News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO dinosaurs

Started by Fluffysaurus, March 23, 2016, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooksonia

I think they might ship those from Germany. I know mine were

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Both the Spinops and the Eurhinosaurus look great, this is more what I was hoping for from this line.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Ravonium

Quote from: cooksonia on June 15, 2019, 05:47:38 PM

So that's why UK users were some of the earliest (even for the estimated delivery time ms) to receive the minis...  :o

Shonisaurus

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 15, 2019, 03:59:38 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on June 15, 2019, 03:54:50 PM

I quit Prime after the cynical HQ2 debacle, but the PNSO figures still ship to me for free. I'm not sure if that's just a US thing, though.

No, not just a US thing.  I'm in the UK and amazon.com offers me free shipping on the PNSO models (and I'm not in Prime).

In my nation Spain, the same thing happens to me, the PNSO dinosaurs send me on Amazon.com for free. On the other hand I have the Prime model in amazon.es and it prevents me from buying certain products such as disinfection marks against pests (moths, insects) for clothes. The Prime version requires me and will not let me buy those products. I hope that for the dinosaurs of PNSO or other brands that does not also happen unfortunately in the future.

ceratopsian

Quote from: Ravonium on June 15, 2019, 11:27:29 PM
Quote from: cooksonia on June 15, 2019, 05:47:38 PM

So that's why UK users were some of the earliest (even for the estimated delivery time ms) to receive the minis...  :o

My minis came from China direct to the UK, as have all other PNSO items I have ordered on Amazon.  Maybe it made a difference whether the item was supplied by Amazon or by Yiniao selling on Amazon.

catchup

I prayed for a clean faced Spinops, but when the box arrived, an Indian "dog soldier" jumped right out of it.
A quick paint job was immediately done by me, using dilute paint from a brown ink pen. So the figure in photos below might be a little bit different from what you got.
The Spinops looks like a dehydrated bodybuilder who is ready to compete for Mr. Olympia. The style of muscular sculpture seems a bit exaggerated for my taste, but I still have to say it does look amazing. The skin fold is quite natural and the detail simply blows me away to the moon. I've never seen a figure at this price range with so much fine details! The details are so fine, that a photo taken by a cellphone in a not so bright room probably couldn't even show how good it is! And in a few areas the skin does smooth out, I guess it's because the finest detail goes beyond the depiction limit of PVC material.
Artistically it's a big step up compared to other PNSO figures I owe.
The body is more rounded than Doyle's, which is an improvement. I also like the shape of feet, and the curving tail.
Other than the white paint on face, the figure is painted in a simple but convincing way.
Another minor complaint from me is the parting lines all over the figure. It's not easy to fix unless you are already prepared to re-paint it.
The Spinops might not be as well-rounded as PNSO's Ankylosaurus, but its merits are so obvious that I could not get my hands off it. If the material of construction was a bit harder, this could easily be my favorite PNSO dinosaur.

ceratopsian

C @catchup - thank you for those excellent, informative photos and critique.  It is especially useful to see the Spinops with "Doyle".  I wish I were as handy with a paintbrush as you!

catchup

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 16, 2019, 10:17:05 AM
C @catchup - thank you for those excellent, informative photos and critique.  It is especially useful to see the Spinops with "Doyle".  I wish I were as handy with a paintbrush as you!

Thank you for your encouragement.
The lighting and tele-lens might be a bit flattering, but the figure itself is indeed very well sculptured in my opinion. For the first time a soft and small dinosaur figure from PNSO looks really like a resin statue.

Shonisaurus

C @catchup It looks excellent! Apart from that, PNSO has performed a very rare ceraptoside in the collector's market! Fabulous paleoart, magnificent modeling, beautiful sculpture and painting. I agree with you this figure of PNSO is a figure as perfect as are the resin figures, in any case where I do not agree with you that being a soft plastic figure lowers the quality of the spinops, before a fall accidentally from a bookshelf I sincerely prefer that kind of figures that do not fracture, I have a bad experience with the saurophaganax with base of Collecta that I have dropped the other one from its shelf when lowering the figure to clean it with damp cloth in my bathroom so that because of hard plastic that figure has broken legs and I had to buy another saurophaganax in an online store with the economic costs that entails. A soft figure guarantees that the figure is not going to break and if it suffers abrasions you can repaint it and it does not suppose excessive economic costs like the figures of resin and semirigid plastic like the dinosaurs of Favorite of resin that to clean them of the dust and moisten their figures I tremble so that these figures are not broken because then to repair them, the restoration usually involves an economic cost as expensive as the resin figure itself, for example that happened to me with Favorite dilophosaurus.

Going to the heart of the matter the PNSO spinops is a five-star figure that is outstanding and whose delivery I am waiting for as "Mayo water" metaphorically speaking. Thank you for the photos and especially for the comparison photos with the PNSO triceratops.

catchup

The figure weighs less than 200g, so the risk of broken parts caused by dropping might not be that high, even with PVC as hard as Wilson's.
But nothing I said could change the fact that it's made mainly for small kids, so safety first. Only PNSO did such a great job to make its modeling on par with collectible's. Actually in China the price is only about $10. Soft or hard, it's a no brainer for me.
I think ankylosaurus was still hand-carved, but it seemed spinops was designed by computer, MAYA, texture painting or something like that. This could be a new trend, and there might be many more better figures waiting to be released from PNSO :)

ceratopsian

C @catchup, Even at the the higher prices in the West, it's still a no-brainer.  I too would prefer a slightly harder plastic but it's no big deal. I am simply happy to have access to such good figures. Interesting to hear the Spinops was designed on a computer. Thanks for the information.

KeU

What's an Indian dog soldier???

catchup

KeU

Fearsome. Perhaps that was the intent for Duke.

Jose S.M.

I was thinking that maybe the white paint is because they went with the idea of ceratopsids face being covered with keratin, so they white represent some cracks in that covering. I think their big Triceratops had those white lines as well right.

Andanna

It unfortunately looks very small compared to DOYLE. Is there a way to determine a range of scale it is in? 

catchup

Quote from: Andanna on June 17, 2019, 02:29:03 AM
It unfortunately looks very small compared to DOYLE. Is there a way to determine a range of scale it is in?

Spinops is supposed to be smaller. If the tail is straightened, the length could be about 17cm. So it is 1:35, not big, just a handful of dinosaur. And one might need magnifying glass to enjoy the skin detail.
Doyle is bigger than 1:35.

Brolyss4

It IS in scale with doyle, Doyle represents an almost full grown 9 meters long triceratops, it measures about 25 cm along the spine, Doyle is exactly 1/35, not bigger. Remember it was a MASSIVE beast, the biggest and most evolved ceratopsian, most ceratopsians species would look small when compared to Triceratops.Triceratops is considered the most dangerous land animal to ever live past or present. An adult spinops is estimated to be 5.3 - 6 meters long, the PNSO figure is 15 cm long, with tail stretched you can have 16 or 17 cm, to obtain the scale of the figure you just need to multiply its total length by the scale you want, 16 cm x 35 = 5.60 meters, as you see, it fits in 1/35 perfectly, it doesn't matter if it measures 15, 16 or 17 cm, it is 1/35.

A 9 meters long triceratops in 1/35 would measure as follows: 9 meters ÷ 35 = 25.5 cm long.

catchup

Quote from: Brolyss4 on June 17, 2019, 07:24:29 AM

It IS in scale with doyle, Doyle represents an almost full grown 9 meters long triceratops, it measures about 25 cm along the spine, Doyle is exactly 1/35, not bigger. Remember it was a MASSIVE beast, the biggest and most evolved ceratopsian, most ceratopsians species would look small when compared to Triceratops.Triceratops is considered the most dangerous land animal to ever live past or present. An adult spinops is estimated to be 5.3 - 6 meters long, the PNSO figure is 15 cm long, with tail stretched you can have 16 or 17 cm, to obtain the scale of the figure you just need to multiply its total length by the scale you want, 16 cm x 35 = 5.60 meters, as you see, it fits in 1/35 perfectly, it doesn't matter if it measures 15, 16 or 17 cm, it is 1/35.

A 9 meters long triceratops in 1/35 would measure as follows: 9 meters ÷ 35 = 25.5 cm long.

Doyle was based on the fossil skeleton of Kelsey whose actual length was only over 6m. That's why I think it's oversized. Don't know the reason PNSO did this. Maybe too small a figure wont fit in museum series?

Takama

Cant we all agree that the Museum line is NOT 1:35 Scale?

the 10 meter Amargasaurus in that line is the same size as there 16 meter Mamenchisaurus.

Why they bother to give them scale listing in the first place is a qustion i would like to see answerd.  Why not just call it the Museum Series?   

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: