News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

General discussion - public

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 11:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reuben03

I'd love to say hi to everyone at the natural history museum in london or smthn, that would be superb!

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

EmperorDinobot

I would hope that to be the case, avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono , yes.

BlueKrono

avatar_EmperorDinobot @EmperorDinobot
I'd like that. I've never been to England before, but I would definitely pay a visit to the Crystal Palace dinosaurs and Lyme Regis. And I'd visit Loch Ness again!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

EmperorDinobot

avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono I am definitely going to Loch Ness. My special "pal" lives in Glasgow and I've told him that I HAVE to go there, and that it is not negotiable. Hopefully a year from now we'll take a selfie and I can post it here. Maybe Nessie will be waving on the background.

A boy can dream. Been dreaming of visiting Scotland since I was a wee child and now I got several reasons to do so. Hopefully we all get vaccinated and somewhat immune by then. I just really REALLY need to get the lab job. I'm calling tomorrow and see what's the status of my application.

Stegotyranno420

Not sure were it was supposed to go but where can one find skeletal of more obscure species, and by obsucre, i mean obscure but not a few bones or fragments. Like something we have a good idea of, but not generally recognized
I want to make artwork of more obscure creatures, as i noticed the most liked artists often implement obscure animals in their art.
The problem is when you search for skeletals, you only see repeats of popular animals, with the occasional obscure one, but those are usually only dinosaurs and very rare.

Newt

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 - I don't know of any repository of obscure skeletal drawings. Of course some species have never had skeletals made for them. A skeletal is a lot of work and it's not a given that someone will have taken the time to make one for every animal, even ones known from fairly complete remains. Other skeletals exist in the primary literature but are difficult to find online.

If there is a particular species you are looking for, we can try to help you find it. If no skeletal is available, you can make your own using bone measurements from the literature and filling in missing data from similar species. I'm going to have to do that for my next sculpture subject.

Tyto_Theropod

Hi everyone.  I've only been on here sporadically over the last couple years, so I suppose I'd better come clean and make it official: DTF has changed and so have I.  I'm not trying to say that either of these are bad things.  Change, after all, is the only constant in life.  What I mean is that me and the forum have sort of gone our separate ways.  Many of the members I used to really enjoy engaging with back when I was more active don't post anymore.  I respect everyone who's still here, and hope that I have never come over as rude or standoffish with them, but I've just found I'm not enjoying it as much.  Keeping up with all the threads was stressing me out more than it was giving me pleasure.

This isn't me leaving or anything - I'll probably still post stuff occasionally in the areas of the forum that interest me, and I'll certainly post any repainting and modding I do.  Also, feel free to mention me, reply to my posts or ask me questions if you want to ask me a question or correct something I've said.  However, given how infrequently I log in, I'm afraid I cannot guarantee that I'll get back to you quickly.

In the meantime, I hope you're all safe and well and that this year is treating everyone here better than last year did.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Stegotyranno420

[deleted] problem solved

SidB

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on March 21, 2021, 05:44:19 PM
Hi everyone.  I've only been on here sporadically over the last couple years, so I suppose I'd better come clean and make it official: DTF has changed and so have I.  I'm not trying to say that either of these are bad things.  Change, after all, is the only constant in life.  What I mean is that me and the forum have sort of gone our separate ways.  Many of the members I used to really enjoy engaging with back when I was more active don't post anymore.  I respect everyone who's still here, and hope that I have never come over as rude or standoffish with them, but I've just found I'm not enjoying it as much.  Keeping up with all the threads was stressing me out more than it was giving me pleasure.

This isn't me leaving or anything - I'll probably still post stuff occasionally in the areas of the forum that interest me, and I'll certainly post any repainting and modding I do.  Also, feel free to mention me, reply to my posts or ask me questions if you want to ask me a question or correct something I've said.  However, given how infrequently I log in, I'm afraid I cannot guarantee that I'll get back to you quickly.

In the meantime, I hope you're all safe and well and that this year is treating everyone here better than last year did.
I wish you well too, as I'm sure many here do also, not that you're about to vanish, right! But, yes, there has been more than a bit of a "sea change" in the DTF over the last while, though it's not easy to categorically state one reason why, specifically. I've noticed the tone change in certain ways, mostly innocuous, a couple not so positive, though the latter was primarily over the last six months leading up to the last Christmastide. A certain number of old stalwarts seem to have gone missing, so out of speculative interest I perused the membership rolls and it seemed that approximately a dozen or so 1000 plus posters had either stopped posting or had slowed down to virtually a drip of contributions over the last year or two. I've found that more than a bit sad as most  had been fixtures from before I gave up my "lurking" ways and joined in 2016. Change WILL occur, though we don't always have to like it.

Ravonium

Yeah, this forum, especially for its size, seems to have a fairly high turnover rate of active users; even when I was only a lurker, it struck me how many users from throughout the years (including from the old forum) with 500-1000+ posts were barely active anymore (and that was back in 2016).

Halichoeres

I have very little experience with other forums of this type, honestly. I post very occasionally at ATF and STS, but that's really it. Is the turnover rate actually abnormally high?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

It's my only forum so I have no insight into "average" turnover. However, I don't think it's abnormal for people to come into a hobby, pursue it for a few years, or even less, then move onto something else. Interests often change over time.

Halichoeres

Yeah, that's true enough. There have been some notably stormy exits, but I don't have any frame of reference for how common that sort of thing is. avatar_Ravonium @Ravonium, for what it's worth, I always enjoyed your contributions when you were more active. :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Libraraptor

Reading the former posts I sometimes think I am a living fossil.  I regret every member leaving,  but as you correctly stated,  the only constant in life is change.

postsaurischian

Although I'm also missing some inspiring contributers I try to see it the positive way.
Isn't it amazing how many members from the old DTF days are still posting regularly? :)

SidB

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 04, 2021, 05:25:13 PM
Although I'm also missing some inspiring contributers I try to see it the positive way.
Isn't it amazing how many members from the old DTF days are still posting regularly? :)
True, the cup is still pretty full, and has plenty of promise for the future.

EmperorDinobot

Hey everyone, I have a question, and it goes as follows:

(Maybe I should ask in Spring is in the Air)

A lot of symposiums and events catering to our interests regarding the past, and the recording of the past have been happening, most online, and most are free thanks to associated partners. Do we have a thread for the advertisement of said events? For example, I'm currently watching presentations given by the Northwest Anthropological Association link here: https://app.socio.events/OTU0OA/Overview/121102 (it's free but they would prefer it if you'd get a ticket, tomorrow's the last day, themes are heavy on job searching and archaeology this year), and I was wondering if we could create a thread to compile these sorts of things so that some of us may attend and gain some insights in the world of science. I was asking because these are kind of clubby type organizations if you know what I mean, and I don't wanna bring any stragglers in, but at the same time said stragglers would find this kind of information useful, so I don't know. Just a thought. Or question.

Post Data:

avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03 I really like your Eryops animation. I find myself following it sometimes and wading left and right with it  ;D

Halichoeres

avatar_EmperorDinobot @EmperorDinobot I think these sorts of posts have been going in the museums & theme parks section, but mostly because museums are often hosting the events.

EmperorDinobot

Stegotyranno420

Very Arbitrary but does anyone here remember Mr Bean(Original, not the cartoon)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: