News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Best/Worst Documentaries

Started by Brontozaurus, May 15, 2012, 12:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HD-man

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 01, 2016, 04:24:36 AMand they didn't even attempt to feather anything. That was honestly the weakest episode of DP by a long shot so that's an unfair comparison.

1stly (in reference to WWD), see the Martil/Naish quote.

2ndly (in reference to DP), yes, "Little Das' Hunt" was the weakest episode. However, it wasn't the only scientifically inaccurate episode: http://dml.cmnh.org/2003Dec/msg00267.html

Quote from: Patrx on January 26, 2016, 03:35:00 PMToday's episode of "Thagomizers" seems relevant to this topic!

Many thanks for posting that. It sums up why I don't care for most dino docs & haven't for a while. The most obvious examples of bad dino docs (I.e. AA, COTD, JFC, MR) have already been mentioned, so here are some bad dino docs that haven't been mentioned AFAIK:
-All of Nigel Marven's dino docs (I.e. CBD, CBSM, PP): http://www.anorbitalgrouse.com/video/nigel/
-Animal Armageddon: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/AnimalArmageddon
-Dino Gangs: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/DinoGangs
-Dino Lab: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/DinoLab
-Giant Monsters: http://dml.cmnh.org/2003Mar/msg00091.html
-MONSTERQUEST: The Last Dinosaur: http://stephendsullivan.blogspot.com/2009/07/monsterquest-last-dinosaur.html
-Valley of the T-Rex: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/ValleyOfTheTRex

Quote Martill/Naish (See Walking with Dinosaurs: The Evidence - How Did They Know That?):
QuoteWhy is the Ornitholestes in Walking with Dinosaurs shown with quills?
Ornitholestes in Walking with Dinosaurs was provided with erectile quill-like structures, something like stiff feathers. The presence of these structures reflects recent discoveries made about the life appearance of such small theropods. The close affinity that coelurosaurs have with birds, and the possibility that they might have been 'warm blooded', had previously led to the suggestion that they might have had a covering of feather-like structures, or perhaps even true feathers. Spectacular discoveries made in Early Cretaceous rocks of China appear to confirm these ideas. Here, a variety of small coelurosaurs are preserved with feathers or feather-like structures adorning their bodies. Consequently, the Ornitholestes in Walking with Dinosaurs was given feather-like quills.
By inference, the other small theropods in Walking with Dinosaurs should also have been reconstructed with quills. However, many scientists still say that further work is needed before we can be sure that these structures really were feather-like and not, for example, internal skin fibres of some kind.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

goodlife18

Quote from: HD-man on January 31, 2016, 09:46:32 PM
You say that as if I'm singling you out when I'm clearly not. As indicated by my previous posts, I'm just doing the same as most everyone else here (I.e. Answering questions, correcting misleading/wrong things, offering constructive criticism). That's how it works in both internet forums & scientific discussions (good ones, anyway) & that's how we learn. If you don't like being corrected or getting answers that contradict your preconceived notions (Ie. Learning), then you don't have to participate in internet forums or scientific discussions, though I'm sorry if you feel that way. I'm also sorry if you thought I was being caustic, but I wasn't AFAICT. Blunt, maybe, but never sarcastic or bitter. I thought I made that clear when I said "No offense".

Sir, I think you have already proven your point  and you have already said more than enough.  But now what you are doing is that you are getting combative and feel a need to justify yourself. I am not referring to the discussion on scientific theories etc, but your need to answer me when I said that you were being blunt.  Like I said, you could have just read through and just ignored what I said. Also, participation doesn't mean you need to address every user and every sentence. You can just read a post and not comment on anything and instead post something else related to the main topic at hand or address other users. . I know a forum is a place where you correct or answer others but at the very least be mindful of your tone and choice of words. And you are right, I don't have to participate, I'll be leaving soon. Anyway let's not drag this further.  Fullstop.   Adieu.

Fembrogon

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 29, 2012, 12:50:39 AM
I think that WWD and related programs are the best, although they would have been better with feathered dinosaurs. (I mean other species, not on the utahraptor although that would be nice).
The worst documentary of all for me would be "When Dinosaurs Ruled..." It airs on the Science Channel regularly, generally in the morning hours. The CGI is #1 on the list of the worst and the narration doesn't sound the greatest.  Luckily, there are some not as well known dinosaurs there, such as ones from their Australia and Antarctica episode.   
I can't bring myself to call "When Dinosaurs Ruled..." one of the worst; it holds too much nostalgia for me. I saw it on Assignment Discovery back in the late 90's, and I never got tired of it (especially the South America episode). It's pretty dated now, but I like that Science Channel runs it again. I wouldn't mind seeing more old documentaries be re-broadcast.

Speaking of old documentaries, I finally watched "Dinosaur!" today. While I had seen clips of Phil Tippet's animation in other media, it was delightful to see it complete in its original context. The information presented almost seems quaint now, but it did a nice job covering a lot of things, I think.
Good grief, did Bakker and Currie look young.  :))

JurassicGeek09

I like the Nigel Marven docs. Not always accurate, but they're good fun.
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

Takama

I have not seen any more Documentarys lately.

But I did watch a few on Netflix a year or two ago about non dinosaurs.

The first was Titanoboa. Which i thought was very good, and very intriguing. The animation was not the best, but i think that the fact they took the whole thing seriously helps.

Then i watched Supercroc which i think may have been the inspiration to Titanoboa because it seems so similar to that documentary only it came out earlier and has even crappier CGI

And then thers Dinosaur 13, which is a lot diffrent, but very engrossing and i did learn a bit more about the history of Sue the T.Rex

Viergacht

I liked that one hosted by Walter Cronkite, with the kind of wonky puppet dinos. If I recall correctly, the info was good for the time although there was a lot of speculative stuff presented as fact. The funniest bit was at the end, in which a Dinosauroid version of Cronkite presented a news item of how humans, panicking at climate changes caused by pollution, caused their own extinction via nuclear war. Migratory birds survived safely, however, and eventually evolved into new species including the Dinosauroid!  :))

Flaffy

Planet Dinosaur was a good BBC documentary.
And who can forget the classic Walking With Dinosaurs? ;D

Cloud the Dinosaur King

The best has to be Dinosaur Revolution because episodes 2 and 4 tell the stories of an individual dinosaur based on scientific evidence. I also love the animations and the detailing.

The worst is Jurassic Fight Club for so many reasons.

Neosodon

No documentary comes close to WWD BBC. It's the only movie that really made dinosaurs feel like real animals rather than monsters from a cheesy action movie. Dinosaur revolution wasn't as in depth WWD and was geared more toward general audiences or younger kids that just wanted to see some quick fast paced action and drama. I enjoyed watching it but I wouldn't really call it the best.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Flaffy

Dinosaur Revolutions left a bad taste in my mouth, not as bad as some other 'documentaries' have, but the childish script and the unrealistic actions of the creatures portrayed most of the time is off putting to me.
It was no where near the best documentary in my book.

Brontozaurus

I feel like if Dinosaur Revolution had been allowed to be what it was originally envisioned as (basically a TV version of the Age of Reptiles comic), we wouldn't be so harsh on it. Because even with the documentary trappings forced on it, it's clearly meant to be just a series of stories about dinosaurs.

Man, now I'm just thinking about all the stories the DR team said got axed by executive meddling and it's making me sad.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Flaffy

Walking With Dinosaurs 3D anyone?

CityRaptor

Another example of executive meddling. David Krentz is really unlucky when it comes to that.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Neosodon

Not to be confused with Planet Dinosaur, Dinosaur Planet would be my second favorite. They did a total of 4 videos telling the life story of different dinosaurs. Alpha's Egg was my favorite.
https://youtu.be/Lsn2-GoSdeM

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Neosodon on March 17, 2017, 03:11:31 PM
Not to be confused with Planet Dinosaur, Dinosaur Planet would be my second favorite. They did a total of 4 videos telling the life story of different dinosaurs. Alpha's Egg was my favorite.
https://youtu.be/Lsn2-GoSdeM
I like Dragonfly the most even though he is a villain. He is just very cool looking and very smart(although not smart enough to grab onto the injured leg of a 2 ton Saltasaurus.

CrypticPrism

My best: Prehistoric Park. I just watched it through and wow. The color schemes are much better than WWD, it had an amazing concept, and good lord, I can't get enough of Nigel Marvin and his adventures. Next: Dinosaur Planet: obscure dinosaurs, relative accuracy for the time, it's great!

Worst: JFC. It's quite possibly the most horrendous thing related to dinosaurs I've ever seen. That describes it all. Next: Monsters ressurected Mesozoic episodes: the Cenozoic episodes were awesome, but the Mesozoic just kinda......failed. When a (then) 7 year old me saw it, I just cringed the whole time.
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: CrypticPrism on April 15, 2017, 01:38:46 AM
My best: Prehistoric Park. I just watched it through and wow. The color schemes are much better than WWD, it had an amazing concept, and good lord, I can't get enough of Nigel Marvin and his adventures. Next: Dinosaur Planet: obscure dinosaurs, relative accuracy for the time, it's great!

Worst: JFC. It's quite possibly the most horrendous thing related to dinosaurs I've ever seen. That describes it all. Next: Monsters ressurected Mesozoic episodes: the Cenozoic episodes were awesome, but the Mesozoic just kinda......failed. When a (then) 7 year old me saw it, I just cringed the whole time.
I saw Monster's Resurrected when I was 7 as well and I felt the same way. I especially cringed at the part where the Elasmosaurus gets its head bitten off. Boy we do have a lot in common! We are the same age and we both have a hobby for dinosaurs.

CrypticPrism

"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."

Neosodon

I've never heard of a dinosaur documentary called JFC. Is it an abbreviation for something?

CrypticPrism

Jurassic Fight Club.

Uuugh. It makes me want to vomit just seeing the title.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: