News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO dinosaurs

Started by Fluffysaurus, March 23, 2016, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: Bread on January 08, 2021, 07:30:32 PM
Daspletosaurus horneri discovery shows evidence for crocodile-like facial sensory system. This was always my argument for lack of lips for large Tyrannosaurs. I've mentioned this discovery in the past, not sure if in this thread or another, but most of the information published for this Tyrannosaur was approximately three years ago. I still don't know how or why this is never brought up when discussing the possibility of lips.
Because the paper was incredibly overreaching in its conclusions. These sensory organs while similar are decidedly an independently evolved feature, and could function just as well with lips in place underneath of the area they're found in. And if they were touch sensitive, they could even have been further accentuated with whisker like feathers.

suspsy

Daspletosaurus horneri discovery shows evidence for crocodile-like facial sensory system. This was always my argument for lack of lips for large Tyrannosaurs. I've mentioned this discovery in the past, not sure if in this thread or another, but most of the information published for this Tyrannosaur was approximately three years ago. I still don't know how or why this is never brought up when discussing the possibility of lips.

Uh, that paper in question has been discussed here many times. And as avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek already noted, it is anything but the definitive word on the matter. 
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 08, 2021, 08:00:44 PM
Because the paper was incredibly overreaching in its conclusions. These sensory organs while similar are decidedly an independently evolved feature, and could function just as well with lips in place underneath of the area they're found in. And if they were touch sensitive, they could even have been further accentuated with whisker like feathers.
Yes, I can agree the paper does jump to conclusion that Tyrannosaurs possessed no lips. However, the discovery still supports a possibility of lacking lips. But then again, this is my argument for lack of lips, and to me it is debatable and I do not favor either one. I am just waiting for impressions to finally settle the lips or no lips debate.

avatar_suspsy @suspsy ahhh my bad. Besides the paper being somewhat favoring one side, I still find the paper to be slightly informative. I wish there was more information about the Daspletosaurus horneri specimen.

Sim

Bread

Quote from: Sim on January 08, 2021, 08:18:41 PM
avatar_Bread @Bread, take a look at this: http://markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2018/01/did-tyrannosaurs-smile-like-crocodiles.html
Thank you! although I have read this. Very informative and his work is delightful. To me at least, I don't want to jump to conclusions on lips or no lips just yet. However, speaking in terms of figures, we have yet to receive a good lipped Tyrannosaurus, but I do love PNSO's although lacking lips (which does not bother me).

John

*wrong thread*
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Bread

Starting Monday, January 11th for those who live in the United States, Aliexpress is having a sale on PNSO products. Both Model Toy Center and My Online Toy Store are lowering their prices from Jan. 11th to the 15th. For example, their Tyrannosaurus will be going from $71 to $68 (without box variant, which I will say I received mine recently without the box and it arrived safely and was well packed).

I want to note that I am not sure if this is worldwide or just for the states. If someone outside the states could check, much appreciated.

I should also add that this is for certain stores, figures, etc. The Model Toy Center and My Online Toy Store do have most figures on sale (starting jan. 11th) but newer releases like the PNSO Carnotaurus is not having any price reduction.

stoneage

Is there a link for those stores?

Andre

Quote from: Bread on January 09, 2021, 01:55:24 AM
Starting Monday, January 11th for those who live in the United States, Aliexpress is having a sale on PNSO products. Both Model Toy Center and My Online Toy Store are lowering their prices from Jan. 11th to the 15th. For example, their Tyrannosaurus will be going from $71 to $68 (without box variant, which I will say I received mine recently without the box and it arrived safely and was well packed).

I want to note that I am not sure if this is worldwide or just for the states. If someone outside the states could check, much appreciated.

I should also add that this is for certain stores, figures, etc. The Model Toy Center and My Online Toy Store do have most figures on sale (starting jan. 11th) but newer releases like the PNSO Carnotaurus is not having any price reduction.

Yeah, I think it is worldwide.. I can already see the promotional prices..... I placed my order for the T-Rex, Qianzhou and Carno a couple of days ago, before knowing this  :'( :'( :'(

Duna

Thanks a lot, avatar_Bread @Bread It seems to be worldwide ... I may get the PNSO Sauropelta and Basilosaurus (maybe).

Ezikot

Thank you, avatar_Bread @Bread
It seems that Model Toy Center and My Online Toy Store are lowering their prices also on other products (Vitae, Nanmu, etc.).

Bread

Quote from: stoneage on January 09, 2021, 04:54:57 AM
Go to the PNSO Reference Thread, there are links to aliexpress there posted by RobinGoodfellow.

No problem everyone! There are also coupons but I am not sure how they work yet. I've read/seen a possible additional $6 off each figure if the coupons are used right. Not 100% sure though.

stoneage

Quote from: Bread on January 09, 2021, 11:53:19 AM
Quote from: stoneage on January 09, 2021, 04:54:57 AM
Go to the PNSO Reference Thread, there are links to aliexpress there posted by RobinGoodfellow.

No problem everyone! There are also coupons but I am not sure how they work yet. I've read/seen a possible additional $6 off each figure if the coupons are used right. Not 100% sure though.

Thanks

Leyster

Quote from: acro-man on December 21, 2020, 10:12:30 AM

4. Skin impressions
Little skin impressions were discovered for T-rex, but a lot for its relatives such as Tarbosaurus and Albertosaurus, which new Wilson is based on.

- the BACK. There are asymmetrically arranged trenches seperating the skin into individual "pieces" like leaf stems. Each piece consists of small, randomly shaped scales in millimeters of size. From afar, these pieces look like big plates.(17:02)

I think Chuang is seriously wrong on this, maybe he misinterpreted what's written in Bell et al (2017). The paper says:
QuoteSkin over the neck, ilium and tail is composed of minute scales (≤1 mm in diameter) arranged into somewhat trapezoidal or triangular clusters (approx. 50 mm2) separated by deeply inscribed bands of interstitial skin (figure 1a–h). These bands are slightly wider than the hinge areas between individual scales. Where the patches of integument are sufficiently large, the bands are arranged in a branching pattern reminiscent of the midrib and lateral veins on a plant leaf (figure 1b,c,f,g). The 'midrib' thus gives rise to numerous alternating lateral 'veins' that extend obliquely from the midrib and lie subparallel to one another.

Never is stated that the threnches separates patches of skin neither that they look like big plates from afar.

Source: https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsbl.2017.0092?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori%3Arid%3Acrossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub%20%200pubmed&fbclid=IwAR0Rp5UNYlYMc0q6xlV0qu3M5r78_CKNoHvAD6XQuzsnrDEziV0TPUGBkZA
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

acro-man

Quote from: Leyster on January 10, 2021, 12:37:58 PM
I think Chuang is seriously wrong on this, maybe he misinterpreted what's written in Bell et al (2017). The paper says:
QuoteSkin over the neck, ilium and tail is composed of minute scales (≤1 mm in diameter) arranged into somewhat trapezoidal or triangular clusters (approx. 50 mm2) separated by deeply inscribed bands of interstitial skin (figure 1a–h). These bands are slightly wider than the hinge areas between individual scales. Where the patches of integument are sufficiently large, the bands are arranged in a branching pattern reminiscent of the midrib and lateral veins on a plant leaf (figure 1b,c,f,g). The 'midrib' thus gives rise to numerous alternating lateral 'veins' that extend obliquely from the midrib and lie subparallel to one another.

Never is stated that the threnches separates patches of skin neither that they look like big plates from afar.

Thanks for providing the reference.

You are right. That must be my misinterpretation. The "they look like big plates from afar" part was added by me, not him. In the video, he explained the "vein" arrangement exactly as the reference you provided and I personally speculated what he said meant "the scales were so minute that they cannot be represented on the toy, only the clusters can. So we only made the clusters visible as big plates". Now, as I have the figure in hand, I can see that was terribly misinterpreted.
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Dinoguy2

Quote from: acro-man on January 10, 2021, 04:40:45 PM
Quote from: Leyster on January 10, 2021, 12:37:58 PM

Thanks for providing the reference.

You are right. That must be my misinterpretation. The "they look like big plates from afar" part was added by me, not him. In the video, he explained the "vein" arrangement exactly as the reference you provided and I personally speculated what he said meant "the scales were so minute that they cannot be represented on the toy, only the clusters can. So we only made the clusters visible as big plates". Now, as I have the figure in hand, I can see that was terribly misinterpreted.

Note that also each of the "sections" or areas between what look to be just wrinkles, rather than being big plates, are themselves only like 5 or 6 scales across. So even if they were plates or discreet sections or larger structures, they're still only 0.5 cm wide, and still would not be visible in a 1:35 figure. The structures sculpted on Wilson are palm sized at least, 5-10 cm minimum. No evidence for such large structures.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Lynx

I only really wanted "Winter Wilson" because I thought it had lips (and because it was fairly accurate). While it is not a deal-breaker, it is a little disappointing
An oversized house cat.

Over9K

Winter Wilson

As a big 5027 fan, I really dig this one...

Finally added some hadrosaurs to the collection... Audrey and Caroline

A-Shu The Qianzhousaurus is a really nice figure.

Bread

Lovely photos avatar_Over9K @Over9K
Wilson is lovely, as well as the two hadrosaurs. I have not acquired Qianzhousaurus yet, but as I see more photos, I begin to want this figure even more.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Over9K @Over9K My congratulations on your two new acquisitions. I would sincerely like to get the qianzhousaurus and the tyrannosaurus rex both from PNSO in the future. Magnificent figures although I suppose that both have strong stability problems as DTF members who have acquired both figures have already commented.

Without a doubt, the PNSO qianzhosaurus is superior in quality to its Safari counterpart in all aspects, regardless that the Safari is an outstanding figure of dinosaur not only Safari but with respect to dinosaurs in general made during the past year 2020 according to my humble and humble opinion.
On the other hand, the PNSO tyrannosaurus is a very important figure in the world of scientifically precise dinosaur collecting and, together with its counterpart from Safari and even Collecta, is on par with the genius of both figures. I have to admit that in this case I like the Safari one more in all its sculptural and painting aspects, although that PNSO figure seems more realistic.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: