News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XCLASSGAMING

To be honest i am not really looking forward to this years dinosaurs i am only looking forwards to Baryonyx thats about it :/

Dilopho

Quote from: XCLASSGAMING on August 15, 2015, 06:47:30 PM
To be honest i am not really looking forward to this years dinosaurs i am only looking forwards to Baryonyx thats about it :/
Yes, they may not be the most exciting dinosaurs to everyone, but they're so...
...I want to say "lesser known", but they are 3 of the most famous dinosaurs in the world. What I mean is that not many toy companies pull them off successfully or very often, so they're welcome.

XCLASSGAMING

Quote from: Dilopho on August 15, 2015, 06:54:34 PM
...I want to say "lesser known", but they are 3 of the most famous dinosaurs in the world. What I mean is that not many toy companies pull them off successfully or very often, so they're welcome.
I am excited for them its just that i really want some more bigger predators Papo keep given us tiny ones now i want to see massive ones like a Giganotosaurus i am also curious to see how big the Baronynx is and if they make the Ig sculpt look like the disneys dinosaur one i am going to loose faith in them...

Dilopho

Quote from: XCLASSGAMING on August 15, 2015, 07:01:34 PM
I am excited for them its just that i really want some more bigger predators Papo keep given us tiny ones now i want to see massive ones like a Giganotosaurus i am also curious to see how big the Baronynx is and if they make the Ig sculpt look like the disneys dinosaur one i am going to loose faith in them...

By tiny carnivores do you mean like Oviraptor, Dilophosaurus and Carnotaurus? If so, I know what you mean. The Dilophosaurus was my first Papo figure, and I was surprised at how small it was. But that's not really bad- you can store them easier, and the detail is more tightly-packed.

XCLASSGAMING

Quote from: Dilopho on August 15, 2015, 07:20:15 PM

By tiny carnivores do you mean like Oviraptor, Dilophosaurus and Carnotaurus? If so, I know what you mean. The Dilophosaurus was my first Papo figure, and I was surprised at how small it was. But that's not really bad- you can store them easier, and the detail is more tightly-packed.
I never said they were bad i just want some bigger ones :)

tanystropheus

Quote from: XCLASSGAMING on August 16, 2015, 04:57:24 PM
Quote from: Dilopho on August 15, 2015, 07:20:15 PM

I never said they were bad i just want some bigger ones :)

I would like to have another Brachiosaurus with a different pose.
or an adult Apatosaurus.
Mamenchisaurus would be epic.
You are absolutely right. Papo hasn't been making too many large figures (with the exception of the multiple rexes and the reissues).

terrorchicken

I didnt know the Papo apatosaurus was supposed to be a baby.

tanystropheus

It's not a baby, but not yet an adult. I hope I didn't just quote a Britney Spears song  :-[

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 16, 2015, 11:14:32 PM
It's not a baby, but not yet an adult. I hope I didn't just quote a Britney Spears song  :-[

LOL. That's actually what came to mind as I was reading that.

Is it truly a juvenile or is that simply what Papo is calling it since it's scaled down? Seems like scale has never really been very consistent in this line to me... at least it wasn't earlier on.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Victoria B on August 17, 2015, 12:09:13 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on August 16, 2015, 11:14:32 PM

Is it truly a juvenile or is that simply what Papo is calling it since it's scaled down? Seems like scale has never really been very consistent in this line to me... at least it wasn't earlier on.

I think the general consensus on the forums is that it is a young adult. It has a slightly thicker neck and shorter feet, giving the impression that it might not be an adult. Furthermore, Everything Dinosaur personally met with Papo representatives and they were also under the impression that it is indeed a young Apatosaurus.

Papo has never been particularly keen on scale, but they are reasonably well-scaled when compared to museum lines. It might not have been a conscious effort on their part, though.

Dilopho

Yeah, they tend to do that. Their Pachycephalosaurus is  labelled as a baby on their website.

XCLASSGAMING

Quote from: Dilopho on August 18, 2015, 10:01:30 AM
Yeah, they tend to do that. Their Pachycephalosaurus is  labelled as a baby on their website.
I never knew they said it was a baby oh and guess what i found a green standing t-rex! waiting for it to come!

Halichoeres

Papo: "What do you mean it's out of scale with the figures of other dinosaurs that lived alongside it, that you might logically want to display it with? No, no, it's just a young individual. Yeah. Yeah, that's the ticket."
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

With the Pachycephalosaurus I'm more inclined to think the choice was because the one featured most prominently in JPTLW was canonically a juvenile.

XCLASSGAMING

It's like what Character did suddenly switching to the 3.75 figures :P Please Papo don't get cocky like character did!

Dilopho

Quote from: XCLASSGAMING on August 19, 2015, 09:23:14 AM
It's like what Character did suddenly switching to the 3.75 figures :P Please Papo don't get cocky like character did!

Yeah, that bothered me. I collect Doctor Who figures, and had all my favourite characters, but when all the new designs came out, such as the new Cybermen, I couldn't get them because they're smaller, harder to find, and more expensive! That's stupid!

But Papo's new smaller creatures doesn't mean they're going to stick with that size. Creatures like Dilophosaurus, Tupuxuara, Carnotaurus and such were actually quite small compared to other animals of their times. The Apatosaurus is small because it is young, and because it's very long- the longest Papo figure by far. The length of this sculpt means they need to put some money into producing them, and it uses a lot of plastic. You've got to remember, they also have Knights, Romans, Mutants, Reptiles, Ocean life, African life...the list goes on and on. Dinosaurs can't be their main focus. Hey, at least we're getting more than 2 figures next time! We'll get at least 3!

XCLASSGAMING

Quote from: Dilopho on August 19, 2015, 10:05:04 AM
Quote from: XCLASSGAMING on August 19, 2015, 09:23:14 AM

Yeah, that bothered me. I collect Doctor Who figures, and had all my favourite characters, but when all the new designs came out, such as the new Cybermen, I couldn't get them because they're smaller, harder to find, and more expensive! That's stupid!

But Papo's new smaller creatures doesn't mean they're going to stick with that size. Creatures like Dilophosaurus, Tupuxuara, Carnotaurus and such were actually quite small compared to other animals of their times. The Apatosaurus is small because it is young, and because it's very long- the longest Papo figure by far. The length of this sculpt means they need to put some money into producing them, and it uses a lot of plastic. You've got to remember, they also have Knights, Romans, Mutants, Reptiles, Ocean life, African life...the list goes on and on. Dinosaurs can't be their main focus. Hey, at least we're getting more than 2 figures next time! We'll get at least 3!
Yea i guess you're right! And atleast we still get 5inch figures

Dilopho

I've been hearing some rumours about Papo making a Kaprosuchus. Does anyone have any information on this?

Arul

Quote from: Dilopho on September 05, 2015, 02:08:31 PM
I've been hearing some rumours about Papo making a Kaprosuchus. Does anyone have any information on this?

Wow where did you heard that ? :D

Dilopho

Quote from: Arul on September 05, 2015, 03:58:52 PM
Quote from: Dilopho on September 05, 2015, 02:08:31 PM

Wow where did you heard that ? :D
On this very forum. I can't remember the thread....

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: