News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Sculpts from Blue Dinos

Started by Redonix76, December 24, 2015, 12:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobber

Wow Redonix76, these look fabulous! I'm gonna try and save up for the Carno. Any ideas on what #3 will be? Are you going to try and go with a different group again? Like maybe a Sauropod? Personally, love carnivores...why not go with an Allosaurus like what is in your description.  ;)

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Viking Spawn

That is a very impressive bust!   However, I also hope you consider turning this art into a full figure too!   That would be beautiful!

Redonix76

Thanks guys!!

Takama - I'm with you on that! Allosaurus is definitely one of my top choices.

Dobber - I really appreciate it!! For teh 3rd bust, I'm not sure yet, but I guarantee it'll look cool!

Viking - Not a problem! I'll definitely do a full sculpt in a few weeks! I'm very excited to get started!! I'll need to get my 2nd bust molded and make a few casts and test paints first lol.

Albertosaurus

Wow Paul that latest bust looks amazing! The only thing that worries me a bit is the nose horn. It looks like it is not connected to the face somehow...but I guess that it is still work in progress.
I love the idea of the busts. Ceratopsians for example are very similar in body shapes, being their heads the main difference between them. I would love to collect a series of dinosaur busts to be honest, specially ceratopsians, so if you continue the line, I will buy them for sure.

reinier zwanink

I personaly am a sauropod and stego fan bur this really looks amazing
No wonder they ask for full sculpts with this level of detail
Amazing work
I wonder wat would happen if martin garrat got one in hand

Albertosaurus

Quote from: reinier zwanink on January 19, 2016, 11:53:50 AM
I personaly am a sauropod and stego fan bur this really looks amazing
No wonder they ask for full sculpts with this level of detail
Amazing work
I wonder wat would happen if martin garrat got one in hand

That is exactly my plan, buy the bust and send it to Martin asap!

Redonix76

Reinier - Thank you so much! I'm also excited to do a full body sculpt! Hopefully I can get one done by the end of Feb.

Albertosaurus - I totally agree with you! The thing was the front horn was smaller so I decided to make it bigger but now it's a bit off...I will play with it to make sure it look more natural and connected. Thanks   for the crit!

I totally agree with the both of you...It would be an honor for Martin to paint one of my sculpts! I only hope that my own painting skills will improve to his level one day lol.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Just saw your Carno bust reviewed in PT, very cool!

Takama

Redonix, if you do full sized models, can you do them in a Smaller scale like 1:30?

Redonix76

Blade - Thanks for watching the review! I want to eventually be able to sculpt something for everyone!

Takama -  1/30 scale is definitely doable for me! I'll Probably make a few different scales just to cover the common sizes that people are looking for.

Whats the common scale you get from Papo, 1/40 - 1/30? Do you think the more expensive price point (being hand made) is worth it at these scale?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Redonix76 on January 20, 2016, 05:14:14 AM
Blade - Thanks for watching the review! I want to eventually be able to sculpt something for everyone!

Takama -  1/30 scale is definitely doable for me! I'll Probably make a few different scales just to cover the common sizes that people are looking for.

Whats the common scale you get from Papo, 1/40 - 1/30? Do you think the more expensive price point (being hand made) is worth it at these scale?

Some are 1:40, smaller species are usually larger while bigger ones are made smaller.

It all depends. Your pandering to a niche market, many don't have funds for 30.00 much less 100-200.00 pieces. You will possibly sell more at a smaller size with a cheaper price point. Other collectors, though fewer can pay more for larger pieces..it can sort of even out but it's up to you and what you produce exactly vs which section of this already niche market you will attract.

DinoLord

Some 1:40 sauropod sculpts would be nice.

Viking Spawn

Quote from: DinoLord on January 20, 2016, 02:23:10 PM
Some 1:40 sauropod sculpts would be nice.

I agree.  And I would also like see added are some Theropods, Thyreophora, Ornithopods and Ceratopsian.  I know, I know....  Slow down............

Redonix76

Thanks for the comments guys! I think the thing I want to do the most is not just what I want or like but what you guys think is interesting and new. I totally agree with you Viking, the species you've mentioned don't get enough attention and I want to fill that void.

Anyways, after some feedback on my Regaliceratops, she's been updated and finalized. I will start making the mold soon and once I get a few copies out, I'll update you guys with my color scheme tests. Even though she's slightly bigger and uses a bit more material than the Carnotaurus, I'll keep the price the same once she's ready.

Thanks for checking out my posts guys!! Please keep the comments and suggestions coming! I want to hear what you're interested in!

nwfonseca

Nice sculpts, I love the Regaliceratops!

I see you do your own molding and casting? That is crazy. Although I have considered doing it with 2 piece molds, but I am too unsure of the multi piece ones "hence hiring the mold maker". I don't trust myself. Mold makers do it for a living and know exactly what they are doing. I would be way too terrified to try it on my Anzu. I also see that you have a pressure pot, or is it a degassing chamber? That is another thing I don't have access to or the money for. Though it is very important for creating bubble free molds. Even with brush on molds I ended up with bubbles. Never mind bubbles in the castings, I've never been able to get what is acceptable for me. That, and I have a home studio and children. I am not sure I want all the chemicals in there with them being in the house.

Well, your sculpts are very good, keep em coming.

Thanks again for the kind words on the Deinonychus! 

Takama

How small and big are you willing to sculpt.      Can you do a 1:30 velociraptor and a Brontosaurus

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Redonix76 on January 20, 2016, 09:45:53 PM
Thanks for the comments guys! I think the thing I want to do the most is not just what I want or like but what you guys think is interesting and new. I totally agree with you Viking, the species you've mentioned don't get enough attention and I want to fill that void.

Anyways, after some feedback on my Regaliceratops, she's been updated and finalized. I will start making the mold soon and once I get a few copies out, I'll update you guys with my color scheme tests. Even though she's slightly bigger and uses a bit more material than the Carnotaurus, I'll keep the price the same once she's ready.

Thanks for checking out my posts guys!! Please keep the comments and suggestions coming! I want to hear what you're interested in!

Is funding an issue with your business?  Making what we here find new and interesting might not be the best sellers.  If you want to make funds do a kickass T-Rex..or for something still popular and newer a Spinosaurus or Giganotosaurus.  Those big theropods tend to sell well.  Once you make bank on some popular species then you can afford to release less popular but no less interesting species. 

If you don't already I would establish a website/facebook page to help with advertising too.  Just some general tips.

PaleoMatt

A great species to get started on for 1:40/1:30 is definitley a large theropod, sauropod + ornithischian.

I would recommend Giganotosaurus, Brachiosaurus (Not Girafititan!) and Edmontosaurus annectens.

MLMjp

Quote from: TE Matt on January 21, 2016, 07:31:03 PM
A great species to get started on for 1:40/1:30 is definitley a large theropod, sauropod + ornithischian.

I would recommend Giganotosaurus, Brachiosaurus (Not Girafititan!) and Edmontosaurus annectens.

Edmontosaurus annectens!!!!!!!!!!!

Redonix76

Blade - Thanks for the tips!! Funds are not an issue for me since I still work full time in the game industry...sigh lol. My plan is the be able to make this a full time gig and not have to worry about funds. So want I'll be thinking about is like you said, which species make money and which wont make that much money but still fun to make. I'll definitely keep you guys posted on that. Also I have a facebook page with a little over 100 likes...looking for more of course so if you can please like my page!

https://www.facebook.com/bluedinos/

Takama - I also believe that 1/30 will be my go to scale for a full sculpt. I'll need to do some research on best ways to chop up and make molds at that sale also. Personalyl I like making molds, it's fun and challenging, so I wont have any problems there lol.

TE Matt - I agree with you and Blade...Large Theropods and Sauropods will be great sculpts and could bring in more sales.

MLMjp - I hear you on that!! Edmontosaurus would also be a popular sculpt.

Question for you guys: Since a species like T-Rex are super popular and are all over...what differences would you guys like to see that makes it stand out from the rest? I really like the "Tyrant King T-Rex" from Sideshow since it has lots of characters and not so typical looking like other statues. Thanks!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: