News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO dinosaurs

Started by Fluffysaurus, March 23, 2016, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Quote from: Sim on January 14, 2021, 10:29:28 PM
Everyone else seems to be really enjoying PNSO's new figures, but for me there's been something that stops me wanting the figures in most cases.  It's frustrating.  For the Atopodentatus, Spinosaurus and Tyrannosaurus, they're not species I want to have a figure of.  For the Lambeosaurus and Corythosaurus, the figures just don't appeal to me.  The Sinoceratops, Machairoceratops and Pachyrhinosaurus I find ugly.  The Sauropelta and Qianzhousaurus I don't like and I have the Safari versions of.  The Tuojiangosaurus has arbitrarily painted osteoderms that is off-putting.  The Borealopelta has a dorsal side that isn't painted as well as the prototype and which seems to clash with the more detailed paintjob of the lower sides of the animal, plus I dislike that it doesn't have cheeks.  The Pinacosaurus has a weird beak and the area around its cloaca is painted a different colour.  This leaves the Miragaia and Carnotaurus out of the new figures, and I plan to give them both a chance once Everything Dinosaur gets them.  Hopefully I'll be happy with them.

If anyone thinks they can advocate for any of the above figures in order to get me to like them, please reply and I'll consider your view.  I want to like these figures, but in most cases I just don't.  For comparison, the only other PNSO figures I like and have are the Ankylosaurus, Yangchuanosaurus and Chungkingosaurus 2-pack, Mamenchisaurus and Huayangosaurus.
I do feel like you should get the T rex and Spinosaurus despite how many figures of these species are made. The Tyrannosaurus is one of the most accurate rex figures (the CollectA one is more accurate as it has lips). Plus, the figure looks really good quality wise and is (for my tastes) the perfect scale. As for the spinosaurus, it's a nice figure, but quite small. However the detail on it is amazing and in some ways even better then the rex. But if you are looking for something to actually be on scale with Wilson then you should get the original Essien, but the GR Toys spino is also on scale and looks much better.
An oversized house cat.

Dusty Wren

If you don't like PNSO's more recent figures, I don't think anyone is going to be able to make an argument that will change your mind. It's fine if none of these figures appeal to you; that happens sometimes. Just means you'll have more money to spend on something you do like.
Check out my customs thread!

Gwangi

I've mostly loved what PNSO has done so far but I'm starting to notice some things. I don't really like their theropods that much. The lipless mouths are more off-putting than usual. As though the animal isn't just lipless but like the teeth are sliding out and practically rooted on the outside of the mouth. The enlarged scales are ugly, especially on Wilson, and I'm just not a fan of how far forward Wilson seems to lean. Great figures, but just not for me, not at the price they're asking. Which brings me to...

The price. I liked the mid-size range because they were affordable, mostly being about $20 or so. Now the prices seem to be increasing while the quality remains the same.  I don't mind spending between $15-25, or even $30, but some of these are double the price which just ruins the appeal of the mid-size range all together. I realize that their size is increasing, so that increases the price, but I don't want the size to increase.

Lynx

Quote from: Gwangi on January 14, 2021, 11:50:16 PM
I've mostly loved what PNSO has done so far but I'm starting to notice some things. I don't really like their theropods that much. The lipless mouths are more off-putting than usual. As though the animal isn't just lipless but like the teeth are sliding out and practically rooted on the outside of the mouth. The enlarged scales are ugly, especially on Wilson, and I'm just not a fan of how far forward Wilson seems to lean. Great figures, but just not for me, not at the price they're asking. Which brings me to...

The price. I liked the mid-size range because they were affordable, mostly being about $20 or so. Now the prices seem to be increasing while the quality remains the same.  I don't mind spending between $15-25, or even $30, but some of these are double the price which just ruins the appeal of the mid-size range all together. I realize that their size is increasing, so that increases the price, but I don't want the size to increase.
I have also realized this. Looking at some of their older figures, they were much more affordable and the quality was still great. Now we have figures like Winter Wilson that reach a whopping 85ish dollars (shipping included) yet the quality has not improved. There are tons of other great figures that are still much cheaper price wise than what PNSO gives us. Companies like Vitae are a great example of companies who have cheaper prices than PNSO, but the quality is on par if not better. A few of their figures are pricey however you actually get what you paid for.
An oversized house cat.

Carnoking

I don't think Vitae's paint jobs are nearly as well done as the PNSO offerings, with possibly the exception of the giganotosaurus and majungasaurus, but then again those are their more premium figures so I expect that. The others have a very garish and inorganic application, which hurts their overall appeal for me.
Most of these new PNSO figures are in the price range of Papo's offerings and offer similar levels of detail and paint with the added bonus of general accuracy and less monstrous presentations. I will agree that the prices do appear to be increasing, and in some cases the quality of the final product diminishing, but the sculpt work has only improved since last year's figures in the range. I certainly think you're getting a better deal with these figures than any other in a similar price range.

Lynx

Quote from: Carnoking on January 15, 2021, 12:31:40 AM
I don't think Vitae's paint jobs are nearly as well done as the PNSO offerings, with possibly the exception of the giganotosaurus and majungasaurus, but then again those are their more premium figures so I expect that. The others have a very garish and inorganic application, which hurts their overall appeal for me.
Most of these new PNSO figures are in the price range of Papo's offerings and offer similar levels of detail and paint with the added bonus of general accuracy and less monstrous presentations. I will agree that the prices do appear to be increasing, and in some cases the quality of the final product diminishing, but the sculpt work has only improved since last year's figures in the range. I certainly think you're getting a better deal with these figures than any other in a similar price range.
I do have to agree with you on the paintjob quality. However that is nothing a little repaint can't fix. As much as I love PNSO for all the reasons it's an amazing brand, I also think Vitae is something coming close to superior with PNSO. Now I want to make it clear I do actually prefer PNSO over vitae (as I really love accurate figures). Vitae is just underrated in my eyes, I feel like they have a chance at becoming on par if not better than PNSO. Then again as one company improves over the years, the other does as well. Here is some pros and cons about both brands;

PNSO:
- More figures released (and they are very active)
- Better paint job
- Better with accuracy

- Product does not usually look at all like the prototype (Cough Cough Winter Wilson)
- The mouths can be... funky.

Vitae:
- Sculpt is pretty good
- Come with diorama bases
- Do good at standing

- Sometimes innacurate
- Worse Paint job

I'll let you all decide who you think is superior.
An oversized house cat.

Loon

I really do love the look of that Pinacosaurus. I've been waiting some time for a decent one, and while there have been attempts, none really looked that good. Luckily, for the first time a bit, PNSO seems to have really delivered. Also, the colors... Wow, a recent PNSO figure that hasn't put  me to sleep with its paint job. I know the final product is not as nice or vibrant as the prototype, but I like it. I'm happy it didn't turn out like the Borealopelta (when you cost $25, but your paint job is hardly better than a $5 CollectA figure). The whole "desert lizard" vibe just really works for me. I'll definitely be getting this one at some point.

Bread

Quote from: Lynx on January 15, 2021, 12:59:28 AM
I do have to agree with you on the paintjob quality. However that is nothing a little repaint can't fix. As much as I love PNSO for all the reasons it's an amazing brand, I also think Vitae is something coming close to superior with PNSO. Now I want to make it clear I do actually prefer PNSO over vitae (as I really love accurate figures). Vitae is just underrated in my eyes, I feel like they have a chance at becoming on par if not better than PNSO. Then again as one company improves over the years, the other does as well. Here is some pros and cons about both brands;

PNSO:
- More figures released (and they are very active)
- Better paint job
- Better with accuracy

- Product does not usually look at all like the prototype (Cough Cough Winter Wilson)
- The mouths can be... funky.

Vitae:
- Sculpt is pretty good
- Come with diorama bases
- Do good at standing

- Sometimes innacurate
- Worse Paint job

I'll let you all decide who you think is superior.
PNSO have a line that includes bases. Vitae also have figures that do not come with bases. PNSO sometimes lack accuracy with some of their products as well. As for stability, PNSO and Vitae each have their problems with that. I've seen consumers have issues with Vitae figures that do not stand (figures that do not come with bases), and PNSO figures also have stability issues based on the figure itself, some stand, others don't.
Also, some people do not expect to repaint a figure. I don't think Vitae's paint applications are bad, but they are not as good as PNSO's. Even if PNSO suffer from their final product lacking the original promotional images' applications.

For me, PNSO have two issues:
- Price
- Prototype/Promotional Images vs. Final Product

Quote from: Lynx on January 15, 2021, 12:07:36 AM

I have also realized this. Looking at some of their older figures, they were much more affordable and the quality was still great. Now we have figures like Winter Wilson that reach a whopping 85ish dollars (shipping included) yet the quality has not improved. There are tons of other great figures that are still much cheaper price wise than what PNSO gives us. Companies like Vitae are a great example of companies who have cheaper prices than PNSO, but the quality is on par if not better. A few of their figures are pricey however you actually get what you paid for.
I have to disagree with you there about prices. Vitae figures are somewhat smaller than most PNSO figures. For the newer releases of Vitae figures (that include the base and slightly improved paint application) are almost $30+ on most sites, which in my opinion these figures are more comparable to PNSO's line. For me, what ruins Vitae figures are the price point, but the cheaper alternatives (ones without bases) are pretty good too.

Flaffy

The others have a very garish and inorganic application, which hurts their overall appeal for me.
Even the Jinyunpelta? To me, that ankylosaur is a shining example of Vitae at its best. But for the older repainted figures I agree though.

I will agree that the prices do appear to be increasing, and in some cases the quality of the final product diminishing, but the sculpt work has only improved since last year's figures in the range.
I personally don't feel the same way. The scale-work on the recent most releases feels very forced, especially on the theropods. As if the sculptor was overly-focused on cramming as much detail onto the sculpt as possible, not taking the time to step back and observe how well the excessive detail contributes to the overall "look" of the figure.

Quote from: Lynx on January 15, 2021, 12:59:28 AM
PNSO:
- Better with accuracy

Vitae:
- Sometimes innacurate
I honestly don't find PNSO's accuracy to be any better than Vitae's. Both companies offer nearly flawless figures alongside ones that are riddled with issues.

Lynx

In conclusion, I find PNSO to be better than Vitae at the moment. PNSO has tons of figures pumping out like they grow on trees, the figures are quite accurate, and overall paint job and all are better than Vitae.
An oversized house cat.

Carnoking

@Flayffy

The jinyunpelta is easily the most tempting offering I've seen from vitae since the giga, I will agree. Someday I hope to add it to the collection, but I'm in no hurry at the moment given how vitae is no longer a company I feel I need to focus on (too much competition I'm afraid)

I will agree that some of PNSO's new offerings are stuffed to the gills with sculpt work, but there are other more subtle offerings that far and away exceed their older works, even from their resurgence in 2019. The corythosaurus, lambeosaurus, borealopelta, and spinosaurus, are all shining examples in my eyes when it comes to naturalistic and appealing sculpt work. I understand where the whole distaste for over texturing comes from. There are some companies that do it just to give their models a bit of artistic merit, but it comes at the cost of the figure looking synthetic and busy rather than organic. I know that because of this and actual scientific evidence, a lot of collectors out there desire and gravitate towards more subtle sculpts. But when it comes to my opinion, as long as I can look at a sculpt and all the detail work feels organic, thought out, and well rendered, I won't complain. And so far I haven't felt that any of the new PNSO offerings have had that unappealing busy look, especially in hand when all the washes that brings all of that extra detail out in the promo images are absent.

SRF

After two weeks of no updates of the track & trace information, my Winter Wilson is apparently through customs in my home country. That means it should only be a matter of days before it reaches my doorstep. In that case my Amazon-order has taken about a month reach me. That's not too bad seeing other people's experiences with Amazon!

I have to say PNSO's offering is actually pulling me back in the Dinosaur model collecting business. I wasn't planning on buying many more models, but the Spinosaurus, Sinoceratos and especially the Qianzhousaurus really have caught my eye. And I'm still on the fence if I like the Carnotaurus enough to consider as well. But I will wait till all these models are available in European stores anyway, so nothing to worry about right now. I think... :)
But today, I'm just being father

Bread

Quote from: SRF on January 15, 2021, 01:16:24 PM
After two weeks of no updates of the track & trace information, my Winter Wilson is apparently through customs in my home country. That means it should only be a matter of days before it reaches my doorstep. In that case my Amazon-order has taken about a month reach me. That's not too bad seeing other people's experiences with Amazon!

And I'm still on the fence if I like the Carnotaurus enough to consider as well.
That's some good news. I hope your package arrives safely at your doorstep.

I ordered the Carnotaurus about a week ago on Aliexpress, along with the Pinacosaurus. Hopefully they should be here in the next few weeks. I will post some pictures of it as soon as possible. I too am kind of on the fence about the figure, but I wanted to give it a chance. I am worried about the quality control of the teeth.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Honestly I prefer the 'badly painted teeth' on the Carnotaurus, because that way I can pretend it is part of the mouth and it has oddly shaped lips
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Dinoguy2

FWIW, I actually prefer the paint on many of the Vitae figures to PNSO. I think it tends to look good on some PNSO figures due to the larger scale and therefore more detailed sculpts, but PNSO's tend to be rather drab and I don't really like this new tendency to have dark washes on the spikes, teeth, etc. Sede and the Tuojiangosaurus are excellent, no doubt. Best in class in terms of paint (though Tuo has those slightly sloppy osteoderms, they're not very noticeable when it's on the shelf). Vitae's stuff is smaller and glossier (which as a Carnegie focus collector I actually kind of prefer), but the paint to me looks more nicely applied and less airbrushed overall. Vitae has that more hand-crafted feel IMO. So while PNSO has some of what are far and away the best figures right now, Vitae seems to be more consistently good across the board.

I'm looking at my Vitae Wuerhosaurus right now and I simply love the way it feels in hand and the paint application, which seems to be generally considered Vitae's worst for some reason, I actually really love. It's a great little figure that reminds me of 90s Carnegies and Battats.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Duna

I agree 110% with your opinion. In fact you have summed it up perfectly and better explained than me, as English is not my mother language.

Sim

avatar_Lynx @Lynx, CollectA's T. rex doesn't have lips.

Quote from: Dusty Wren on January 14, 2021, 11:26:43 PM
If you don't like PNSO's more recent figures, I don't think anyone is going to be able to make an argument that will change your mind. It's fine if none of these figures appeal to you; that happens sometimes. Just means you'll have more money to spend on something you do like.

Thanks avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren.  It also means I'll have more precious space!

The enlarged scales are ugly, especially on Wilson

Interesting avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi.  I like how the scales look on PNSO's new T. rex but I don't like the enlarged scales on the Carnotaurus.  I'm still planning to give it a chance though, since I like the figure otherwise.

Carnoking

Alright everyone, what's this week's reveal going to be?

Lynx

Quote from: Sim on January 15, 2021, 08:56:08 PM

Thanks avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren.  It also means I'll have more precious space!

Interesting avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi.  I like how the scales look on PNSO's new T. rex but I don't like the enlarged scales on the Carnotaurus.  I'm still planning to give it a chance though, since I like the figure otherwise.
I am referring to the "T rex with prey" avatar_Sim @Sim
An oversized house cat.

Gwangi

Quote from: Sim on January 15, 2021, 08:56:08 PM

avatar_Sim @Sim, the scales bother me on both but yeah, they're far more offensive on the Carnotaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: