News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/35 Scale Carnotaurus sastrei "Crimson King"

Started by joossa, July 17, 2016, 11:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on September 25, 2016, 03:38:30 PM

Fair enough, the additional angles don't like quite as bad, but they don't change how infinitely unimpressive and pointless the design is.
This has confirmed for me what I've suspected for a while; it isn't that Rebor is that bad, but they literally bring nothing at all to the table; they are an eternally damp squib and I don't have the patience for them.

If you replace REBOR with Kinto Favorite Collection, it would read the same way. Perhaps, REBOR is at fault for hyping up all their products and having an impact on our expectations with respect to future products.

pylraster

I knew it. Either way, an easy pass.

stargatedalek

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 25, 2016, 05:29:41 PM

Fair enough, the additional angles don't like quite as bad, but they don't change how infinitely unimpressive and pointless the design is.
This has confirmed for me what I've suspected for a while; it isn't that Rebor is that bad, but they literally bring nothing at all to the table; they are an eternally damp squib and I don't have the patience for them.

If you replace REBOR with Kinto Favorite Collection, it would read the same way.
Except for Cambrian species, an accurate Archelon, and lots of the things from the various Expo sets...

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 25, 2016, 06:32:42 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on September 25, 2016, 05:29:41 PM

If you replace REBOR with Kinto Favorite Collection, it would read the same way.
Except for Cambrian species, an accurate Archelon, and lots of the things from the various Expo sets...

I was mostly referring to the poses, which are often uninspired in the Kinto Favorite Collection. I think Kinto likes the neutral, static pose. Most of REBOR's models have a dynamic pose (except, the Compy and the Carnotaurus).

If REBOR released an entire line of dinosaur toys with static, dull and uninspired poses, folks would curse their very existence (unless they've upped the accuracy by a huge margin)

However, you make a good point about the exclusive sets, and spin-off series. Those items generally maintain a dynamic diorama feel.

The Archelon is beautiful. Is it available at retail? Any online store?

stargatedalek

I personally prefer a static pose if it isn't part of a set. A single animal of a species I like to be able to display on its own, as if in a museum, but if there's a few of it they can make for a good diorama. Most (but not by any means all) Favorite Kinto are also still intended to be sold as toys equivalent to Safari or CollectA, they only cost a lot for us because of the nature of over-seas purchasing.

I'm not sure where the Archelon is available, I'd like to pick one up myself some time.

joossa

I do wish Rebor would experiment with more dynamic poses using their figures' bases. Now that they used pegs and peg holes on the Winston raptor, that is. I guess they would have to perfect that first, but something like this for future theropods would be great, but it's wishful thinking...

Interestingly, the Sideshow piece has no lips and the exposed gums are, I think, what I like least about it.

And yes, the arms and horns on the Rebor model are far to large. I'm sure the painted version will impress me, though.

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Victoria's Cantina

^That Carnotaurus is incredibly impressive.

I agree that a more dynamic pose for this particular dinosaur makes good sense. It's just a naturally cool looking dino, so it's a bit of a shame they don't appear to have taken advantage of that. As I mentioned previously, it'll be easier to judge once we see more angles and color photos. And most likely, I'll probably be adding it to my collection.

It's actually quite hard to believe this is their first (and possibly only) 1/35 scale dinosaur this year.

Tim

I think they will follow last years pattern of one corpse and three dinos for this line this year.  We have the dead Tenonto, the upcoming Carno, and they said that the Deino threesome were coming this year too.  That leaves one more, and they mentioned 'something big' coming for the end of the year.  Maybe, finally, a sauropod?

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Lanthanotus on September 25, 2016, 05:20:17 PM
I am not a big fan of Carnotaurus no matter who made it (though I ordered the Kaiyodo one to have one in my collection), but I like the fact Rebor added lips to the critter, after all I always thought the teeth baring overbite in theropods ridiculous and unrealistic[...]
I also like the lips.

Quote from: Lanthanotus on September 25, 2016, 05:20:17 PM
[...]Fan choice color,... somewhat nice idea, but the result is soo, I dunno,.... how could that poor mob ever had a bite on any potential prey if giving away it's presence from miles away with these colors?
Theory 1) Its a male that uses its bright colors to display to females. So his harem girls share their prey with him.
Theory 2) Its a perfect camuflage for lava fields. As popular culture shows that dinosaurs lived near volcanos.
Theory 3) Rebor loves their fans so much, that is imperative to fullfil their wishes no matter who paleontologist (or DTF member) disagress with them.

As for me... I'll get it to accompany my Papo and Carnegie ones.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Megalosaurus on September 27, 2016, 11:17:24 PM
[...]
Theory 2) Its a perfect camuflage for lava fields. As popular culture shows that dinosaurs lived near volcanos.
[...]

You convinced me, it makes perfect sense :)

Raptorqueen89

Wow so much negativity towards this figure, I personally love what Rebor has released so far.  I don't want every figure as I'm fairly picky too, however, I feel the quality is solid regardless of how "accurate" their representations are.  I feel that there are so many dinosaur snobs on this forum; so much complaining.  I enjoy accurate dinosaurs as much as the next nerd but if you really don't like it, why bother posting about it?  I guess my argument is, unless you are a paleontologist or an anatomist you don't really know the intricacies of the entire anatomical "accurate" makeup of these animals.  We can get close but isn't that the fun of imagining and creating varying representations?  I guess dinosaur fans will always be divided :(

Bucklander

Quote from: Raptorqueen89 on November 05, 2016, 02:35:04 AM
Wow so much negativity towards this figure, I personally love what Rebor has released so far.  I don't want every figure as I'm fairly picky too, however, I feel the quality is solid regardless of how "accurate" their representations are.  I feel that there are so many dinosaur snobs on this forum; so much complaining.  I enjoy accurate dinosaurs as much as the next nerd but if you really don't like it, why bother posting about it?  I guess my argument is, unless you are a paleontologist or an anatomist you don't really know the intricacies of the entire anatomical "accurate" makeup of these animals.  We can get close but isn't that the fun of imagining and creating varying representations?  I guess dinosaur fans will always be divided :(
WARNING Strong response incoming...

"snobs"! WTF! Are people not entitled to voice their opinions unless they accord to your criteria - I'm guessing, mindlessly, sheepishly loving and accepting whatever garbage various companies want to dump on the market (please note, I'm not specifically referring to Rebor here, I actually have all of their standard figures, and will also pick up the Carnotaurus when it's released) or, if not, keeping quiet about it. Conversation, dialogue is about a coming together of difference of opinion, not a politically correct, uncritical rehash of standard popular sentiment.

The members of this forum are individuals with varying tastes and opinions. You lump us all together as "nerds" then suggest that if we haven't got anything nice to say, we shouldn't say anything at all. Do you not see the contradiction (double standard)? You are being critical of people who are being critical! Perhaps you should keep your criticism to yourself? According to your own reasoning, you should. Thankfully however, free speech is not yet entirely dead, and may yet see a comeback! So insult us, if you wish, it is your right. Just expect a backlash when you do!!! (apologies for multiple exclamation marks). >:( 

Bucklander

Further, what better way is there for we (the dumb masses of nerds who are not paleontologists or experts in comparative anatomy) to develop an understanding of dinosaur anatomy and current research, than through figures? Books will help some, but for children and people like myself who don't know how to read and write(?!) Figures (and moving pictures) are the most powerful means of education >:D

Bucklander

>:D

Raptorqueen89

wow I guess I rest my case...negative people.  I never said anyone wasn't entitled to their opinion but I just feel there is so much hate on this forum...unless all dinosaur models are "accurate" they are rejected and torn to shreds.  I like the fact that there are so many different toy companies like CollectA that release beautiful accurate models, however I also enjoy the pop culture that Rebor brings to the table.  I wish we could just appreciate what each dinosaur company is trying to accomplish.

Flaffy

There is a search engine called Google nowadays that can help you search up any dinosaur skeletal reference, including the carnotaurus. You don't need to be a palaeontologist or anatomist to search up a skeletal reference and compare he accuracy of a figure.
Snobs? That's harsh. Some people just simply know more about dinosaurs or prehistoric critters than others. And on this forum, most of us learn from each other and share knowledge and understanding of these prehistoric beasts.
Some people are biased (including me) towards Rebor due to them acting very rude and childish towards our fellow forum members, therefore a little more negativity than usual. Probably you missed the incident, who knows. Either way, they haven't changed their ways as far as know.
Regarding the figure, we judge every figure by each of our own standards. Most of the members of this forum prefer accurate figures, some might desire 99.9% accuracy, others just buy what they like.

Raptorqueen89

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on November 05, 2016, 03:32:44 AM
There is a search engine called Google nowadays that can help you search up any dinosaur skeletal reference, including the carnotaurus. You don't need to be a palaeontologist or anatomist to search up a skeletal reference and compare he accuracy of a figure.
Snobs? That's harsh. Some people just simply know more about dinosaurs or prehistoric critters than others. And on this forum, most of us learn from each other and share knowledge and understanding of these prehistoric beasts.
Some people are biased (including me) towards Rebor due to them acting very rude and childish towards our fellow forum members, therefore a little more negativity than usual. Probably you missed the incident, who knows. Either way, they haven't changed their ways as far as know.
Regarding the figure, we judge every figure by each of our own standards. Most of the members of this forum prefer accurate figures, some might desire 99.9% accuracy, others just buy what they like.

I apologize, I didn't think the world snob would be so offensive. It wasn't my intention.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Raptorqueen89 on November 05, 2016, 03:23:37 AM
wow I guess I rest my case...negative people.  I never said anyone wasn't entitled to their opinion but I just feel there is so much hate on this forum...unless all dinosaur models are "accurate" they are rejected and torn to shreds.  I like the fact that there are so many different toy companies like CollectA that release beautiful accurate models, however I also enjoy the pop culture that Rebor brings to the table.  I wish we could just appreciate what each dinosaur company is trying to accomplish.
This has nothing to do with whether REBOR is creating accurate models or not. They have in the past outright lied and claimed their figures were produced in accuracy, they have attacked bi-standers, competitors, and critics alike, and ahve nothing but the most outright deplorable behavior imaginable for an allegedly professional entity.

Not to mention paying homage to pop-culture representations is very different from outright copying designs, which is what REBOR does.

Raptorqueen89

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 05, 2016, 03:59:41 AM
This has nothing to do with whether REBOR is creating accurate models or not. They have in the past outright lied and claimed their figures were produced in accuracy, they have attacked bi-standers, competitors, and critics alike, and ahve nothing but the most outright deplorable behavior imaginable for an allegedly professional entity.

Not to mention paying homage to pop-culture representations is very different from outright copying designs, which is what REBOR does.

Which designs has Rebor copied?  I know the Acro looks suspect to me but I love it regardless.

Takama

IT is also sicking to see dinosaurs being treated as a free canvas when it comes to sculptures.   If Rebor made a modern Lion with similar proportion issues to this Carnotarus and claimed it to be Scientifically accurate Would people still be defending them?  Dinosaurs are not fictinal creatures they are real animals, and they must be replicated according to current research, and dont give the classic "we will never see one in real life, because they are all extinct" excuse for making different interpretations. If this model were on display next to a mounted skeleton of the real animal in a museum, it would look absolutely ridiculous, as if the sculptor barly had a idea of what the real thing looked like. The legs on this model are to thick, and the head is too robust, Carnoturaus was a slim, animal with a very thin skull, and the sculptor of this model ignored those features because he does know crap about dinosaurs.

Quote from: Raptorqueen89 on November 05, 2016, 04:17:06 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on November 05, 2016, 03:59:41 AM

Which designs has Rebor copied?  I know the Acro looks suspect to me but I love it regardless.

UM

There T.rex is a blatant Rip off of the Ever popular Jurassic Park T.Rex(which is more accurate then Rebors model, because unlike that model, The Onscreen Dinosaur had the creatures signature binocular vision).   Plus There Raptor Hatchlings blind box figurines are all based on colors used in those movies.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: