News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO dinosaurs

Started by Fluffysaurus, March 23, 2016, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: LeapingLaelaps on January 04, 2021, 07:54:10 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno on January 04, 2021, 07:43:46 PM
Yes, I hope they are hollow(for pricing and shipping) and large. I can't believe companies haven't done that yet, why do they always made them solid?

Most companies seem to make small-ish figures so they're probably not worried about that, and it's probably easier to make solid figures. Although I've never designed a figure so I'm not sure how the process works of mold making/hollowing them out :P
I mean if you went to a dollar store , you will see how cheap and easy it is to make a hollow model  ::)

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Stolpergeist on January 04, 2021, 08:08:41 PM
Most of those have however a seam in the middle.
I know that but I'm sure a company like PNSO can make the seem very unnoticed

Bread

Quote from: Bread on January 03, 2021, 03:53:20 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on January 03, 2021, 03:51:53 PM
Quote from: Bread on January 03, 2021, 03:46:03 PM
Hopefully the Stegosaurus receives the same treatment, especially since an Allosaurus is on the way.
Hell, I absolutely wouldn't mind a completely new stegosaurus sculpt either ;)
My thoughts exactly, but I don't see PNSO doing that. I could be wrong though...
So, I noticed something today on Amazon. The Stegosaurus is missing on Amazon's PNSO store or whatever you want to call it, which leads me to think... could a new Stegosaurus be on the horizon???

NOTE: Please do not think we are receiving one, this is just something I noticed.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Bread on January 04, 2021, 11:43:39 PM
Quote from: Bread on January 03, 2021, 03:53:20 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on January 03, 2021, 03:51:53 PM
Quote from: Bread on January 03, 2021, 03:46:03 PM
Hopefully the Stegosaurus receives the same treatment, especially since an Allosaurus is on the way.
Hell, I absolutely wouldn't mind a completely new stegosaurus sculpt either ;)
My thoughts exactly, but I don't see PNSO doing that. I could be wrong though...
So, I noticed something today on Amazon. The Stegosaurus is missing on Amazon's PNSO store or whatever you want to call it, which leads me to think... could a new Stegosaurus be on the horizon???

NOTE: Please do not think we are receiving one, this is just something I noticed.
If your prediction is right, im gonna be super excited!
until i see that pricetag

Over9K

Yes, I hope they are hollow(for pricing and shipping) and large. I can't believe companies haven't done that yet, why do they always made them solid?

Just don't tell the precious collectors that freak out when they find out sometimes these figures are hollow. The whining and complaining about the Nanmu Mosasaurus being hollow is still going on. Any time the Mosa is posted on FB, there's always the post, almost always made by someone that doesn't actually have the Mosa, about how light and cheap the figure feels (which is just not true) ... yet, nobody seems to whine about the Nanmu Apatosaurus, which is also hollow.

They'd probably lose it if they knew that, since most of these figures are rotocast, most of them have some kind of void inside their main torso...

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Over9K on January 05, 2021, 02:04:55 AM

Just don't tell the precious collectors that freak out when they find out sometimes these figures are hollow. The whining and complaining about the Nanmu Mosasaurus being hollow is still going on. Any time the Mosa is posted on FB, there's always the post, almost always made by so[]meone that doesn't actually have the Mosa, about how light and cheap the figure feels (which is just not true) ... yet, nobody seems to whine about the Nanmu Apatosaurus, which is also hollow.

They'd probably lose it if they knew that, since most of these figures are rotocast, most of them have some kind of void inside their main torso...
Wait that thing is hollow!? Then why is it so expensive, and in shipping too? to be fair nanmu figures are super expensive to begin with

Bread

I had no idea some Nanmu figures were hollow. In fact, a figure being hollow does not bother me. If PNSO do in fact plan to make any sauropods, I hope that they are not front heavy if they are indeed hollow or filled. For example, the Mamenchisaurus, although this may have been due to the genus having such a long neck. Either way, hollow or not, does not bother me, as long as it looks beautiful on the ouside. ;D

Patrx

Oh man, the Dakosaurus looks a lot better!

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Bread on January 05, 2021, 03:11:37 AM
I had no idea some Nanmu figures were hollow. In fact, a figure being hollow does not bother me. If PNSO do in fact plan to make any sauropods, I hope that they are not front heavy if they are indeed hollow or filled. For example, the Mamenchisaurus, although this may have been due to the genus having such a long neck. Either way, hollow or not, does not bother me, as long as it looks beautiful on the ouside. ;D

Yes, the apatosaurus is hollow.
And PNSO already made large hollow sauropod figures, almost all of their original releases were hollow.
In regards to hollow figures, visible seams are always going to be an issue no matter the level of sculpting is.
The problem is that with hollow figures, there must be enough thickness to attach all the parts and to account for some shrinking.
Just a slight shrinking between the different parts will result in seams being very visible.
And despite the lightweight of hollow figures, shipping will still be an issue with large figures due to their length.😃

Josesaurus rex

Hi, I don't know if you mentioned it already, but I just saw that PNSO released a Carnotaurus

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254825098903

Wallnut

J @Josesaurus rex we mentioned the carno in the PNSO new for 2021 thread.

Over9K

Quote from: Bokisaurus on January 05, 2021, 05:32:17 AM
Quote from: Bread on January 05, 2021, 03:11:37 AM

Yes, the apatosaurus is hollow.
And PNSO already made large hollow sauropod figures, almost all of their original releases were hollow.
In regards to hollow figures, visible seams are always going to be an issue no matter the level of sculpting is.
The problem is that with hollow figures, there must be enough thickness to attach all the parts and to account for some shrinking.
Just a slight shrinking between the different parts will result in seams being very visible.
And despite the lightweight of hollow figures, shipping will still be an issue with large figures due to their length.😃

Exactly. And there's a difference between being hollow and being flimsy. The Nanmu figures are the former, but are far from the latter. I'm not sure anyone would know the Mosa, or the Apatosaurus, are hollow if they had not been told. You certainly can't feel any give from the material when squeezed.

Dinoguy2

I wonder how many large figures from various lines are at least partially hollow and it's just that nobody knows about it. I was surprised to see a thread a while back of someone who cut in half a Carnegie Kronosaurus to customize it, and it was hollow. It doesn't feel hollow, because the body walls are pretty thick (1+ cm), but it is. Why shouldn't big figures be hollow? As long as they look good and feel solid it's just a waste of materials.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Josesaurus rex

Quote from: Triton TR on January 05, 2021, 06:30:45 AM
J @Josesaurus rex we mentioned the carno in the PNSO new for 2021 thread.

Okay. Thank you. I hadn't seen that thread

Over9K

Can anyone tell me if PNSO ever specified a scale for Nick The Ceratosaurus?

A quick'n'dirty calculation using Google/Wiki stats for the Ceratosaurus puts the actual scale somewhere in the 1/8th scale region... I'm just wondering of PNSO ever actually said...

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

I wish for a better version of the "Winter Wilson" in future with more minute scale work all over the body as usual for theropods. Though the shape variation of the scales is agreed but the size should be more minute. The Zhuchengtyrannus artwork as reveled by PNSO doesn't have such over sized scales over the body. So I wish they only correct this issue of Winter Wilson figure and give the beast a slightly darker color. They have remodeled their Stan Wilson many times earlier. I hope they will do the same for this new Wilson figure based on AMNH 5027.

For liplessness I shall give no comment as it is not firmly established they did posses lips. In spite the evidence is not in favor of them. So it will be entirely the artist's choice whether to give them or not.

For lips I can comment that dinosaurs, birds and crocodilians have evolved from archosaurs. So dinosaurs will be more closely related to them rather than with lizards (e.g. Komodo dragon usually taken as benchmark for possessing lips in theropods). Whether to possess lips entirely depends on common ancestry. If archosaurs didn't have lips then dinosaurs will not carry the feature. In a mail by me to Dr. Carr (where I raised all the questions for bearing lips in theropods) he commented this feature which I have stated above.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Kaustav Bhattacharyya on January 08, 2021, 06:29:05 PM
For lips I can comment that dinosaurs, birds and crocodilians have evolved from archosaurs. So dinosaurs will be more closely related to them rather than with lizards (e.g. Komodo dragon usually taken as benchmark for possessing lips in theropods). Whether to possess lips entirely depends on common ancestry. If archosaurs didn't have lips then dinosaurs will not carry the feature. In a mail by me to Dr. Carr (where I raised all the questions for bearing lips in theropods) he commented this feature which I have stated above.

Aren't archosaurs part of the clade "Sauria" which in turn also includes Lepidosauria? Can we for sure know that an earlier common ancestor from both Lepidosauromorpha and Archosauromorpha didn't have lips? If they did, couldn't the gene for lips be stored somewhere in archosaurian DNA and be selected to express itself again in theropod dinosaurs? Is it impossible for a gene(s) that has been inactive to be active again? Because some people and other animals are born with anomalies like, vestigial tail, like our ancestors, an atavism actually. Couldn't it be that a early theropod lineage had a lip gene activated as an atavism, but it proved to be useful in the long run, being then naturally selected to remain in the population.

I am in no way an expert in the subject, just trying to learn more.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Kaustav Bhattacharyya on January 08, 2021, 06:29:05 PMFor liplessness I shall give no comment as it is not firmly established they did posses lips. In spite the evidence is not in favor of them. So it will be entirely the artist's choice whether to give them or not.

There is nothing to suggest ancestral archosaurs were lipless. Crocodilians are lipless not because of having a lipless ancestor but because it fits their behaviour and anatomy, so it makes most sense that this feature evolved independently in crocodiles and is not something they inherited from a common ancestor with dinosaurs.

Also, while most birds don't have teeth to stick out of their jaws either way, it's worth noting that in those birds with beaks shorter than their jaws, such as new world vultures and dodos, the jaws soft tissues still meet and close the inside of the mouth off entirely when the mouth is closed, there is no open space as would be present in theropods if they didn't have teeth visually blocking that area.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro im not sure but maybe their Saurian ancestor had partial lips(and maybe all non-suchian archosaurs) or something like that.  Like the lips cover most of the teeth, but you can still see it. Like i said, im not sure

Bread

Daspletosaurus horneri discovery shows evidence for crocodile-like facial sensory system. This was always my argument for lack of lips for large Tyrannosaurs. I've mentioned this discovery in the past, not sure if in this thread or another, but most of the information published for this Tyrannosaur was approximately three years ago. I still don't know how or why this is never brought up when discussing the possibility of lips.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: