News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Sculpts from Blue Dinos

Started by Redonix76, December 24, 2015, 12:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albertosaurus

That nose horn looks way better now! I love the sculpt. Please delight us with more progress shots!
Imagine how epic could it be a collection of ceratopsian busts put together in the shelf.

Dobber

Oh my, Tyrannosaurus  is my fav. I'd absolutely love to see one from you. Recently I've really started liking the feathered look so that would be my vote. As for a pose how about stretched out like it is in a quick stride or about to grab something or about to make a threat display.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Viking Spawn

Redonix76

Thanks for the suggestions guys!! Takama, that list is great really helps give me ideas on future sculpts!

Redonix76

Hey guys, here is a quick update of the mold making process...clay are all in and walls made. To make keys I pokes holes into the clay. Next is the pour the first side of the silicone. Should be able to get the mold done soon and will post an update.

Dobber

My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Takama

I just want to say for you first model, the Carnotarus is indeed a work of art, but it is not the most accurate out there.   It looks far too Robust when the animal had a more Thin looking Skull.

dont take this the wrong way, we as a Community of Dinosaur Enthusiasts like to nitpick the accuracy in pieces just for fun. and i realize that this is just your interpretation of the animal.

But your Regliceratops looks perfect.  ;)

Redonix76

Hi Takama, It s good observation but in my opinion, following fossil is not the best thing to do. Fossils are put under tremendous pressure and warping can occur which can be seen sometimes when a skeletal specimen looks flatten. I'm not say that its not that thin based on the skull in the photo, it looks extremely thin in my opinion.

Another thing is the horns. Horns are not made of bones but of hair like cells which through time can possibly erode away and look smaller. I'm a firm believer that many species even though have same structure it's proportions are quite different to differentiate it's individuality.

As I've mentioned before as an artist and not a paleontologist, I've sculpted based on my own interpretations of what I think something may look like based on bones and what have done before.

Here's a though, if every artists out there take actual bone specimens and it's structure and creates art 100% based on what they all see...I would think that everyone's artwork will look almost the same with no individuality what so ever. They may all be super accurate, but in my opinion, not realistic since we don't know what they all look like or how different they all look from on another of the same species.

Again, guys I'm all for museum quality works of art which are dictated by specimens found. The thing is I find that boring and is not what I'm trying to achieve. I'm not looking for scientific accuracy, but artistic one of a kind sculpt that has character and are different from what others have done, in one way or another.

Kayakasaurus

As long as the bones fit inside, its scientifically accurate. Science doesn't have much more to say regarding what dinosaurs looked like. It's scientific to assume there was skin, muscle, vocalization, and it would be unscientific to assume there weren't any other neat features. Your carno head is off, but I don't mind cuz it looks great, I think you'll find the more interested in Dinosaurs you get, you're work will just keep being more and more accurate. Keep thinking outside the box!
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Redonix76

Kayakasaurus I totally agree. The Carnotaurus was inspired by the Disney version which is more T-Rex like than real so I understand that its not correct.

As an artist I'm always finding ways to improve so I promise future sculpts will more accurate but still keeps my interpretation and tastes.

Thanks!

Redonix76

Hey guys,

Here is the final mold...looks pretty good but didn't get a change to make a cast yet. I'll post the first test cast tonight. Thanks!

Patrx

Quote from: Redonix76 on January 21, 2016, 08:02:30 PM
Question for you guys: Since a species like T-Rex are super popular and are all over...what differences would you guys like to see that makes it stand out from the rest? I really like the "Tyrant King T-Rex" from Sideshow since it has lots of characters and not so typical looking like other statues. Thanks!

Just now looking through this topic, I like your work, particularly the new Regaliceratops :)
If you really want to make a Tyrannosaurus that stands out, the answer surely lies in feathers! There are a few T. rex figures out there that have feathers, but not many that really look like feathered animals. Check out some current palaeoart from experts like Mark Witton:

Note also the calm poses and the lip tissue that covers the teeth when the mouth is closed. Traditional palaeoart has tried to present tough, "scary-looking" dinosaurs  ::) Going the other way is a great way to stand out in the crowd! There are a few 2D artists taking up the task, but fewer sculptors.

DinoLord

Calm poses are definitely a good factor. Another thing are signs of a rough-and-tumble life - scars and such. Two of my favorite T. rex sculpts - Shinzen's elderly T. rex and Krent's Sideshow statue - have such features. It adds a lot of character.

Viking Spawn

Quote from: DinoLord on January 25, 2016, 08:10:44 PM
Calm poses are definitely a good factor. Another thing are signs of a rough-and-tumble life - scars and such. Two of my favorite T. rex sculpts - Shinzen's elderly T. rex and Krent's Sideshow statue - have such features. It adds a lot of character.

I love the original Sideshow T-Rex statue!  I wished they would've have reissued that instead of the new one!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Redonix76 on January 25, 2016, 07:08:25 PM
Hey guys,

Here is the final mold...looks pretty good but didn't get a change to make a cast yet. I'll post the first test cast tonight. Thanks!

What's the mold itself made from?

Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 25, 2016, 08:21:37 PM

I love the original Sideshow T-Rex statue!  I wished they would've have reissued that instead of the new one!

Eh I don't.  They issued it twice already and having it already I wanted a different one.

Jetoar

Your Regaliceratops looks awesome sculptor friend  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 25, 2016, 11:38:36 PM
Hey guys,

Eh I don't.  They issued it twice already and having it already I wanted a different one.

Twice?!  I really missed out then. 

Takama

Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 26, 2016, 04:05:29 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 25, 2016, 11:38:36 PM
Hey guys,

Twice?!  I really missed out then. 

Dont feel bad, the Second Version was a Faux Bronze Version, and it was not cheap

Viking Spawn

Thanks for clearing that up Takama.  I'm not fond of the "Bronze" version anyway. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: