News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

General discussion - public

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 11:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Lio99 on March 23, 2012, 12:12:46 PM
hey does anyone wonder what will collecting dinosaurs be like in the future, like in 20 years.
Because most dinosaur companies only started more than a decade ago, so I wander how rare invictas would be and battats.
Some of the papo dinosaurs would even start becoming rare. what's your opinion?   
The best thing about collecting in 20 years: Carnegie 50th anniversary dinosaurs! I also expect some to go out of busniess (Just not Safari or CollectA) or just stop making dinosaurs, and new companies might pop up or start producing dinosaurs.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Tylosaurus

hey does anyone wonder what will collecting dinosaurs be like in the future, like in 20 years.
Because most dinosaur companies only started more than a decade ago, so I wander how rare invictas would be and battats.
Well we'll have a lot more new species to collect by then and maybe the older ones we all know of today will be better detailed perhaps?

ZoPteryx

Rare figures will get rarer, but I don't see current figures becoming all that rare.  They're already very accurate (for the most part), so unless some huge life-changing discovery is made, I don't know why they would be redone or retired.  On the other hand, the animal toy market could crash and companies start making digital dinos instead, downloadable (for a price) like music and videos, and then you print out the model on your own 3D printer.  You can print as many as you'd like, but you have to buy the raw plastic for the printer and buy paint scheme downloads if you don't want to paint them yourself.  And then, 50 years later, toy dinos will be robots, develop a secret society like in Toy Story, and eventually, take over the world! :o

Or, it could be very different...

CityRaptor

Some Toy Dinosaurs are already Robots

I would say the future toys would include more feathered Dinosaurs, even Velociraptors, after some big movie has been made with feathered Dinosaurs.
However some Chinasaurs would still look like they looked back in the 80s.
Generally one can see current trends coninuing.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

brontodocus

Unfortunately Ugobe, the company that made Pleo, went out of business a few years ago. :( So at least this one will not set a trend, I'm afraid. Although I liked the idea very much, it was of course also very expensive.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

DinoToyForum

I reviewed this figure on the Dinosaur Toy Blog way back in 2007:
http://www.dinotoyblog.com/2007/09/28/pleo-dinosaur-a-ugobe-life-form-senario/
Back then, DTB reviews consisted of little more that a paragraph. And I mostly didn't know what I was talking about! :-[
I suppose things haven't changed that much...

Tylosaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on March 28, 2012, 03:25:47 PM
I reviewed this figure on the Dinosaur Toy Blog way back in 2007:
http://www.dinotoyblog.com/2007/09/28/pleo-dinosaur-a-ugobe-life-form-senario/
Back then, DTB reviews consisted of little more that a paragraph. And I mostly didn't know what I was talking about! :-[
I suppose things haven't changed that much...
You did the most important thing, which is show the world what was new on the market Dino robotics based, your description is perfect too, nothing to be ashamed of mate :)

brontodocus

At that time you wrote the review, everything was fine, Ugobe went out of business later, perhaps in 2010 or so, so no need to worry. :)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

CityRaptor

Kinda sad.  But judging by Wikipedia ( I know not the best source, but there are other sources linked ), Pleo lives on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleo

The second Generation ( without skin )

Reminds me of IDW's take on Sludge ( who also lost his skin )
Oh no

Tylosaurus

yeah here's the official page of the company which bought over UGOBE's Pleo:
http://www.jetta.com.hk/main.asp?c=news&p=4

At least the name Pleo remained the same heh.

CityRaptor

Not totally, as it is now Pleo RB. Which is fitting, given that Pleo was "ReBorn".
I would totally get one myself, if it wasn't so expensive. Don't have the money ( and I'm not exactly willing ) to spend so much on a single Dinosaur...
Oh no

tyrantqueen

I think Carnegie and CollectA will most likely still be going. I not so sure about Papo, though. Papo only appeared on the dino scene a few years back, to produce mostly Jurassic Park inspired toys. They are not interested in following the latest scientific discoveries, but prefer to base their dinosaurs on pop culture depictions.
That is more restrictive for them, and they most likely will run out of popular dinosaurs to sculpt...but I'm only speculating *shrug*

Maybe Papo could start their own scientifically accurate line....that would be cool.
Because the study of dinosaurs and palentology is constantly evolving, there is plenty for Carnegie and other scientifically inspired companies to keep adding to their roster of toys, as well as going back and resculpting old ones, because of the increase in knowledge.
With Papo it's kinda a dead end. There's only so many times you can sculpt a Jurassic Park T-Rex before it gets stale.

Just my opinion, I love Papo, but I'm being realistic here  8)

CityRaptor

They could probably find other pop culture Dinosaurs other than Jurassic Park. They have shown that in some cases. Maybe they could make a line of Retro Dinosaurs. I think a Crystal Palace Iguanodon would be nifty.
Oh no

tyrantqueen

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 28, 2012, 08:04:55 PM
They could probably find other pop culture Dinosaurs other than Jurassic Park. They have shown that in some cases. Maybe they could make a line of Retro Dinosaurs. I think a Crystal Palace Iguanodon would be nifty.
Favorite already did that, I believe.  8)

They're both gorgeous, wish I had them :'(

Tylosaurus

ZOMG! They look awsums! :o :o :o
The details are impressive too :D

CityRaptor

Problem is that they are Desktop Models, not Toys. I also think that Papo could do a good job with them.
Or some other company.
Imagine a Crystal Palace Set ( anyone else thinks that sounds like something out of a toyline for girls?)
Or maybe a set depicting various stages in Paleo-Art.
For Iguanodon it would include the Crystal Palace, 50s and modern Versions.
For Tyrannosaurus it could be Knight, Zallinger ( Potbellied ) and modern Versions.
Etc.

Oh no

Takama

Papo still has other PoP sources culture to rip off
(WW=walking with)

WWD

Disney's DINOSAUR( the Pachyrhinosaurus came from that)

Dinosaur Revolution

Jurassic park redemption

WWB

NatGeo Sea Monsters.

Dinotopia

Jurassic Park the Game

CityRaptor

Also
Planet Dinosaur
Dinosaur King

Ofcourse there is also the Dinosaurs of the Jurassic Park Movies themselves, which haven't been made into figures yet.
Dilophosaurus, Gallimimus etc...and Baby Dinosaurs. Given that they made Baby Rexes, the could aswell also made a Baby Trike and a Baby Stego. They probably could have made them this year, but they opted for two little furballs instead...
Oh no

DinoFan45

Hey! Those fur balls look cute. I'd get them, if I didn't already have four baby mammoths from the one safari line which name I cannot remember.
"Life will find a way."

EmperorDinobot

I don't really know what happened here.

But I don't like it.

Not

One

Bit.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: