News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Sculpts from Blue Dinos

Started by Redonix76, December 24, 2015, 12:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Redonix76 on January 21, 2016, 08:02:30 PM
Blade - Thanks for the tips!! Funds are not an issue for me since I still work full time in the game industry...sigh lol. My plan is the be able to make this a full time gig and not have to worry about funds. So want I'll be thinking about is like you said, which species make money and which wont make that much money but still fun to make. I'll definitely keep you guys posted on that. Also I have a facebook page with a little over 100 likes...looking for more of course so if you can please like my page!

https://www.facebook.com/bluedinos/

Takama - I also believe that 1/30 will be my go to scale for a full sculpt. I'll need to do some research on best ways to chop up and make molds at that sale also. Personalyl I like making molds, it's fun and challenging, so I wont have any problems there lol.

TE Matt - I agree with you and Blade...Large Theropods and Sauropods will be great sculpts and could bring in more sales.

MLMjp - I hear you on that!! Edmontosaurus would also be a popular sculpt.

Question for you guys: Since a species like T-Rex are super popular and are all over...what differences would you guys like to see that makes it stand out from the rest? I really like the "Tyrant King T-Rex" from Sideshow since it has lots of characters and not so typical looking like other statues. Thanks!

Will your T-Rex have jaw articulation?  If not, I'd say something with a closed mouth.  It seems most figures have the creature roaring in beast mode. 

Also, I know a lot of people here like feather accuracy.  This is where it may be tricky.  Were they feathered like a bald eagle or on the flip side of the argument, only slightly feathered (proto-feathers?).  Perhaps they had a feathered mane like a lion since there is evidence they fought one another which a mane served to protect its neck?  Whatever you do, please don't have an awful paint app like what CollectA did with their feathered T-Rex.  That is such a nicely sculpted piece ruined by those colors.

However, if you decide to go with the more popular vintage look, I too, like the Sideshow statue. 

PaleoMatt

Quote from: MLMjp on January 21, 2016, 07:51:46 PM
Quote from: TE Matt on January 21, 2016, 07:31:03 PM
A great species to get started on for 1:40/1:30 is definitley a large theropod, sauropod + ornithischian.

I would recommend Giganotosaurus, Brachiosaurus (Not Girafititan!) and Edmontosaurus annectens.

Edmontosaurus annectens!!!!!!!!!!!
My favourite hadrosaur :D

PaleoMatt

For a unique rex I think it would be great to see an old t.rex with battle scars but still accurate with feathers. And maybe a small baby with him too. You could even name your sculpts like Rebor and there could be 3 pieces per set that are sold individually like a male, a female and a nest with a youngster each with defining features like battle scars or an interesting pose to give them character. Or you could give him a Triceratops rival  who has a t rex bite mark and the t rex having a horn wound. Really the possibilities are endless!

Redonix76

Viking Spawn - What I'm making is essentially a statue/Maquette so there wont be any articulation. I also agree about the closed mouth...they looks more natural and are more realistic since most living thing keep their mouth closed unless eating, talking, or scaring away something. But it's all in the pose and if it's appropriate to have it open or not.

I also agree that there's pro feathers and anti feathers people. Scientifically, yes they have feather, but how much we dont really know. I tend to believe through evolution they went from non-feathered to feathered, and base on this I think both are correct depending on what stage of the evolution the animal is in.

PS: CollectA's T-Rex color scheme is too goofy for my taste. To me it doesn't make sense for a large predator to display so much color. Animals today uses color for mating or for scaring away predators generally speaking.

TE Matt - I totally agree with you. Battle scars and being able to tell a story with the sculpts will be a great way to put interests into the pieces.
I'll definitely keep this in mind!

Thanks for the comments!

Blade-of-the-Moon

T-Rex is going to be tough.  There are so many ways we've seen him already. We've had old, young, prime of life, vicious..just hard to tell where to go.   

Scenarios that haven't been shown in a commercially available 3D format are :

Pterosaur teeth cleaning ( hypothetical)
swimming
feeding/protecting young
mating
sleeping
eating/scavenging
post asteroid hit ( hypothetical)

I would say pick an interesting scene and build a character around it. How did it get to this point, can any evidence of this be shown?

Despite our best theories there is no definitive answer as to whether T-Rex had feathers. So I'd say for now that aspect and to what degree is totally up to you.

Redonix76

Blade - Thanks for the facebook like by the way! You have really great ideas!! The one that stands out for me is protecting/feeding a young. If I can accomplish that nurturing moment in my sculpt...I have no doubt that it'll be a great success! To be honest, I've been trying to stay away from T-Rex's because it's been done adn the whole feather issues, but because of your comment, I'm re-thinking my plans lol. Thanks!!!

Viking Spawn

Whatever you decide for the King of the Dinosaurs, I'll be looking forward to seeing him/her/it!  From what I've seen of your works so far, I know its going to be fantastic!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Redonix76 on January 21, 2016, 11:59:08 PM
Blade - Thanks for the facebook like by the way! You have really great ideas!! The one that stands out for me is protecting/feeding a young. If I can accomplish that nurturing moment in my sculpt...I have no doubt that it'll be a great success! To be honest, I've been trying to stay away from T-Rex's because it's been done adn the whole feather issues, but because of your comment, I'm re-thinking my plans lol. Thanks!!!

Not a problem. I've been through a lot of similar situations multiple times with other new artists to this genre so I have some experience your free to use if you like.  Seeing your work in PT let me know you were serious too.   I'm sure you can capitalize on the parental bond element in a unique way.  Just look at all the different ways a parent shows they care.  You can do so much in a realistic way, more in a more character driven attempt.

Redonix76

Blade - Thanks again for all of your help! Also thanks for reminding me about PT, I haven't received my issue yet, but hopefully soon! Excited!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Redonix76 on January 22, 2016, 02:31:20 AM
Blade - Thanks again for all of your help! Also thanks for reminding me about PT, I haven't received my issue yet, but hopefully soon! Excited!

i pay a little more for first class, if you have the other option it should arrive this week.  :)

DinoLord

Personally I would absolutely love a sculpt of the Barosaurus vs Allosaurus scene at the AMNH. A Quetzalcoatlus would also be neat - you could sculpt it so it pairs with a T. rex (if you do sculpt one).

Now that I think of it, some standalone figures that pair well with others could be a neat idea. Some other examples I can think of are Yangchuanosaurus with Mamenchisaurus, Sauroposeidon with Acrocanthosaurus, and Shantungosaurus with Zuchengtyrannus. And the herbivore doesn't necessarily have to be the victim in these situations.

Some other genera that would be neat to see:
Giraffatitan brancai
Torvosaurus tanneri
Hadrosaurus foulkii
Dryptosaurus aquilinguis
Wuerhosaurus homheni

Redonix76

Blade -  aaaaaah ok I got it...I remember that option and I decided to go the cheapo route. Thanks!!

DinoLord - Thanks for the suggestions!!! Being able to put different sculpts together into a bigger diorama is an awesome idea! If this is the case, I'll need to figure out what scale would work out best and the story it's going to tell. I'll keep you updated for sure!

Takama

Barosaurus VS Allosaurus is being done to death.    Another Artist just started to recreate the scene for his own line.

May i make a suggestion and put a twist on this.   Make it Saurophagonax Vs Supersaurus

Or Try a species that s NEVER been done before

Galeamopus vs Torvosaurus. These two lived in the same state at least

DinoLord

Quote from: Takama on January 22, 2016, 08:25:47 PM
Barosaurus VS Allosaurus is being done to death.    Another Artist just started to recreate the scene for his own line.

Really? I haven't seen it very much in model form. The only two I can think of are the (now retired and very hard-to-find/expensive) Kaiyodo kit and Galileo's kit from a few years ago (back when the controversy over him not shipping out products was very much alive). But then growing up under an hour from the AMNH I have a special affinity for the scene.  ;)

Whatever species you choose, I think telling a story through various figures would be a pretty unique feature about your figures. So far the only companies that really do so are Sideshow and Rebor, the former of which is demanding on both the wallet and display space and the latter which often leaves much to be desired in terms of accuracy and quality control (figures not falling face first even with a base).

Takama

Chinese Artist Lu Feng Shen Just started his Own model of Barosaurus to be made for his line of models. I asked him if he was planning on doing the whole scene and he said yes he was.     So that makes another copy of this diorama.

I think Barosaurus vs Allosaurus has become as cliche as Triceratops Vs T.Rex

Blade-of-the-Moon

Hmm..being an Allosaurus fan-boy I can weigh in a bit.

I have to agree with Dinolord, the Kaiyodo I've never seen in person or for sale anywhere. The piece by Galileo was nice if small ( sadly he still seems to have the same issues with shipping/getting product out I've heard. )

I didn't know Lu Feng Shen was doing one, would have to look into that.

I don't think there are nearly enough commercially available pieces to say Barosaurus VS Allosaurus is cliche, I mean I don't own one Barosaurus replica.  Allosaurus vs Stegosaurus is much more common to me.

DinoLord

Lu Feng Shen's sculpts are great but they're extremely expensive and I don't know anyone who owns the larger ones. And Barosaurus is generally a very underrepresented species. The only model I have is the little 1/100 Kaiyodo DinoLand vinyl. I also don't see it as a cliche combination; beyond the two kits I mentioned along with the AMNH mount and accompanying illustrations on display there I haven't seen any depictions of it.

Redonix76

Hey guys, very good information for me to look into! I'll definitely be hitting you guys up for more opinions for my future sculpts.

Here is a quick look at my mold making process...well actually almost done with the first half of it. Just need to build it up then put in walls before I can pour the silicone. Just wanted to share some of my process to keep you guys entertained lol.

Blade-of-the-Moon

cool, looks like it's encased in stone..lol

Viking Spawn

How interesting.  Always love to see how a work in progress is done.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: