News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

1:5 Scale Anzu in the works

Started by nwfonseca, January 18, 2016, 03:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwfonseca

Hello Everybody! I just wanted to share a few images of the 1:5 scale Anzu I am working on. It is a huge sculpt. Dang. i am enjoying the process so far. But first, I need to thank everyone at dinotoyblog.com. I am grateful that there is a stable and vibrant community where you can share your enthusiasm for prehistoric life be it toys or models. There are other paleo-related sites but none too many that focus on toys and models. Whenever I need to get my dino-model news fix I head over here first. If I want to get a peak at what is coming down the line, I come here. I could spend hours shuffling through google searches or come here where the results are already aggregated. It's a no brainer! Thanks again dinotoyblog and everyone who contributes.

Now on to some images. Enjoy!

EarthboundEiniosaurus

I share your sentiments towards this site, it's really a great place ^-^ As for your model, wow :o It's amazing! it looks great now, I can't wait to see it fully finished.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Pachyrhinosaurus

That is looking great! The pose and shape of the base reminds me of a taxidermy mount.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Dinomike

Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Viking Spawn

Looking good so far!!!!    However, I'm curious.  Is there a companion piece to this?  It looks like the poor creature is terrified and running away from something!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I commented on your DA pic too, but this does look fantastic! Is it meant to be running away from a larger predator?

DinoG

Run!

Concavenator

OMG,how big is it?It looks amazing!
Will you add primaries,and more feathers?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looks like maybe 12" -16" tall? ( testing my eye for scale here).

I'm sure more feathers will be added..recall how nicely the Deinonychus was feathered?

Concavenator

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 18, 2016, 07:47:43 PM

I'm sure more feathers will be added..recall how nicely the Deinonychus was feathered?
Yes,I do.It looks great.Pity it's so big though.Same goes to the price (though it totally deserves it)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Concavenator on January 18, 2016, 07:56:05 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 18, 2016, 07:47:43 PM

Yes,I do.It looks great.Pity it's so big though.Same goes to the price (though it totally deserves it)

If you want smaller the new Papo will work. If not it I think David Silva will have us covered assuming his new toy/figure line works out.

nwfonseca

The idea is that it is displaying either a threat or some other display to another Anzu or a predator. The wings are going to be displayed in a display posture like an Owl "similar to what Emily Willoughby did with her Microraptor painting" Additionally the head is turned to the side to show off the crest. Also, the design of the pose was meant to allow the sculpt to look good from all angles. At one point it was going to have a juvenile walking with it, but at the moment I need to stay focused on the main sculpt. Yes, this will be fully feathered including the primaries. I am putting in overtime with researching the feather locations on the arms. I am also planning some display skin stuff on the neck. This beast indeed stands about 16" tall. The idea was to do it on the same scale as the Deinonychus. On paper in 2D it looks quite a bit smaller, but when you start to build it out it starts to really get huge. In retrospect smaller would have been nice, but you got to go with what the heart tells you to do or you wont enjoy it. Probably not the best stance from a business perspective but I can't help it haha. Right now the base is just a generic wood shape, but will be detailed out to look like ground. It just helped to ground the sculpt to something.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think it's great, love big pieces... ;)

Always gets me how small a drawing is or a figure..then you see it recreated in a large scale...just awe-inspiring.

Redonix76

nwfonseca, looking great! Can't wait to see it finished!! What's the length from beak to tail? Personally as an artist myself, I felt your deinonychus's scale was totally worth the price. I got one by the way and looking forward to this one! Keep up the good work!

Dobber

Wow! Another work of art. You look like you are knocking it out of the park again Nick.  ;)

Loved Your Deinonychus too, that's why I built one  ;D

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

nwfonseca

I have some a few updated images of the Anzu sculpt to share. Here is a brief description of the progress from my Deviantart page:

"Still have a long way to go. Just recently got moving on the "wing" feathers. Have the primary feathers on the left arm laid in. I will be moving on to the secondaries after I do the primaries on the right side. I added some hamburger meat looking skin to the neck and a wattle at the base of the neck. I may or may not keep it. But I will probably keep it."

As you can see, I haven't moved into the head yet. I plan on getting into it as soon as I get the rest of the feathers laid in and can feel safe taking time to detail the different elements of the head including the casque, beak, and skin.

Now, here are the images. I hope you enjoy:

Newt

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looking awesome bud!  I don't whether to post here, facebook or DA though! lol   One question, the feathers on the top of the thigh there in the second pic look very uniform is that an area your still going to detail further?

Digibasherx

Oh my, that looks fantastic!!! The details are awesome, and the pose is very energetic.

Redonix76

Chris, yiu can post on both sites!! Like i do lol 😉

Nicholas - Looking beautiful!!! Cant wait to see it side by side with your first baby!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: