News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/35 Scale Carnotaurus sastrei "Crimson King"

Started by joossa, July 17, 2016, 11:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

You guys are weird.
I don't see anything wrong with it.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Derek.McManus on September 24, 2016, 01:46:14 PM
Since lots of Rebor models are inspired by dinosaur movies I wonder if they could do 'Gwangi' or Allosaurs Rex as Ray Harryhausen referred to the creature!

Doubt it, Gwangi isn't awesomebro enough.

Rain

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 24, 2016, 03:41:02 PM
You guys are weird.
I don't see anything wrong with it.

The skull is a tiny bit too wide, also looks a bit too big in the original picture. It does look a bit better in the pictures I posted though. But yeah it isn't as bad as we're making it out to be. I think the lips are what's turning me off for now. I might get it depending on how the final product looks though.

RobinGoodfellow

Excuse me but are they so different (brand apart..) ?

https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14435009_954067691386906_1184076358806240308_o.jpg

http://s230.photobucket.com/user/Weeze1990/media/Prehistoric%20collection/cmcarno3_zps6d3d657b.png.html

...maybe I'm wrong but why Rebor is awesomebro while CM Studio is accurate (and I'm not a Rebor fan) ?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on September 24, 2016, 05:08:32 PM

https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14435009_954067691386906_1184076358806240308_o.jpg

http://s230.photobucket.com/user/Weeze1990/media/Prehistoric%20collection/cmcarno3_zps6d3d657b.png.html

...maybe I'm wrong but why do Rebor is awesomebro while CM Studio is accurate (and I'm not a Rebor fan) ?

I don't even own that Carnotaurus anymore. Sold it.

And while Rebor's Carnotaurus isn't overtly awesomebro, I consider the Carnotaurus that inspired it to be.

Jose S.M.

I don't see anything too horrible in it either, but it's a little sad that they based the sculpt on a very altered version of Carnotaurus. At least it's less bulky that the movie's version.

stargatedalek

Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on September 24, 2016, 05:08:32 PM

...maybe I'm wrong but why do Rebor is awesomebro while CM Studio is accurate (and I'm not a Rebor fan) ?
They are very different. The CM Studio Carnotaurus is somewhat shrink-wrapped, but at least it's "accurate to the animals skeleton". The REBOR Carnotaurus is simultaneously shrink-wrapped and to bulky, they've given it giant bulging muscles, an immense and incorrectly shaped skull, "horns" that are the wrong shape and to large even for the oversized skull, and then managed to shrink-wrap it anyway by basically ignoring all the general flesh and even a lot of the muscle mass. It's like they tried to make Carnotaurus even "beefier" and then removed the parts that didn't make it look like a body builder making it shrink-wrapped.

Halichoeres

Quote from: joossa on September 23, 2016, 10:01:34 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 22, 2016, 04:31:32 PM
Does anyone believe this will be in 1:35? Have they ever made anything in 1:35?
Do you think it will be smaller or larger than 1:35? I know you are pretty good at keeping track what a more accurate scale is for their figures, but forgot if they tend to make them bigger or smaller. IIRC, its the former, correct? Or does it just vary?

I think it will be larger. The only one I own from their 1:35 line is the Ceratosaurus, which is about 1:25. I think the Tyrannosaurus, Yutyrannus, and Utahraptor are probably in a similar scale based on photos I've seen next to Papo figures and the like. They are roughly to scale with each other, at least.

Is the snout actually much too broad? I can't really be sure from the angles shown so far. Is this reconstruction from the description of Majungasaurus out of date? Or, put another way, is there any indication that the extreme narrowness of the holotype skull could be an artifact of taphonomy?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 24, 2016, 07:05:13 PM
Is the snout actually much too broad? I can't really be sure from the angles shown so far. Is this reconstruction from the description of Majungasaurus out of date? Or, put another way, is there any indication that the extreme narrowness of the holotype skull could be an artifact of taphonomy?

Doubtful, Carnotaurus skull is remarkably well known and comes from intact remains. In addition, the narrow shape of the skull matches well with proposed hunting behavior that is well suited to the other unusual aspects of its morphology.

Halichoeres

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 24, 2016, 07:25:41 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 24, 2016, 07:05:13 PM

Doubtful, Carnotaurus skull is remarkably well known and comes from intact remains. In addition, the narrow shape of the skull matches well with proposed hunting behavior that is well suited to the other unusual aspects of its morphology.

Right, I know it's intact, but I'm just asking if it was compressed somewhat. The reconstruction from the paper definitely looks broader-snouted than the skull itself.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dobber

The head looks really big to me compared to the body.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

stargatedalek

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 24, 2016, 07:36:28 PMRight, I know it's intact, but I'm just asking if it was compressed somewhat. The reconstruction from the paper definitely looks broader-snouted than the skull itself.
I've seen some reconstructions where the upper jaw widens near the tip, but I'd be hesitant to use them as most of them vary a lot from each other and from the typical reconstruction, which leads me to stick with them being speculative or even mistaken. The wider cranium also no longer lines up with the shortened lower jaw, even if you widen it too.

I just realized, did you mean the diagram you posted is wider? It seems pretty consistent from what I'm seeing.

Shadowknight1

Eh.  Looks okay, but I have a Papo Carno, don't need another one.  I will say, the spikes seem pretty conservative for REBOR.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

AcroSauroTaurus

Well, I like Carnotaurus, and it looks good enough for me. All the photos have the head as the closest part of it, so that might make the head look too big. And we really can't complain about the lips since i guess theropods are now known to have had them. It doesn't look too bad to me. (You guys that aren't too fond of it can wait for me to make one for my figure line. ;)
I am the Dinosaur King!

tanystropheus

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on September 25, 2016, 04:49:14 AM
Well, I like Carnotaurus, and it looks good enough for me. All the photos have the head as the closest part of it, so that might make the head look too big. And we really can't complain about the lips since i guess theropods are now known to have had them. It doesn't look too bad to me. (You guys that aren't too fond of it can wait for me to make one for my figure line. ;)

Exactly, I think the angles are making the head look a bit big. I doubt that REBOR's final Carnotaurus model will be any more or less accurate than the models released by Papo or Carnegie. I think the criticisms are minor, akin to comparing the difference between 900p and 1080p resolutions. It's big enough to cause forum wars, but, in reality, quite negligible.

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 25, 2016, 04:59:35 AM
Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on September 25, 2016, 04:49:14 AM

Exactly, I think the angles are making the head look a bit big. I doubt that REBOR's final Carnotaurus model will be any more or less accurate than the models released by Papo or Carnegie. I think the criticisms are minor, akin to comparing the difference between 900p and 1080p resolutions. It's big enough to cause forum wars, but, in reality, quite negligible.

I sort of wish Rebor would quit with all the teases and just wait to show something once it's finished, with all the color photos and angles they can possibly throw at us.

utd7

I was disappointed when the picture was complete but the additional ones they released has redeemed it slightly but am still not happy that it will be based on the Disney version.

At least it will be accurately scaled as they said it will be yutyrannus and ceratosaurus size. I agree totally with Victoria b that they should cut down on the teases and better explain their forthcoming plans rather than just occasionally replying to someone on Facebook about what's next. Anyway I am a sucker for carnotaurus and will definitely buy the Crimson King
We live in a Jurassic World

Silvanusaurus

I really don't get how this is 'awesomebro', nothing about it looks cool; the proportions are schleichian, the face looks vacant and in portrait at least; ridiculous, the sculpt has no finesse, somehow it's too detailed, and if it is an attempt to replicate the look and character of the Disney monster, which would be fine in itself, it's failed on every level, because it doesn't resemble it at all. Was this based on pure childhood memory and a quick scan of amateur fan art? They've taken one of the most inherently 'cool' dinosaurs, as it is already in real life, and in attempting to make an exaggerated imaginary version of it, have ended up with something that looks like an clown!
Fair enough, the additional angles don't like quite as bad, but they don't change how infinitely unimpressive and pointless the design is.
This has confirmed for me what I've suspected for a while; it isn't that Rebor is that bad, but they literally bring nothing at all to the table; they are an eternally damp squib and I don't have the patience for them.

empire3569

Well, it could be better, but it could be worse. It doesn't look as big and bulky as the Disney version, but the head still looks a little big/wide and the arms a little too large. Honestly though the proportions don't look too different from the Papo model. Ill have to see more angles/color photos before I make a final decision, but I am just glad it isn't completely based off the Disney Carnotaurus.

Lanthanotus

I am not a big fan of Carnotaurus no matter who made it (though I ordered the Kaiyodo one to have one in my collection), but I like the fact Rebor added lips to the critter, after all I always thought the teeth baring overbite in theropods ridiculous and unrealistic. My biggest complain with Rebor's design would so far be, that they managed to add another shrink wrap headed theropod  that can't see what's in front of itself. Fan choice color,... somewhat nice idea, but the result is soo, I dunno,.... how could that poor mob ever had a bite on any potential prey if giving away it's presence from miles away with these colors?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: