News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moodyraptor

Quote from: MLMjp on January 03, 2016, 09:20:07 PM
By the way Giganotosaurus is not 100% confirmed but the sculptor said that he is planing to do one and he is doing some research on the animal, so it doesn't look like a T.rex, which is weird because a quick search immediately gives you enough differences :P.

Having seen Baryonyx, I have every faith in him to come up with something novel!

MLMjp

Quote from: Moodyraptor on January 04, 2016, 05:30:55 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on January 03, 2016, 09:20:07 PM
By the way Giganotosaurus is not 100% confirmed but the sculptor said that he is planing to do one and he is doing some research on the animal, so it doesn't look like a T.rex, which is weird because a quick search immediately gives you enough differences :P.

Having seen Baryonyx, I have every faith in him to come up with something novel!

OH MY....!!! That could be true..... I hope not. :-[ :-[ :-[

Saurox

I'm still not willing to really make a judgement on the Baryonyx until I've seen more than the single poster angle of it. I'll definetly be getting it to review and compare to a dino model that I couldn't help but notice  quite a few similarities that are shared between it and the Papo Bary.

japfeif

Quote from: gfxtwin on August 11, 2013, 11:45:51 PM
Yes, Dimetrodons are quite common, but to be fair, this is the only plastic figure of one that seems like it will have the craftsmanship of a high quality sculpture.  There's nothing close in the figure market that look this nice, and that's good news to anyone with ridiculously high standards for craftsmanship who doesn't want to shell out the money for a statue - one without a neat moving jaw, no less.

Sometimes I wonder if this board just doesn't take well to Papo's rising popularity in the market, but I don't totally understand why.  I kind of don't get how everything they make, even when standing above and beyond most other figures that are similar,  seems to gets nitpicked to death.  Is it because of how they base almost all of their figure's deigns on existing designs?  THAT I can understand, being an artist myself.  It must be frustrating to have your art (especially if it's a sculpture and you distribute it yourself) liberally borrowed from by a company that makes a good profit of their products.  But from a collector's perspective, it's a good thing to have nicer figures for much less than some models or sculptures that have less craft.  Granted, there have often still been inaccuracies, even on their best models (like a slightly broad snout on a carnotaurus, a slightly long neck on a styrac, somewhat narrow hips on a Euoplocephalus) and other little screw ups - but some of them are fixable with the right tools.  Than I see a company like CollectA, which  seem to be the bees knees on this board.  I don't quite understand it, from a collector's perspective.  I mean, I understand the dislike of many Papo models - like the grotesque-looking 2012 running Rex with it's bizarre jaws and huge arms - because they are just plain inaccurate.  Completely inaccurate.  The stegosaurus, Oviraptor, and those horrid marine reptiles.  Dear god, the less said about them the better.  Not to mention the aforementioned nicking of existing designs. But I also see MANY innacuracies in just about every single line of dinosaurs out there.  CollectA is especially bad about warping proportions, but they are very colorful so I suppose that's why they are more sought after? 

I try not to take sides, but if I have a bias it's that my taste in dinosaur art veers a more towards naturalism.  The paint on my favorite Papo models are perhaps more boring, but they seem more plausible to me.  A carnivore that lives on a planet mostly comprised of greens and/or browns/ and or/ grays and/or tans will probably evolve to blend in with these colors in order to survive.  I can understand splashes of vibrant color here and there, however, and every once in a while Papo flirts with that (the design on the frill of the Styrac, the subtle bits of red and blue an the allo, the design on the dimetrodon's sail, etc) but maybe they don't take it as far as they should.  I don't know, I'm not really knowledgable when it comes to dinosaur color patterns (though I do know that stripes might have been common on the back half of hadrosaurs)

Anywho, I'm starting to ramble.  The point: Here is a beautiful dimetrodon.  IT's most likely going to be the best on the market.  Based on the pictures I've seeen (including that one of the final model at a convention) it has set the bar VERY high in regards to paint app, detail, realism, scientific accuracy, etc for plastic toys.  Overall, nothing comes close to this quality as far as plastic dimetrodons are concerned.  In fact, most, if not all toy dimetrodons are completely half-assed.  Why does there seem to be absolutely no interest in this figure?  Is it the fact that it's a dimetrodon (a very common species that we've all seen our whole lives in books and movies)? Is it because it kind of borrows liberally from Dimetrodon sculptures on the market?  In those regards, yes, it's uninspired, but in the toy market this thing is a god among kings.  Well, that was rather hyperbolic, but you know what I mean. 

Wow, took me almost 3 years to get around to reading this post from back in April of '13, but just wanted to say....great post! I could not have said it better!!!

tanystropheus

Quote from: japfeif on January 08, 2016, 03:20:03 AM
Quote from: gfxtwin on August 11, 2013, 11:45:51 PM
Yes, Dimetrodons are quite common, but to be fair, this is the only plastic figure of one that seems like it will have the craftsmanship of a high quality sculpture.  There's nothing close in the figure market that look this nice, and that's good news to anyone with ridiculously high standards for craftsmanship who doesn't want to shell out the money for a statue - one without a neat moving jaw, no less.

Sometimes I wonder if this board just doesn't take well to Papo's rising popularity in the market, but I don't totally understand why.  I kind of don't get how everything they make, even when standing above and beyond most other figures that are similar,  seems to gets nitpicked to death.  Is it because of how they base almost all of their figure's deigns on existing designs?  THAT I can understand, being an artist myself.  It must be frustrating to have your art (especially if it's a sculpture and you distribute it yourself) liberally borrowed from by a company that makes a good profit of their products.  But from a collector's perspective, it's a good thing to have nicer figures for much less than some models or sculptures that have less craft.  Granted, there have often still been inaccuracies, even on their best models (like a slightly broad snout on a carnotaurus, a slightly long neck on a styrac, somewhat narrow hips on a Euoplocephalus) and other little screw ups - but some of them are fixable with the right tools.  Than I see a company like CollectA, which  seem to be the bees knees on this board.  I don't quite understand it, from a collector's perspective.  I mean, I understand the dislike of many Papo models - like the grotesque-looking 2012 running Rex with it's bizarre jaws and huge arms - because they are just plain inaccurate.  Completely inaccurate.  The stegosaurus, Oviraptor, and those horrid marine reptiles.  Dear god, the less said about them the better.  Not to mention the aforementioned nicking of existing designs. But I also see MANY innacuracies in just about every single line of dinosaurs out there.  CollectA is especially bad about warping proportions, but they are very colorful so I suppose that's why they are more sought after? 

I try not to take sides, but if I have a bias it's that my taste in dinosaur art veers a more towards naturalism.  The paint on my favorite Papo models are perhaps more boring, but they seem more plausible to me.  A carnivore that lives on a planet mostly comprised of greens and/or browns/ and or/ grays and/or tans will probably evolve to blend in with these colors in order to survive.  I can understand splashes of vibrant color here and there, however, and every once in a while Papo flirts with that (the design on the frill of the Styrac, the subtle bits of red and blue an the allo, the design on the dimetrodon's sail, etc) but maybe they don't take it as far as they should.  I don't know, I'm not really knowledgable when it comes to dinosaur color patterns (though I do know that stripes might have been common on the back half of hadrosaurs)

Anywho, I'm starting to ramble.  The point: Here is a beautiful dimetrodon.  IT's most likely going to be the best on the market.  Based on the pictures I've seeen (including that one of the final model at a convention) it has set the bar VERY high in regards to paint app, detail, realism, scientific accuracy, etc for plastic toys.  Overall, nothing comes close to this quality as far as plastic dimetrodons are concerned.  In fact, most, if not all toy dimetrodons are completely half-assed.  Why does there seem to be absolutely no interest in this figure?  Is it the fact that it's a dimetrodon (a very common species that we've all seen our whole lives in books and movies)? Is it because it kind of borrows liberally from Dimetrodon sculptures on the market?  In those regards, yes, it's uninspired, but in the toy market this thing is a god among kings.  Well, that was rather hyperbolic, but you know what I mean. 

Wow, took me almost 3 years to get around to reading this post from back in April of '13, but just wanted to say....great post! I could not have said it better!!!

Well, it is an exemplary post. It should be stickied  :)

stargatedalek

Except that it really shouldn't be. Barring the fact that the post is dated and shows a clear bias, that Dimetrodon is not actually very accurate (ignoring changes to our understanding since its production), the skull shape is off and it has scales. I for one also find it incredibly unoriginal, not only is it directly copied but it's frankly an overused pose to begin with.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on January 01, 2016, 09:10:52 PM
Quote from: Victoria B on December 31, 2015, 09:49:53 PM
Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on December 31, 2015, 09:26:00 PM
Quote from: Victoria B on December 15, 2015, 09:22:08 AM
Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on December 14, 2015, 10:25:06 AM
Quote from: Victoria B on November 26, 2015, 12:39:47 AM
Well, I went ahead and ordered the T-Rex and Raptor pack from the South Korean seller. I had some cash in my PayPal account so I only ended up shelling about half. At least I'll be able to have these repaints.

Well, if the seller doesn't again put more up (which they have before), I finally broke down and bought the last one. Let's here it for Christmas! -- A great excuse to buy something extravagant for yourself and not feel as guilty about it! Lol! ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221941469010?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Awesome! Let me know when you get yours. I actually haven't received mine yet. :(

Just got mine today! Barely made it to still be counted as a 2015 acquisition! ;)

Awesome, congrats! Unfortunately I still have not received mine. :( I ordered mine on November 26. I have a feeling it's lost. I emailed the seller a week ago and he indicated it was probably due to the holidays. It's too bad there was no tracking provided otherwise I might be able to see where it got lost. I can't seek a refund until January 10th, which is the last day of the estimated delivery window.

Oh no! Hope it gets there soon! It's funny though, I got this package from Taiwan that had a window of delivery as late as the end of January, but my box of the last remaining 2015 figures (plus all the new 2016 WS figures) I had finally coming from only a couple States away that was suppose to be here before the new year hasn't arrived yet! :P

I had bought the rainbow rex before christmas so I've had it for a while but after i herd that the only way of getting the raptor was by getting the set then I just went a head and got a set on ebay and it just got here today and all I can say is that 1. Amazing raptor repaint and 2. having two rainbow rexs and putting them side by side its interesting to see how there paint jobs differ one being a lot more faded than the other.

Saurox

Posted by: imnewhere
« on: Today at 05:56:09 AM » Insert Quote
I had bought the rainbow rex before christmas so I've had it for a while but after i herd that the only way of getting the raptor was by getting the set then I just went a head and got a set on ebay and it just got here today and all I can say is that 1. Amazing raptor repaint and 2. having two rainbow rexs and putting them side by side its interesting to see how there paint jobs differ one being a lot more faded than the other.

I love it when I find slight variations of models (that aren't officially variants).

I came across a papo pterosaur and Allosaurus at my local toys r us and they were painted somewhat differently to my other Pterosaur and Allosaurus (which I got from the same toys r us a year ago).

I'm going to feature them in a review, as soon as I get my camera from the mail man.

Viking Spawn

Papo has multiple variants within their dino models.  The most obvious are Spinosaurus & Stegosaurus.  Minus their other total repaints like Velociraptor, etc.  ;)

Saurox

I've only seen pictures of the Darker grey spino. I've been keeping an eye out for it.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 10, 2016, 07:01:32 AM
Papo has multiple variants within their dino models.  The most obvious are Spinosaurus & Stegosaurus.  Minus their other total repaints like Velociraptor, etc.  ;)

Ahhh yes.... Ive been wanting to talk about this for a while. I call them unofficial officials.... When papo changed their raptor/t-rex from version 1 to version 2 that was an official change in the sense that the paint schemes where so different that they had to go and change the stock image to resemble the new paint scheme. But with what I call unofficial officials you get a a paint variant that is different enough for the community to say that it's a different paint variant or a different version etc. (examples being the stegosaurs/spino/brown running rex). How ever while this new paint variant might be different enough for the people on this forum to consider it a new variant papo won't change the stock image to match the new variant examples being the stego version 2, version 2 dosent have white spots but papo has yet to change there stock image (same for spino) so this leads me to believe that while they are different, papo does not consider them "repaints"

Saurox

Quote from: imnewhere on January 10, 2016, 07:20:58 PM

Ahhh yes.... Ive been wanting to talk about this for a while. I call them unofficial officials.... When papo changed their raptor/t-rex from version 1 to version 2 that was an official change in the sense that the paint schemes where so different that they had to go and change the stock image to resemble the new paint scheme. But with what I call unofficial officials you get a a paint variant that is different enough for the community to say that it's a different paint variant or a different version etc. (examples being the stegosaurs/spino/brown running rex). How ever while this new paint variant might be different enough for the people on this forum to consider it a new variant papo won't change the stock image to match the new variant examples being the stego version 2, version 2 dosent have white spots but papo has yet to change there stock image (same for spino) so this leads me to believe that while they are different, papo does not consider them "repaints"

They certainly add something more to a collection having these variants in.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: masakira on January 10, 2016, 08:33:29 PM
Quote from: imnewhere on January 10, 2016, 07:20:58 PM

They certainly add something more to a collection having these variants in.

This is true but to me I always ask my self what are the considerations for a paint scheme to be considered new? The stego makes sense because the pattern itself changed (the white dots) but for figures like the spino that we all consider to have 2 variants I ask why? I realize the version 2 has a lot more blue and is a lot darker than the original but if that is enough for us to call it a different variant then does that mean that there could be others like the spino? I know the allo definitely looks different now a days and I also recently got another raptor who's paint scheme is much darker than the first raptor I bought so would this be enough for the forum to consider it a new unofficial official variant??? why or why not???

Viking Spawn

I see you are on board with me.

I'm guessing for the company to simply consider a figure of having its own catelog entry or being called its own entity would be to repaint it  completely different?!   Like the Raptor going from brown to whatever you call its paint pattern now.  Or the T-Rex going from Green to Rainbow.

And yes, I also acknowledge the paint variation of the Allosaurus too.  Sorry I didn't mention that one.  I have a new gallery ready for viewing to show these differences. 

I really need to grab the newest Spino (V.3) and Stego so I can do the same for them!

Saurox

Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 11, 2016, 06:44:03 AM

I'm guessing for the company to simply consider a figure of having its own catelog entry or being called its own entity would be to repaint it  completely different?!   Like the Raptor going from brown to whatever you call its paint pattern now.  Or the T-Rex going from Green to Rainbow.

And yes, I also acknowledge the paint variation of the Allosaurus too.  Sorry I didn't mention that one.  I have a new gallery ready for viewing to show these differences. 

I really need to grab the newest Spino (V.3) and Stego so I can do the same for them!

V.3? I've only ever heard of the light grey and dark grey ones?  :o

oscars_dinos

Quote from: masakira on January 12, 2016, 12:03:02 AM
Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 11, 2016, 06:44:03 AM

V.3? I've only ever heard of the light grey and dark grey ones?  :o

THERES A THIRD VERSION !!!! I just got version 2 man..... also does that mean that the allo does have a version 2 or ???

oscars_dinos

Can someone like make a list of all the repaints or versions or whatever..... I just need my collection to be 100% complete you know

Viking Spawn

The latest version of Spino has brighter rainbow colors on the sail.  If you look at my Spino galleries, you can clearly see the difference between the original and darker second version released the last few years.  But the added "color" to the sail is a nice touch and I definitely want to pick one up!  When I first seen it, it grabbed my attention!!!!!

Rathalosaurus

Where is your gallery?
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: