You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on March 28, 2017, 07:54:55 PM
It's a real beauty! I like the color scheme.

Thank you - I think Martin has a superb feel for colour and pattern.  He is also able to produce models that look different from each other, although he must do a great many.

ceratopsian

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 28, 2017, 08:00:18 PM
Nice model and an unusual stance for a ceratopsian figure :)

I'm curious as I do not have any "Martin Garrett"s or seen some,... what is the material the base is made from and is the wood in front real wood or some artifical substitute?

Thank you - it is indeed an unusual pose.  I do not know if Styracosaurus could in "real life" move in this way, but it makes for an artistically dramatic model.

I'm not sure what the base is made from.  It's very light.  I bet those on the forum who make models themselves might know.  The wood in front is artificial I think - very light.

ceratopsian

Quote from: BlueKrono on March 28, 2017, 08:05:02 PM
A brilliant collab by two of the best at what they do. Your concerns about unpacking mishaps is exactly why I always send stuff out in bubble wrap secured with rubber bands - easy to undo, and requires no blades near your cherished figures.

They are indeed brilliant artists.  It's my first Shane Foulkes but I'd been hoping to get something by him eventually.  I see your point on the packing.  My only concern with really fragile models is whether too tight an elastic band might exert too much inwards pressure, e.g. on a thin spike.  But careful placement would avoid this problem.

BlueKrono

Yes, they are always loosely wrapped, no constricting. Most of what I ship out to members is plastic anyway.  I pack things in boxes for a living, so I know a thing or two about it. The main point of packing bubbles is to keep the product from slamming around inside the box during the rough shopping process and getting a "concussion", so I aim to have little excess space inside and make removing the object as easy and intuitive as possible. I wish more people used the rubber band method rather than packing tape. Boo tape! >:(
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ceratopsian

Quote from: BlueKrono on March 28, 2017, 08:51:39 PM
Yes, they are always loosely wrapped, no constricting. Most of what I ship out to members is plastic anyway.  I pack things in boxes for a living, so I know a thing or two about it. The main point of packing bubbles is to keep the product from slamming around inside the box during the rough shopping process and getting a "concussion", so I aim to have little excess space inside and make removing the object as easy and intuitive as possible. I wish more people used the rubber band method rather than packing tape. Boo tape! >:(

I think it's something that never crosses people's minds.  Experience really counts in practical matters like this.

stargatedalek

I for one sometimes recycle plastic shopping bags as packing material, typically outside of a layer of bubbles. It prevents parts inside from sliding and also cushions them in heavy impacts.

ceratopsian

Last week another model built and painted by Martin Garratt arrived.  This time it was Lu Feng Shan's Zhanghenglong.  The black background photos were those sent me by Marilyn for me to approve the work:

The ones with the white background are taken in my dining room.  Like my new PNSO model (see the relevant thread), it's now in my new glass cabinets to keep it dust free.

Lanthanotus

Gorgeous model and paint job. I like that broken off wooden trunk that sinks into the ground. Several models have those uniformiously black eyes and on most I feel the urge to change them (you know, to some color and with just black pupils) but on this, they look very good and natural.

ceratopsian

Thank you for your kind comments. Martin is so very talented. I too loved the way that broken trunk sits. I should have said that this time I left the colour scheme and base's appearance up to Martin.

ceratopsian

I've just been through this thread and replaced the images that wretched Photobucket removed (as oddly I didn't want to pay $400 per annum just to post images here on the DTF!)  I've gone with postimage, as a few others of you have recommended it.  It seems easy to use and hugely less cumbersome than Photobucket was.  And what a joy not to have to wade through the ads!  I'll try and pick up images I've posted elsewhere as well in due course.  I'm not entirely sure I'll have posted exactly the same images but they will be similar.

ceratopsian

This beastie landed yesterday on my doorstep, having flown down from Martin Garratt's studio.

It is of course the CollectA Dimorphodon, with a custom paint.  I had asked Martin to repaint the Guidraco a while ago (and shown at the beginning of this thread).  So it seemed only sensible to ask Martin to work on this one as well to make a sort of pair.

The scheme is based on an old John Sibbick illustration, seen here, which appears on pp. 70-71 of Wellnhofer's book "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Pterosaurs" (1991); and which was reused in the slim paperback by Michael Benton "Discovering Dinosaurs [!!]: Flying Monsters" on pp. 12-13 (2015):

I know that Dimorphodon is often interpreted these days as a possible woodland inhabitant rather than on rocks or cliffs, but I like the Sibbick pattern and think it would do well enough in a forest environment too.

Halichoeres

That is an attractive paint job! I agree it works well in a woodland.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reptilia

That repainted Dimorphodon is fantastic, looks even more natural than the original.

RobinGoodfellow

Jetoar

John Sibbick colors are really wonderful for this figure  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

ceratopsian

Thank you for your kind comments, everyone.

ceratopsian

Infuriatingly, all my photos that were on Photobucket of evil memory that I then uploaded to postimage.org have disappeared again!  So I'll now have a go at posting my new acquisitions via Flickr.  Here's hoping.....

In recent weeks, I've ordered two models from China through our own acro-man.  Marilyn sent me images yesterday of the result of Martin Garratt painting and basing my Pentaceratops.  This is a 3D printed model by the newly formed Chinese studio, Prehistoric Passions, sculpted by XXH.  The link to acro-man's original posting of the model is here:

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6113.0

On to the pictures:

I had asked by for an erect tree trunk to give some height, otherwise I merely said that I liked the original sample paint but Martin was free to indulge himself.  I'm really pleased with the result.  I love the frill especially.  I like how the greenish colour on the frill is picked up by its repetition in front of the jugal horn and more softly on the animal's body.  I love the colour gradation on the horns - Martin has made full use of their great length.

Now I'm just waiting for it to be posted to me!

RobinGoodfellow

ceratopsian

The second of my imminent arrivals from Martin Garratt: the Sinornithosaurus millenii by Bingni.  Again, the model was sourced from China by our own acro-man.  He has opened up a world of marvels for us!  I thought the model was superb when he posted it as an example of Bingni's work.  You can find it here if you scroll down in this thread:

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5977.0

Normally I'm more likely to buy herbivorous dinosaurs, but that's not an unbreakable rule.  I loved the energy and movement in this sculpt.  I was thrilled when acro-man unexpectedly said there was one kit left and I could buy it.  I leapt at the chance.  My brief to Martin was that I liked the colour scheme the Chinese artist had used, so if he perhaps did something like it but with his own twist.  Here's the result:

I think it's glorious - I love the blue/grey splash in the eye area and the way the wing feathers shade so beautifully.  So now I'm crossing my fingers that it will reach me safe and sound.  Martin has drilled through the support leg and inserted a metal rod for extra safety.  I have faith in Marilyn's packing skills!

Thanks to Marilyn for the photos.  I'm so excited about this and the Pentaceratops coming!  But I might have to readjust the shelf spacing in my model room.  The Sinornithosaurus is tall.

ceratopsian

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: