because the figures are depicted in a running/walking pose, they can be in that pose as long as they are moving.

I too was thinking that maybe its meant to be as if it was posed in mid stride...

QuoteThe trick here seems to lie on your interpretation of birds. If you look at their skeletons even the birds rarely put their full weight on their entire toe (exception being zygodactyls like owls and woodpeckers).

yeah...I was just curious b/c when you compare the feathered t-rexes feet to the one of the beishanlong, the metriacantho or the Safari masiakasaurus in Boki's pics the T-rexes looks like theyre standing on the very edge of their toes. It looks a bit weird, but I guess Im the only one who thinks so.  O:-)

amargasaurus cazaui

Probably still a little early to be calling any figure released only two months in as the "figure of the year, hands down" but it is a very nice model and may well be....I do like a few models this year for that place, but so far from Collecta this would be their best offering ....I like that they did this one for sure.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

suspsy

I'd agree with that sentiment if we were unaware as to what all the other companies had in store for us this year, but unless there are some surprises up a sleeve or two, I think people are within reason to call the Beishanlong the best of 2016. Opinions will vary, of course. I'm very keen to see more images of the Deinocheirus. And the Papo Feathered Velociraptor.

Kovu

We're not exactly sure what Battat will release this year though. If last year was any indication, there may be at least two waves in 2016, and if they include any of the new sculpts, well, personally I think the Pentaceratops, Europasaurus and Nasutoceratops could give the CollectA Beishanlong a run for its money.

I am very keen on seeing the Deinocheirus. I may be getting my first CollectA with that one...

suspsy

Quote from: Kovu on March 08, 2016, 03:20:53 AM
We're not exactly sure what Battat will release this year though. If last year was any indication, there may be at least two waves in 2016, and if they include any of the new sculpts, well, personally I think the Pentaceratops, Europasaurus and Nasutoceratops could give the CollectA Beishanlong a run for its money.

They all look like great figures, but unless the final products have some insane new level of sculpting detail that isn't visible in the photos we've seen, they simply don't compare to the Beishanlong. They also don't compare to it in terms of novelty for that matter. You can easily toss out a basketball and hit any number of ceratopsian or sauropod figures, but ornithomimosaurs?

The Gigantoraptor would stand a better chance of competing with the Beishanlong than those three you listed.

Kovu

Quote from: suspsy on March 08, 2016, 03:33:33 AM
They all look like great figures, but unless the final products have some insane new level of sculpting detail that isn't visible in the photos we've seen, they simply don't compare to the Beishanlong. They also don't compare to it in terms of novelty for that matter. You can easily toss out a basketball and hit any number of ceratopsian or sauropod figures, but ornithomimosaurs?

The Gigantoraptor would stand a better chance of competing with the Beishanlong than those three you listed.

Agree to disagree on the level of sculpting detail. But I will agree with you on the novelty, an ornithomimosaur is much more of a novelty than a ceratopsian or sauropod.

From an objective standpoint, I agree that the Beishanlong will probably win the PT award at the end of the year. Its a unique species made by CollectA, which is kept up on a pedestal by a large portion of the collector market.

Could also see the safari Plesiosuchus placing as well, or maybe the Iguanodon, or the CollectA Deinocheirus...
I'm actually super excited for that one. Like, really excited. Like might get two to have an original and a custom done.

I'm hesitant to put money on Rebor winning any award for figure of the year. From my understanding, it's largely collector-voted, and while Rebor certainly has a large (and vocal) following, I feel their PR approach has probably alienated a lot of potential voters, regardless of their product quality.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: